FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2021 4:07 PM  #1

Has anyone here tried those wet sand blaster kits for steel?

I have read some good reviews on the cheap blaster and replacement nozzles. I'm just not sure on the product to use to help prevent against flash rust right after. I've found hold tite and rediblast I beleive are the two that they were. Also for material play sand medium I've heard works well.

Anyone have any other experience with wet sand blasting?

6/28/2021 7:15 PM  #2

Re: Has anyone here tried those wet sand blaster kits for steel?

I've seen a few questions asked about wet blasting on my other favorite forum, SPI. There's two things I've seen the painters mentioned. 1. it's a giant muddy mess if not contained correctly, which honestly it seems like all sandblasting is a giant mess 2. the chemicals that are put on or added to the mixture can interfere with primer/paint adhesion. It is super important to remove or neutralize whatever it put on the car to keep it from flash rusting.

Bunch of threads over on the SPI forums, here's a good one. http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?threads/dustless-blasting.5121/

6/28/2021 9:50 PM  #3

You don't mean the Dustless Sandblaster do you?!
If so I would definitely take a pass..........
If not done right....it will ruin some stuff
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/28/2021 10:50 PM  #4

Im talking about wet sand blasting with like a honda 3600 psi unit along with a sand blaster attachment for the gun. A bucket to hold my blast material. I see the site mention using this tiny little bottle for flash rusting obviously meant for a smaller scale. I did find this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J594B52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_7A31F608P6ENRSEAHR2J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Second  this product talks about after using Evaporust
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3RL1KB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_6YR5R1BNEAMR1HDM44N6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Third also talks about after using Evaporust
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJZIJ24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_2GFW976TPDRKBS9K9W91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

6/28/2021 11:17 PM  #5

Raymond_B wrote:

I've seen a few questions asked about wet blasting on my other favorite forum, SPI. There's two things I've seen the painters mentioned. 1. it's a giant muddy mess if not contained correctly, which honestly it seems like all sandblasting is a giant mess 2. the chemicals that are put on or added to the mixture can interfere with primer/paint adhesion. It is super important to remove or neutralize whatever it put on the car to keep it from flash rusting.

Bunch of threads over on the SPI forums, here's a good one. http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?threads/dustless-blasting.5121/

Thank you for the post I didnt really think about the Mud affect from the dustless blasting, in one area I may not like it that I need to sand blast the under side of the package tray. And also onthe roof structure.  I plan On removing my roof skin here shortly after I finish the floor wheelhouses and trunk floor.

6/29/2021 4:53 AM  #6

There's a lot of different media for all types of blasting.  One that easily prevents rust is baking soda.  The downside is it doesn't work well on heavily rusted parts, but you can always start with something more aggressive and finish up with soda. 

Blasting things that don't fit in a cabinet is going to be messy.  Dry blasting creates dust and media goes everywhere.  I don't know if that's better or worse that sludge and water going everywhere.

6/29/2021 8:49 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

There's a lot of different media for all types of blasting.  One that easily prevents rust is baking soda.  The downside is it doesn't work well on heavily rusted parts, but you can always start with something more aggressive and finish up with soda. 

Blasting things that don't fit in a cabinet is going to be messy.  Dry blasting creates dust and media goes everywhere.  I don't know if that's better or worse that sludge and water going everywhere.

Not to mention soda MUST be neutralized before painting and that is no easy task with all the nooks and crannies.

6/29/2021 10:25 AM  #8

"One that easily prevents rust is baking soda.  The downside is it doesn't work well on heavily rusted parts, but you can always start with something more aggressive and finish up with soda."

When I had my 69 soda blasted 25 years ago they started with soda, then finished with crushed glass. The glass worked well on the inner trunk floor, but ruined the deck lid finish panel.

"Not to mention soda MUST be neutralized before painting and that is no easy task with all the nooks and crannies."

True story, and a pita.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/29/2021 12:02 PM  #9

T74Y
After I clean any metal by blasting or sanding or whatever method.
Treat with Kleen Strip Prep and etch mixed to a 25% solution and spray on using a garden sprayer it will dry to a powdery look but will protect surface from oxidizing further.

Cman

Last edited by cman66 (6/29/2021 5:44 PM)

6/30/2021 1:12 AM  #10

Thank you cman66 I always kinda wondered the best way to use that stuff I know its available at lowes. Just never used it itsnt it like phosphoric acid or something like that?

6/30/2021 1:24 AM  #11

When originally thought about wet blasting the roof structure I was planning on using sand either 80grit garnet or alot of people use glass or play sand after straining it. I was thinking it wouldnt be to bug of a deal because I have the majority of the back end torn off.

I have removed taillight panel trunk floor shock mount crossmember both rear seat extensions inner wheel wells alomost just have to finish cutting. Need to remove both quarter skin and replace with full quarters. Then I need to also remove my Roof Skin still just recieved some new tools in the mail to drill the spot welds on the drip rails. Im still however debating drilling the spot welds on the drip rails or use a small dremel rotary zip wheel and carefully slice the flange off the roof skin along each sides drip rails. Then drill or maybe try using the other method on spot welds and use  a small rotary ziz wheel go over the tops of each spot weld I kinda ruled that out I was thinking to many spot weld close together??dunno

6/30/2021 1:42 AM  #12

My biggest problem area right now that I can see can easily be patched its on corner of the inner structure near the rear glass but seams to be mainly some spot welds one small hole. But the inner part of not sides of the the structure look clean even on the box part looks pretty good. The only area I dont know about is the outside part of the roof structure above the wheel house. Definitely If I help install quarter panels I will definitely suggest pulling the roof when the car looks kinda crust better off in the long run. When I helped install the quarter skins i cleaned up what I could on the roof structure it looked pretty clean but I still need to pull the roof to clean the rest of the roof. Then Pretty much the only thing that I won't need to touch is the cowl but really I probably should atleast pull the Cowl top shouldn't I? After removing my heater box I looked up inside the cowl and its really pretty clean from what I could see. And same goes for what I can see through the grille bars but I do realize there's a decent area you can't see. Anyone here ever try a inspection camera? I guess I could try that then its its good get a spray bomb of some good frame coating with the long straw  and coat the inside the best I can.

Last edited by True74yamaha (6/30/2021 1:47 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.