FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2013 9:49 PM  #1

Daylight !!! between headers and shock towers!!!

I was quite impressed with the way Tubo's 331 and headers fit in his 65 fastback.  I was actually envious of all the room around the headers.

Well, just dumb luck, the JBA shorties I am using on the stroker motor have alot of clearance also, unlike the Hedman long tubes I have fought with since 1997.  Hallelujah!  This car is going to be like a stocker to work on there is so much room.  I am very pleased with the way everything is fitting together.

39 days to the BASH!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/20/2013 9:32 AM  #2

Re: Daylight !!! between headers and shock towers!!!

I've never owned a pair of shorty headers.   What would worry me is leaking around exhaust flange.  Unless you have a lift it
doesn't look like the easiest place to get in there to tighten the bolts down.   

Steve69

8/20/2013 10:25 AM  #3

The bottom 2 bolts are on a ball/socket type connection that is exactly the same thing as used on all 5.0 Fox Mustangs.  I doubt it will require much attention, and they do not tyically leak.  I can get to all the bolts on the head flange quite easily with a box end 3/8" wrench.

The connection at the bottom is so much better than the 3-bolt flange that I used to drag across speedbumps there is no comparison.

8/20/2013 12:04 PM  #4

hummmmm seems to be missing brake line  WTF

8/20/2013 1:22 PM  #5

That's awesome, while mine's on the Rotisserie I am totally doing that Steve, do you think you could rent the template tool out?

8/20/2013 7:24 PM  #6

Raymond, just pay the shipping and you can keep it until somebody else needs it.  All I ask is that it gets passed along when needed.

8/20/2013 7:41 PM  #7

MustangSteve wrote:

Raymond, just pay the shipping and you can keep it until somebody else needs it.  All I ask is that it gets passed along when needed.

Deal! I'll PM you so we can work out the details.

8/20/2013 8:04 PM  #8

Should have added... Forum members are free to use it.  I just don't want it getting loaned out to a friend-of-a-friend where it tends to disappear into oblivion.  If a forum member has it, a simple post on the forum suach as WHERE IS IT? should suffice to get it returned or passed on to the next one who needs it.

8/20/2013 8:09 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Should have added... Forum members are free to use it.  I just don't want it getting loaned out to a friend-of-a-friend where it tends to disappear into oblivion.  If a forum member has it, a simple post on the forum suach as WHERE IS IT? should suffice to get it returned or passed on to the next one who needs it.

100% agree! It will be in my possesion until another forum member needs it or if you like I can send it back to you for safe keeping until someone else needs it. I am just appreciative to be able to borrow it!

8/20/2013 8:28 PM  #10

You can adjust the pen depth so you can mark as much or as little as you wish to remove.  Bolts up the the original UCA pivot shaft bolt holes in the shock tower. Email me for info to get it delivered.

8/21/2013 2:01 PM  #11

I'm so gonna do that I'm already welding on the towers to strengthen 'em for the 390 good Idea

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/21/2013 3:45 PM  #12

The tool only works on 65/66.  The 67-70 already has plenty of room.

9/15/2013 6:11 PM  #13

What kind of headers did Tubo use? I am in the market for some headers.

9/16/2013 8:50 PM  #14

DBROWN wrote:

What kind of headers did Tubo use? I am in the market for some headers.

Here's a great thread on headers from the old forum for 65/66 302 based cars - insert at discussion of Hedman 88406. I just bought a set of these for the 66/302 with basically the same setup that JEM is showing in the thread. They look like they'll fit with no issues and like JEM says are probably not the best for a high output motor but should work great for the rest of us.

http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/archive/1295653047.html

(Pinto!)

9/17/2013 6:09 AM  #15

McStang wrote:

Here's a great thread on headers from the old forum for 65/66 302 based cars - insert at discussion of Hedman 88406. I just bought a set of these for the 66/302 with basically the same setup that JEM is showing in the thread. They look like they'll fit with no issues and like JEM says are probably not the best for a high output motor but should work great for the rest of us.

http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/archive/1295653047.html

I put a set of those on my 66 last winter. They do fit well but be careful on the drivers side. With the T5 and late model bell with cable clutch, the collector is really tight to the ear on the bell for the cable. I rotated the adapter as far to the left as possible for clearance but it is still pretty tight to the end of the cable sheaf. I pulled the cable towards the engine with tie wraps and wrapped it in reflective tape. Got about a thousand miles on it so far with no problems. Just letting you know what to look for. They are good headers.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

9/17/2013 7:38 PM  #16

Thanks for the feedback Al.

(Pinto!)

9/17/2013 8:52 PM  #17

Great Idea, when I Built my Factory Five Cobra Replica,someone had a special made up Upper control Arm Socket and The FF5 Forum had a page you could follow to see who used it 

worked great, was free to receive and when done you paid shipping to the Next Guy everyone knew where it was and could be added to list  to borrow

Jimmy O

10/25/2014 7:47 PM  #18

So what gives?

I am doing a 427 Windsor with Dart block and AFR heads/ TCP rack and pinion in my 1966 Mustang Fastback. I am removing my 351 Windsor that used the Heddman headers.

I purchased the JBA headers that everyone has had good luck with and have found they do not fit well at all. The passenger side exhaust tube closest to the radiator is sitting against the engine wall-shock tower. It will not allow the motor to drop into the motor mount. The collector is also riding up against my bell housing. The driver side is also hitting the engine wall-shock tower.

Using Dart block/JBA 1653S coated headers/ 1966 style polyurethane motor mounts/ AFR heads 1458/ stock 1966 aluminum bell housing.

10/25/2014 8:46 PM  #19

MustangSteve wrote:

I was quite impressed with the way Tubo's 331 and headers fit in his 65 fastback.  I was actually envious of all the room around the headers.

Well, just dumb luck, the JBA shorties I am using on the stroker motor have alot of clearance also, unlike the Hedman long tubes I have fought with since 1997.  Hallelujah!  This car is going to be like a stocker to work on there is so much room.  I am very pleased with the way everything is fitting together.

39 days to the BASH!

MS - did you have the same problem I had with the JBA Shorty headers? I had to grind off 1/2" off a protrusion on the block ('76 block) so that the #4 tube would clear. (see before pic) Final installation gave me about 3/16" clearance. No such problem on the passenger side.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/26/2014 9:51 AM  #20

I am using a Dart big bore aluminum block (351W based) and ARF 205 heads in my 66.  The headers themselves have zero fitment issues.  They bolted right up and do not hit anything (except a too-long RF UCA mounting bolt that was remedied without modifying the headers)  The H pipe that I bought with the JBA complete 2-1/2" stainless exhaust system was a joke and there was no way it would fit, nor would the crossover tubes even come close to lining up with each other.

Shaving the shock towers was done because a previous owner had hammered the humps into a bent mess.  The mess did not show with the old Hedman headers, but with the better-fitting JBA's, it showed.  Mainly the flat areas give alot more room for the big wrench required to get to the UCA nuts.  The headers would have fit fine trimmed or not trimmed.

If anyone wants to use the template tool ,just let me know.

I rebuilt the H pipe and basically modified the entire bottom of the car to fit it.  The rest of the system fit perfect.

10/26/2014 10:53 AM  #21

I found that when using JBA 1650's, adjustable engine mounts will over come any "fitment" issues.
They let you find the sweet spot where everything has the clearance you want.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/26/2014 2:17 PM  #22

I have 66 with 5.0 and stock heads. I used the JBA ceramic shorties for the 5.0. I also have a set of repro 67 and newer motor mounts that JBA reccommended. I have about a sheet of paper gap between the passenger sided shock tower and the header tube. The driver side has more gap, maybe 1/2 inch or so. Although I used all the reccomended parts the header is too tight on the passenger side. Adjusable motor mounts or a BFH "BIG FINETUNING Hammer" will probably work, but after paying for parts that are said to work...... Too many variances from car to car and part to part I guess.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.