FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2013 8:20 PM  #1

AOD install

Ok, I've mentioned getting my car out of a shop after 11 yrs.  So here's the deal. The shop mated the AOD to the 351, but they didn't put any fluid in the torque converter and the eng. is in the car now.
Do I need to pull the tranny and put fluid in the converter?  Or can I just fill it upon eng. start up?
I heard conflicting answers.

8/23/2013 8:23 PM  #2

Re: AOD install

8/23/2013 8:32 PM  #3

The front pump is driven by flats on the snout of the torque convertor which is bolted to the flex plate.  I wouldn't start the engine up just yet.  Crank the motor with the starter for short spurts, not enough to get the starter hot, but short spurts between letting it cool down and eventually the fluid will get into the convertor.  Watch your fluid level before cranking and after you crank a while.  Hope that is clear as mud.

Last edited by retired 65 (8/23/2013 8:33 PM)

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

8/23/2013 10:23 PM  #4

So would cranking it, without fuel be a way to do it? Just so that everything rotates until the fluid in trany all gets put in there?  Is that what you mean?

8/24/2013 12:05 AM  #5

Yeah, shut off the fuel. If you have no intention of firing off the engine, no sense in washing off any lube on the cyl walls.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/24/2013 7:54 AM  #6

also just take out the spark plugs,, that puppy will spin spin spin  

8/24/2013 9:22 PM  #7

Ok,  will do. Boy that sure is easier than taking the trany out!  Thanks guys

Last edited by Ozblitz (8/24/2013 9:22 PM)

8/26/2013 9:06 PM  #8

If you have a flat tappet cam in the new 351W, and the cam has NOT been broken in yet, I would NOT do that procedure.  Altough it is a good method to get the oil to the converter, it is also a good way to wipe out a cam lobe if the cam is not already broken in.

When a new cam is installed, it is coated with a special lube.  As you crank it slowly, that lube is going to get wiped off the lobes without the benefit of "splash" oil, which is the only way a cam lobe gets lubricated by engine oil.  That is why a cam manufacturer will tell you to run the engine at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes or so to break in a new flat tappet cam.  At 2000 RPM, there is lots of oil being tossed around in the crankcase, and the cam lobes get plenty of lube.  Running it slow, or cranking it alot without starting and going immediately to high RPM is a good way to wipe out a lobe.

If you have a roller cam, then go for it, because it won't hurt the cam at all.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/27/2013 10:31 AM  #9

you could remove the pushrods to take the stress off the cam lobes

8/27/2013 12:46 PM  #10

GT350 wrote:

you could remove the pushrods to take the stress off the cam lobes

Well.......might as well just drop the trans considering the work time involved.

If you got'a roller then spinning it should be a good fix

I always wondered......(here goes) with a flat tappet cam,on break-in.....would a quart or two extra oil in pan be beneficial?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/27/2013 8:47 PM  #11

If there is a drain plug. You can back fill it. Use a squeeze bottle and force the fluid in.

Cut to fit, Pound to shape, Paint to match

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.