FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2021 9:49 AM  #1

I'm getting ready for winter,,, are you ?

HA  This was a REAL mod in 1931,,   talk about rare  

11/20/2021 10:39 AM  #2

Re: I'm getting ready for winter,,, are you ?

There are companies that still sell those kits for modern trucks.  There was a company that did the conversions up in Allentown, PA when I was going to college up there.  Each wheel was replaced with a triangular track assembly.  No skis in the front though. 

11/21/2021 11:47 AM  #3

Don, hope you don't need that option in Texas!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/21/2021 1:53 PM  #4

Do I have a choice?

Never ready, got other stuff I’d rather do instead.

11/21/2021 2:20 PM  #5

Nos681 wrote:

Do I have a choice?

Winter? Not here Dan....

11/22/2021 7:49 AM  #6

We had enough of PA winters. Camper is packed full headed for southern AZ. for the duration. My stack of firewood back home will have to wait for another time.

11/22/2021 9:19 AM  #7

red351 wrote:

We had enough of PA winters. Camper is packed full headed for southern AZ. for the duration. My stack of firewood back home will have to wait for another time.

No side trips to Myrtle Beach, eh?! 
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/22/2021 10:06 AM  #8

Here in central California I haven’t even turned on the heater in the house yet.  The last previous record was November 15th for turning on the heater.  Wednesday it’s supposed to hit a low of 38, first time in the 30’s. If it dips into the teens here then oranges freeze and small towns get decimated economically. We have full almond blossom and peach blossom bloom in February. Fog is the real winter problem here. Schools on fog schedule start and get out about 2 hours late.  School busses have strobe lights to help being seen.  Freeway pileups cuz idiots don’t slow down or trucks trying to cross highways getting hit.  Although that hasn’t really happened much during the recent drought years.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (11/22/2021 10:18 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

11/23/2021 12:26 PM  #9

Nos681 wrote:

Do I have a choice?

I've been cutting firewood also that last couple of weekends!

11/23/2021 12:36 PM  #10

11/23/2021 7:52 PM  #11

Steve 
To be Mustang related, you need to pull that trailer with your 69.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/23/2021 8:38 PM  #12

I am getting ready for winter by NOT installing the new engine in my boat until spring. That way I don’t have to winterize it and the block won’t blow the side out from freezing again

I always wondered why all our school buses have the strobe lights flashing on the roof as they go down the road.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/23/2021 8:44 PM  #13

I now have a new plaque on the wall, courtesy of the Texas winter of ‘21

11/23/2021 10:19 PM  #14

Proof that freeze/expansion plugs are misnamed?  Some JB Weld should fix that right up.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

11/23/2021 10:27 PM  #15

Muzz 66 wrote:

Proof that freeze/expansion plugs are misnamed?  Some JB Weld should fix that right up.

Correct about the core plugs being misnamed. The plugs were still in place after the carnage.

11/23/2021 10:38 PM  #16

Freeze plug holes are actually put there to get the core casting sand out.

Last edited by Rudi (11/23/2021 10:40 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/23/2021 11:31 PM  #17

Alan wrote:

Steve 
To be Mustang related, you need to pull that trailer with your 69.

Or he could add some Mustang wheels…
Right MS? 😁

fatigued emojis

11/24/2021 8:31 AM  #18

Rudi wrote:

Freeze plug holes are actually put there to get the core casting sand out.

Yep, they're properly called core plugs.  I had a block crack from freezing once too.  None of the plugs moved in it either.  I agree with Muzz 66: JB Weld that back together and rock on.  Scary how thin that casting is. 

11/24/2021 9:04 AM  #19

With the surface area of that hole at 14 psi I doubt JB weld would hold.
Ford pioneered “thin wall” block casting with the intro of the 1960’s Falcon i6 and carried over to the 221 v8.
The 221 was the grand pappy of our SBF’s.b

Last edited by Rudi (11/24/2021 9:11 AM)

11/24/2021 11:14 AM  #20

Rudi wrote:

Ford pioneered “thin wall” block casting with the intro of the 1960’s Falcon i6 and carried over to the 221 v8.

Don't mean to start a food fight but I always thought that the 1955 bowtie 265 was the first modern production engine to have thin-wall castings.  Ford was still using the old Y-block and FE engines until 1960-ish.  

Dunno.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/24/2021 11:53 AM  #21

You could be right John!
I know less about chevy’s than what little I know about Fords.😃

11/24/2021 2:08 PM  #22

He's right.  The 265 debuted in '55, but things really got going in '57 when they brought out the 283.  The 283 was available with Rochester fuel injection and was the first commonly available powerplant to hit 1HP/cubic inch. 

11/24/2021 2:33 PM  #23

John Ha wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Don't mean to start a food fight but I always thought that the 1955 bowtie 265 was the first modern production engine to have thin-wall castings.  Ford was still using the old Y-block and FE engines until 1960-ish.  

Dunno.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Just discovered an interesting forum quirk.  My original post as I wrote it said "... 1955 C h e v r o l e t ..." (brand name spelled originally without the spaces).  When it posted, "C h e v r o l e t" was changed to "bowtie". 

I find that irritating.  I try hard to make my posts concise and clear with proper spelling and don't think it's appropriate for someone else to impose their crappy, slangy editing preferences automatically on my post without my permission or at least giving me the choice of using or not using the alternative.  The brand name is "C h e v r o l e t", not "bowtie".

Board owner - Please fix that.  Or, if you prefer, make it consistent and have all occurrances of "Ford" in all the posts changed to "blue oval" (or "BO").  Either way is fine with me.

Last edited by John Ha (11/24/2021 2:44 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/24/2021 2:40 PM  #24

John Ha wrote:

John Ha wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Dunno.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Just discovered an interesting forum quirk.  My original post as written said "1955 C h e v r o l e t" (without the spaces).  When it posted, C h e v r o l e t was changed to "bowtie". 

I'm irritated about that.  I try really hard to make my posts concise and clear with proper spelling and don't really think it's appropriate for someone else to impose their slangy editing preference automatically on my post without my permission.  The brand name is C h e v r o l e t, not "bowtie". 

Board owner - Please fix that.

Deal with it, John
MS

11/24/2021 3:29 PM  #25

bowtie spelled with no spaces.

C h e v r o l e t spelled with spaces.

Chev rolet with one space.

bowtie all lower case no space.

Chevy as spelled.

Gotta admit, at least someone has a sense of humor.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.