FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2022 9:30 AM  #1

Giving in on body work. Called in my buddy to help.

My long time friend who had taught me how to perform body work and paint is willing to help out with the bodywork on my 66.  I offered to pay him well for his services.  I just don’t have enough time and lacking motivation, so I feel this is my best option to getting my project closer to paint.

I pride myself in saying I do all my own work but I just can’t take seeing the project sit.  It may be a week or two before we can get this going but I’m excited and just maybe there’s  some light at the end of this bodywork tunnel I’m stuck in.  He’s the only person I trust and he’s helped me a lot over the years.  I’ll make this very worth his while.

2/03/2022 9:53 AM  #2

Re: Giving in on body work. Called in my buddy to help.

There comes a time when we all could use help from other trusted friends.
No one will think less of you for getting the project rolling towards completion.
After many years of playing with cars I am very familiar with body work and can say in all honesty I hate it more than any other job involved.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/03/2022 9:58 AM  #3

Rudi wrote:

No one will think less of you for getting the project rolling towards completion.
After many years of playing with cars I am very familiar with body work and can say in all honesty I hate it more than any other job involved.

I use to some what enjoy it but now I can stand it.  Since I started this I’ve told everyone I do all my own work.  Won’t be able to say that now.

2/03/2022 10:23 AM  #4

I did not do the body and paint on my '67.  Doubtful I'll do it on my '89 either.  Lack of proper facilities are a major determinant for me.  I'll pay to have the car shot in a booth rather than a plastic contraption with box fans.  In the end I care more about results than being able to say I did 100% of it myself.  Couldn't say that anyway, because I had parts powder coated at a local shop.  I didn't do the machine work on the engine either.  The more you think about it, I highly doubt ANYONE truly does 100% of the work on their car themselves.  High 90% is a lot more realistic. 

2/03/2022 12:05 PM  #5

Just get it BASH READY, not matter who does it!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/03/2022 2:14 PM  #6

MS wrote:

Just get it BASH READY, not matter who does it!

It may not be this year but I’ll do my best.  Hopefully, once I see some major progress I’ll get that motivation I had when I first got the project.   Once in color it may be more the money that holds me back than time.

2/03/2022 2:22 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

I did not do the body and paint on my '67.  Doubtful I'll do it on my '89 either.  Lack of proper facilities are a major determinant for me.  I'll pay to have the car shot in a booth rather than a plastic contraption with box fans.  In the end I care more about results than being able to say I did 100% of it myself.  Couldn't say that anyway, because I had parts powder coated at a local shop.  I didn't do the machine work on the engine either.  The more you think about it, I highly doubt ANYONE truly does 100% of the work on their car themselves.  High 90% is a lot more realistic. 

Paint booth. . . . . I don’t need no stinkin paint booth🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/03/2022 5:48 PM  #8

After prepping and painting a dozen cars over the previous 50 years I made the decision to have someone else do the metal and paint on the heap back in 13/14.  I can honestly say that while it is not perfect and that I am a bit disappointed in the paint, the metal and body work seems to be top drawer.  And, with the paint as is I can drive it all over the country without worrying about a stone chip, etc.  
So best I can recommend  is...suck it up and be happy.  Any guilt feelings you have over not doing it yourself will be overcome by the pleasure of racking up the miles.
I mean...if it were a new one you would have only stroked a check.
BB1 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/03/2022 5:50 PM  #9

Incidentally, when I told Mrs. BB that I was going to have someone else do the body and paint she looked me in the eye and said............thank you.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/03/2022 7:07 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Incidentally, when I told Mrs. BB that I was going to have someone else do the body and paint she looked me in the eye and said............thank you.

Sounds like my wife.  She’s really been pushing me to get it done. 

I’ll welcome my buddies help and will gladly let everyone know he was/will be a big help.  I think I’m more excited he’s able me help than anything else. I do have about 75% of the drivers side done and had started the rear and passenger side quarter so it’s god a decent amount of bodywork started. 

I’m already trying to figure out costs of parts that I need and in what order I’ll need to buy them in.  Helps with the planning on the savings I’ll need.

2/03/2022 8:12 PM  #11

Just checking to make sure I haven't lost my mind...or confirm that I have.  Do you still have those rivet sets I loaned to you some time ago?  Still have a note on my bulletin board.
BB

2/04/2022 5:20 AM  #12

Rudi wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Paint booth. . . . . I don’t need no stinkin paint booth🤪

If you can still find lacquer paint anyway.  Put it on with a paint roller.  About 20 coats should do it.  Then just cut the hell out of it and buff it out.  I read an old article once where they did that with a VW Beetle. 

2/04/2022 9:43 AM  #13

I do know that some body shops around me just roll on primers and sand it back to near nothing. I don't know why I didn't think of that year's ago instead of spraying it.

2/04/2022 12:01 PM  #14

red351 wrote:

I do know that some body shops around me just roll on primers and sand it back to near nothing. I don't know why I didn't think of that year's ago instead of spraying it.

Yep.  Who needs fingerprints anyway?

2/06/2022 5:46 PM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

Just checking to make sure I haven't lost my mind...or confirm that I have.  Do you still have those rivet sets I loaned to you some time ago?  Still have a note on my bulletin board.
BB

Yes I do and sadly have not gotten that far but I do have all our messages saved.  If you need them I can ship them back.   I can’t decide if I want to have them done in black chrome or….

2/06/2022 5:47 PM  #16

My buddy couldn’t make it this weekend to discuss details so hopefully next weekend.   Now that he has planted this idea in my head I’m becoming a little impatient.    Lol

4/28/2022 2:23 PM  #17

My buddy still has not been able to drive down to help.  He ended up having to run the shop of a friend of his who had surgery and then ended up having some major issues from the surgery.  

The good news is he was able to grab the epoxy primer and sanding primer and dropped it off yesterday.  He brought paint cups, stirring stick, strainers, mixers that mount on the top of the gallon cans and two board sanders.  Several weeks back I had ordered all the sand paper I needed a couple more sanding blocks.

I had also rebuilt the one sander he has so I could use it and I also rebuilt one of his air chisels.  So my plan is to start back on the car by myself.  I'm getting the bug to work on it again.  With the air body tools I should be able to make some good progress instead of doing it all by hand like I was before.

4/28/2022 5:29 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ehhhhh. just lie about it!  (like most car guys at these shows) 

Funny......it only takes a few minutes chatting with the owners of most cars in a show to tell if they "built-it........or bought-it".
One thing  fer sure........IF the paint & finish is a real 'heart-stopper' and everybody is drool'in all over it...telling 'em  a real good "bud-of-yours" shot it is a real compliment  for your pal.
No harm there fer sure.

It is VERY RARE anymore to run across a really nice ride that the owner built the entire thang!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2022 6:20 AM  #19

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ehhhhh. just lie about it! (like most car guys at these shows)

Funny......it only takes a few minutes chatting with the owners of most cars in a show to tell if they "built-it........or bought-it".
One thing fer sure........IF the paint & finish is a real 'heart-stopper' and everybody is drool'in all over it...telling 'em a real good "bud-of-yours" shot it is a real compliment for your pal.
No harm there fer sure.

It is VERY RARE anymore to run across a really nice ride that the owner built the entire thang!!
6sal6

At this point it will be completely done by me and I would happily give my buddy credit.  I have no problem with that.  I'm not building the car to brag.  Just want to have one to drive again and build with my son.

4/29/2022 9:49 AM  #20

I just rebuilt the 10.5" rear in my F250 myself, and I'd LOVE to be able to say someone else did it.  I'm finally feeling right almost a week later.  My '89 is taking up my 2 post lift (no front end under it) and I haven't got my 4 post set up yet, so I ended up doing it outside on the pad.  The diff with ring gear and bearings weighs about 90lbs.  Needed a dozen or so setups to get the R&P pattern right.  She's right, and she'll last, but the toll on my body anymore...

4/29/2022 12:17 PM  #21

TKOPerformance wrote:

I just rebuilt the 10.5" rear in my F250 myself, and I'd LOVE to be able to say someone else did it.  I'm finally feeling right almost a week later.  My '89 is taking up my 2 post lift (no front end under it) and I haven't got my 4 post set up yet, so I ended up doing it outside on the pad.  The diff with ring gear and bearings weighs about 90lbs.  Needed a dozen or so setups to get the R&P pattern right.  She's right, and she'll last, but the toll on my body anymore...

I recently installed 4.10 gears in my 2010 F150 that has the 9.75 rear axle.  We also bought and rebuilt a trac loc for it.   Me and my son did this while I was in a sling from just having surgery from a Grade 5 AC separation.  Si I had to have him do most of the work.  He loved it.  Not many kids get to do this kind of stuff any more.

I like to take a set of bearings and hone them out for set ups.  This way I do not have to press them on and off every time.

I was going to install the ford 3.73 gears I have but found the 4.10 gears which are ford pieces for a great price.  With the tire size I have it's like running a 3.73 with a stock tire size.  Absolutely love the truck with the 4.10 gears.

4/29/2022 1:26 PM  #22

Rudi wrote:

Like Clint Eastwood said: "A man's gotta know his limitations". The body work and paint on my 68 was done by a friend who was quite good at it. I helped with the prep work, and did all the teardown, cleanup and reinstallation of the components. The engine work was done by a shop, but I again did the reassemble and install, and I also did the rebuild of the 4R70W transmission, and all the suspension and interior work. I worked within my "limitations" but got the car done. And like Lenin said " the end will justify the means".

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/29/2022 1:46 PM  #23

Well I hope to post some progress pictures of the body work tomorrow.  Hopefully I can get my son out there to help.  He's been so busy with end of the year school stuff, JROTC and trying to get into the military.  So he hasn't had much free time to help me.  He hasn't even been able to go mountain bike riding with me.

4/29/2022 4:08 PM  #24

Welp (tnx RPM)... I picked out all the components(AND BOUGHT 'em!) tore down the engine had the machine work done..installed all the goodies and dropped the engine back in all by me-self!
And like Frank said "I did it my way!"
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2022 4:11 PM  #25

I find myself spending way more time on this site than I do any other.  It has that home feeling about it.  You guys are all awesome.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.