FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2022 4:34 PM  #26

Re: Giving in on body work. Called in my buddy to help.

RTM wrote:

I find myself spending way more time on this site than I do any other.  It has that home feeling about it.  You guys are all awesome.

There are others?

Last edited by Alan (4/29/2022 4:36 PM)

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/29/2022 4:57 PM  #27

RTM wrote:

I find myself spending way more time on this site than I do any other.  It has that home feeling about it.  You guys are all awesome.

Prolly our abundant wealth of knowledge  and our quick wit. (we gots it all brothu)
Oh.....the stunning good looks of a few of us is a real plus also!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/30/2022 5:55 AM  #28

RTM wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I just rebuilt the 10.5" rear in my F250 myself, and I'd LOVE to be able to say someone else did it.  I'm finally feeling right almost a week later.  My '89 is taking up my 2 post lift (no front end under it) and I haven't got my 4 post set up yet, so I ended up doing it outside on the pad.  The diff with ring gear and bearings weighs about 90lbs.  Needed a dozen or so setups to get the R&P pattern right.  She's right, and she'll last, but the toll on my body anymore...

I recently installed 4.10 gears in my 2010 F150 that has the 9.75 rear axle.  We also bought and rebuilt a trac loc for it.   Me and my son did this while I was in a sling from just having surgery from a Grade 5 AC separation.  Si I had to have him do most of the work.  He loved it.  Not many kids get to do this kind of stuff any more.

I like to take a set of bearings and hone them out for set ups.  This way I do not have to press them on and off every time.

I was going to install the ford 3.73 gears I have but found the 4.10 gears which are ford pieces for a great price.  With the tire size I have it's like running a 3.73 with a stock tire size.  Absolutely love the truck with the 4.10 gears.

I always make up a set of setup bearings if I don't already have a set made up in "the box" (my collection of set up bearings, shims, etc for 10 different types of rears).  A couple minutes with a die grinder saves hours of frustration.  I've tried a lot of different methods over the years that guys swear work, but I've yet to have any luck.  The old plan of start with the shim that was in it and go from there based on pattern simply always works the best.  You can measure and measure and measure, but the pattern simply doesn't lie. 

I stayed with the factory 3.73s.  Yukon gears, which always seem to produce a nice pattern, but the box now says "made in China", which makes me mad because they used to be made in the US.  The truck makes so much torque that having deeper gears would just make it turn more RPM on the highway and spin the tires worse on a takeoff. 

I ditched the LSD this time.  They just don't hold up to the kind of power I'm making.  The Ford unit failed at about 45k, and the Yukon that replaced it lasted longer but ultimately still started to slip.  I ponied up for a TruTrac this time.  Thus far I really like it.  It doesn't even seem like its there, except when I need traction.

Now I still need to put the E-Locker in the front and replace my radius arms with the 3 link arms.  Then I head back to Cecil County for my assault on the 12 second barrier in this 7,800lb beast. 

5/01/2022 4:23 PM  #29

I was unable to work on the mustang yesterday due to helping my neighbor who has no clue how to work on cars replace his lower control arms.  I don't even remember what type of car it was but it took up most of the day.  I did get the garage cleaned up so I could work on the mustang.

Today I was able to slap some bondo and get some sanding done.  Felt like really good progress.  Hoping work doesn't keep me late so I can work a little on it each night.  I got the bug again and decided to back of on my cycling until I get the car ready for paint.  I may still ride my trainer in the morning before work.

Did I mention how sore I am from yesterday and today, bending down and getting back up over and over.  Crazy how I can pedal a bike all day but can't perform that type of work where I am squatting up and down.  lol

5/01/2022 5:05 PM  #30

Just saying the word Squatting made my knees pop and ache!
I don't squat any more......I crush my A$$ when I need to get down......
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/01/2022 5:38 PM  #31

I'm getting to where if I am in an odd position for to long it takes a second to get moving again.  Getting older is not fun.

5/02/2022 4:54 AM  #32

RTM wrote:

I'm getting to where if I am in an odd position for to long it takes a second to get moving again.  Getting older is not fun.

No, no its not, but as my grandfather used to say: it beats the alternative. 

5/02/2022 9:23 AM  #33

Wait until you get into your 80’s when getting down is no problem but getting up is next to impossible without help.😩

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/02/2022 10:26 AM  #34

Rudi wrote:

Wait until you get into your 80’s when getting down is no problem but getting up is next to impossible without help.😩

Gettin' close....that's why I bought my lift with hydraulic rail-jack.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/02/2022 11:53 AM  #35

I keep hoping modern medical technology will improve to the point where fixing that stuff won't be that big a deal in another 40 years...

5/02/2022 12:01 PM  #36

We were looking at buying property to build on the was large for me to build a shop to work in.  But that’s on hold due to the current rates and such.  I’m afraid this may come down but nothing like the last crash.

I just need to get back to lifting weights again so my poor unused muscles don’t suffer so bad when I do need them.

5/02/2022 12:38 PM  #37

RTM wrote:

"Ah feels your pain" I'll hit 73 in November and if I get too rambunctious I find that I pay for it..... Before I retired two years ago after twisting wrenches on airplanes for 50 years, I don't remember it being too much of an issue as I was more active - did a lot of walking in my job - airport is pretty spread out - but now it is.  In truth - it's a -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have- growing old.." Gotta make an effort to up my exercise - I may have a new project in the upcoming months....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/02/2022 1:05 PM  #38

Ron68 wrote:

RTM wrote:

"Ah feels your pain" I'll hit 73 in November and if I get too rambunctious I find that I pay for it..... Before I retired two years ago after twisting wrenches on airplanes for 50 years, I don't remember it being too much of an issue as I was more active - did a lot of walking in my job - airport is pretty spread out - but now it is.  In truth - it's a -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have- growing old.." Gotta make an effort to up my exercise - I may have a new project in the upcoming months....

Your ache & pains could be the result of 'rusty joints'.........I mean all that rain & such!!!

Go get'em Ron
6sally6

5/03/2022 6:39 PM  #39

6sally6 wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

RTM wrote:

Your ache & pains could be the result of 'rusty joints'.........I mean all that rain & such!!!

Go get'em Ron
6sally6

Rain, in Seattle? What? I've said it before Mike - Washington is known as the Evergreen State - and you can't keep it Ever Green unless you water it!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/24/2022 3:00 PM  #40

My buddy has only made it down for two different weekends.  His last visit was very helpful so I’ll take what I can get.  As of today both sides of the mustang are ready for 120/180 sanding then sealer and sanding primer.  The rear tail light panel is almost done.   I also repaired the passenger side headlight bucket with the repair kit the vendors sell.  It actually is a very nice repair kit.

So I’m close but still a ways to go. My training for work continues and I start another two weeks at home of training and testing.  Sadly the studying and training won’t end until the end of September.  With all that I’m pushing to get the mustang in color by the new year.  I would post pics but they don’t do much for showing the real progress.

7/25/2022 4:32 AM  #41

Any progress is noteworthy these days.  I've been so jammed with work and baseball the past couple months I've done nothing but fix some stuff on my truck that simply couldn't wait. 

9/04/2022 3:17 PM  #42

Had a good day last weekend and good day yesterday and today.  My buddy helped on two of those days and I was able to get my son out there all day yesterday.  I’m down to working on the hood and the rest of the car is touching up little spots the 180 sanding and then onto sealing and spraying sanding primer.  Slow but it’s progress.

12/08/2022 5:51 AM  #43

Before the hurricane hit us my buddy ended up having to do major engine work on his van. It’s been I think three months or more since he has been able to make it down to help.  I e been plugging away at the bodywork and it’s pretty much ready for sanding primer. The rear beck lid is very close but the hood still needs a fair amount of work.  I need to sand down the black coating on the roof and cowl before I start with the epoxy primer.

In the pictures the gray color is itching primer.  If I don’t keep bare metal covered it will flash rust from the lovely Florida air.  I may try to spray primer this Sunday. 

12/08/2022 7:44 AM  #44

It's looking good, Bob.  Plugging away is the best way IMO. When it's done you'll be able to say, with pride, "Oh yeah, I did it all."

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/08/2022 9:31 AM  #45

Bullet Bob wrote:

It's looking good, Bob.  Plugging away is the best way IMO. When it's done you'll be able to say, with pride, "Oh yeah, I did it all."

It is a good feeling and I’m seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.  Kind of getting that fire going again.  I would be working on it for the rest of the week but we are taking a couples days to go check out StarWars at Disney.

1/02/2023 1:11 PM  #46

I have been slowly making progress.    I’m pretty much don’t with the bondo work.  A couple of small things to touch up and I will be ready for sanding primer.   I do need to do a little more work on the rear extensions.

1/26/2023 3:30 PM  #47

Well a lot has changed and I no longer will have my son to help me.  He finally got into the Marines after 18 months.  Needed two medical waivers.  The point of mentioning this is he made me promise to have the mustang painted before he comes home after graduation.  My buddy that was helping me with bodywork had only made it down a couple of times.  He ended up needing a new motor in his van and now it's having transmission issues.

I have been working on the mustang as much as I can.  Happy to say the bondo work is complete with the exception of the rear quarter extensions.  Two days ago I got all the bare metal spots sealed in epoxy primer.  Last night I was able to spray sanding primer on the back side of the hood and rear deck lid.  I also sprayed the front and rear valance.  The plan is to have the high build primer on the entire mustang by the end of this weekend.  I would be in the garage tonight but I am on-call for work until 6am tomorrow.

1/26/2023 3:49 PM  #48

Yep, 'life' issues do get in the way!  Good luck going forward. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/26/2023 3:55 PM  #49

1/26/2023 5:16 PM  #50

Congratulations on the workmanship. Looks like the front fibreglass to fender came out real good.
Also lucky to be in Florida where you can work with the garage door open at this time of year.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.