FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2023 10:53 AM  #76

Re: Giving in on body work. Called in my buddy to help.

The color is great. Keep hammering away at as you can. Life got in the way and it took me three years after it came home from the body shop as a rolling shell to be drivable. Hopefully you can do it in less time. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/26/2023 4:58 AM  #77

Bolted to Floor wrote:

The color is great. Keep hammering away at as you can. Life got in the way and it took me three years after it came home from the body shop as a rolling shell to be drivable. Hopefully you can do it in less time. 

I hope it doesn’t take me that long.  I’ve already drug my feet long enough but did have a shoulder injury that required surgery.  Not much I could do with one arm.  I have that bug again to get it finished. I dislike body work and I really struggled with completing it.  Finish line is in site.

3/26/2023 5:04 AM  #78

Yesterday I was able to spray some paint.  I ran into a few set backs during the spraying of the white sealer base.  I have a bondo spot that was exposed after block sanding.  The sealer exposed pin holes.  I also had a run in each of the other panels. Once I fixed those everything else went well.  That was until I went to move the rear metal coupe interior panels.  I caught the back park of the hood a scratched it.  No big deal, I’ll fix it when I paint the strips.  Started out rough but ended up turning out good.

Praying I can get the fenders and rear balance sprayed today.  Just need to figure out how I can support  fenders off the car to paint them. 

3/26/2023 9:05 AM  #79

I had good luck hanging fenders over a conventional wooden sawhorse from a lumberyard.  They had pre fab sawhorses that were perfect.

3/26/2023 5:01 PM  #80

Bentworker wrote:

I had good luck hanging fenders over a conventional wooden sawhorse from a lumberyard.  They had pre fab sawhorses that were perfect.

I ended up using the dolly and the cutting torch dolly to hand the fenders.  I used old levels to hold the base of the fenders outward.  Overall it turned out great and had another successful day in the garage.  Today went smoothly with no set backs.  Just a long day. 

3/26/2023 5:27 PM  #81

In my best Chico voice,  Loookin  goood!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/26/2023 5:33 PM  #82

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/26/2023 6:12 PM  #83

Funny you posted this.  My buddy I was trying to get to help me actually showed up today.  Didn’t know he was coming.  Anyways, he said he wished he could have helped more with the bodywork.   I told him the one hood thing is I can take pride in knowing g I did 90% of the work myself.   Just took forever.  Lol

3/26/2023 6:14 PM  #84

I should mention the primer looking parts are actually sprayed with a white sealer.   The primer under it is gray.  The white sealer helps make the red look brighter over say using a black sealer.

3/27/2023 2:19 PM  #85

You definitely have "the touch" when it comes body work and paint.
Outstanding work !
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/27/2023 5:18 PM  #86

Bob, your work is great  and the finished car is going to be fannnn-tastic.  Can't wait to see in in person.  Oh and....LOVE THE COLOR!!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/27/2023 5:19 PM  #87

6sally6 wrote:

You definitely have "the touch" when it comes body work and paint.
Outstanding work !
6s6

Thanks.  I’m slow, and I dislike it.  Its rewarding to see it when the color finally goes on.

3/27/2023 7:12 PM  #88

My guess is that is a Maier shelby hood? If so, is that the higher hood scoop or the stock height Shelby scoop. Your doing a beautiful job on the paint!!!  Show quality for sure.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

3/27/2023 8:15 PM  #89

Awesome paint! 😎

3/28/2023 6:41 AM  #90

Quicksilver wrote:

My guess is that is a Maier shelby hood? If so, is that the higher hood scoop or the stock height Shelby scoop. Your doing a beautiful job on the paint!!!  Show quality for sure.

Yes it’s the 3 inch taller hood.  Both the hood and Shelby deck lid needed major work to get straight.  I have well over 20 hours in the hood alone.   I did order their snug fit rear bumper.  Will see how well that fits. 

Thanks for all the compliments.   As much as I hate/hated the bodywork phase, it sure is rewarding in the end.

3/28/2023 7:44 AM  #91

Looks Great!

3/28/2023 7:55 AM  #92

Nice work. How did you set things up for painting?  Did you make any kind of paint booth or did you just spray everything as pictured?

3/28/2023 10:28 AM  #93

Chaplin wrote:

Nice work. How did you set things up for painting?  Did you make any kind of paint booth or did you just spray everything as pictured?

Sprayed as you see it.  I was able to paint with the garage door open on Sunday.   Saturday the wind was too strong to leave the garage door open.   I only had it opened about a foot and laid my standing fan on its side to blow air out of the garage.  This is one of the reasons why I only wanted to paint a few parts at a time.  It keeps the amount of paint fumes down during each coat.  Thankfully the wife is ok with it all.  Lol

3/28/2023 3:45 PM  #94

That looks damn good for sprayed in the open air.  Will you spray the clear the same way?

3/28/2023 6:38 PM  #95

Chaplin wrote:

That looks damn good for sprayed in the open air.  Will you spray the clear the same way?

Fenders have three coats of clear.  All the parts that will have the Shelby stripes on them only have two coats of clear.  Those parts will get sanded and stripes sprayed followed by two more coats of clear.

3/28/2023 8:22 PM  #96

Gotcha.

4/16/2023 7:36 AM  #97

Been pretty busy trying to paint before our son came home from boot camp, which was last weekend.  Sadly the weekend prior to his graduation I tried to paint the doors.  Today I’m on my third attempt at painting and praying it goes smoother than the last two attempts.

The only good part is I was able to spray the inside of the doors so I only need to spray the outside today. 

free photo upload site

4/16/2023 11:47 AM  #98

RTM wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

.  Thankfully the wife is ok with it all.  Lol

Sooo you sprayed with her car parked in the garage ?!!!
  Kewel.....whata woman 

Just kidd'in !

So is your set-up a high volume/low pressure rig? (I can't see hardly any over-spray in the garage.)
I always thought after painting it would look like a red bomb went off !
Yours...not-so-much
Did you mask-off/drape everything ?
6sal6

4/16/2023 12:32 PM  #99

I’m using my old Sata HVLP gun with a 1.3 tip.  I keep the floor wet to try and keep the dirt down.  I have some dirt in the clear coat.  Some how the I didn’t get any dirt in the base coat.  I just finished my second coat of clear and all looks pretty good.  I’ve got about 7 hours in the doors today.  Of course that’s with down time between coats. 

4/17/2023 11:38 AM  #100

Outstanding work there Bob.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.