FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2022 10:32 PM  #1

2012 mustang E brake handle

anyone here know how to remove an E brake handle  from a 2012 mustang? i am making an attempt to put one in my 64 falcon console and all. i have already cut the console down, so i am pretty sure i'll have to modify the mounting hole for the E brake as well. other ideas?

2/12/2022 12:13 PM  #2

Re: 2012 mustang E brake handle

Just looking at a picture, looks fairly simple.
Looks like 2 bolts on side of tunnel and 1 bolt on top of tunnel.

The console on the other hand, no clue.

Probably just clips as most of the newer vehicles are snap together like high dollar legos.

3/30/2022 9:30 AM  #3

I tried a bunch of emergency brake setups on classics to avoid the between seat e-brake handle.  No way the early cars with the pull e-brake handle can stop a car with rear disc brakes.
So I found an electronics engineer and we built a adjustable current limited motor controller with a capacity of 2 motors. 2 EPB calipers , the controller and some wiring gives you a incredible good rear disc e-brake system. Have now 2 Mustangs (67+68). 1 Falcon (61) and a Fairlane (64) Testing them for me since 2 month!

Very easy!

Mustsed

3/30/2022 10:46 AM  #4

Mustsed wrote:

I tried a bunch of emergency brake setups on classics to avoid the between seat e-brake handle.  No way the early cars with the pull e-brake handle can stop a car with rear disc brakes.
So I found an electronics engineer and we built a adjustable current limited motor controller with a capacity of 2 motors. 2 EPB calipers , the controller and some wiring gives you a incredible good rear disc e-brake system. Have now 2 Mustangs (67+68). 1 Falcon (61) and a Fairlane (64) Testing them for me since 2 month!

Very easy!

Mustsed

Very interested in this E-Brake setup, can you provide details, including a parts list?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/30/2022 11:51 AM  #5

Actually not much to it. Being overseas, I build it with affordable available parts overhere.

2 pcs Renault Megane 3/ Scenic 3 EPB calipers (one each left/right) (2 blade connectors on each)
2 pcs Ford connect rear solid brake rotors (Reducing the outer diameter of wheel flange to fit inside rotor)
2 sets of brackets to mount the calipers to the axle flange (8" in my case - laser cut)
1 pcs  microswitch 
1 pcs Controller that we build
some wiring and a spot to install the 9x11 cm controller.

Very easy to wire and setup with a small screwdriver to turn the pots for the current adjustment.

There is a wide variety of EPB calipers out there and most are a simple gear reduction motor Reversing the polarity is how they retract. We designed it to push with current stop and retract with timer so they don't go all the way back. I modified the stock pull handles with a spring and a positive stop plus a bracket for a micro switch. Works well after 2 month in duty. The Fairlane is manual and daily driven and has this setup since a few weeks. I pulled the handle while driving the mustang and it locks the wheels.
One detail is odd, you pull the handle and the brakes grab 2 seconds delayed (the time to push the pistons. The other half of these calipers is standart hydraulic brake activation.

I will wait a few more month and make a youtube video when I have the second part of controllers made. Any other questions, just ask!

Mustsed

3/30/2022 11:54 AM  #6

Mustsed...great to see your voice.  It's been quite a while, glad to see you are still "inventing".  Hope things are going well for you.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/30/2022 12:22 PM  #7

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the kind words! Yep, started to work again. 2020 and 2021 definitly not my years. Damn covid 19 took my father and uncle. Me and son stayed a long time in hospital and took us almost a year to recover. Anyhow I hope its over and everything will be good again.

As for the brakes I just did a fast lookup and it looks like there are many EPB caliper options for vented rotors (2020 Expedition) in the US. I bet it would be a easy job to take one of MS rear brake bracket kits and go from there!

Mustsed

4/01/2022 1:32 PM  #8

Mustsed – sorry to hear about you, and your families’ issues with Covid 19.  Hoping the recoveries are without complications.
Following up on the EPB questions; could the EPB be setup w/o a controller?  Could one just operate it with a full battery voltage and a reversing polarity switch?  My interest is purely for use when parked.

4/01/2022 2:10 PM  #9

Hi everboy,

Thanks for the wishes BobE and yes it becomes better day by day!

You need a way to controll much pressure you apply and stop the e-brake motors. Electric motors draw more amps when under load and this is how you adjust the force to hold the brakes.
Sure it would be very simple to just switch them on or off but the chances to destroy the gears in the EPB are very high. Power on too long and demage to calipers can happen, power on to less and it won't hold the car. 
When you drive your car, the rotors heat up and expand then you pull the switch and press the calipers out to grab the rotors, releasing when you think it's ok.
Then the rotors cool down and become thinner, if there is not enough force applied by the calipers you brakes fail to hold the car.
The controller is $144 over here and not high enough to go manual from my view.
 Every car must have e-brakes to pass inspection in my part of the world and that's why i made this system at the beginning.

Mustsed

4/02/2022 12:30 PM  #10

Mustsed wrote:

Hi everboy,

Thanks for the wishes BobE and yes it becomes better day by day!

You need a way to controll much pressure you apply and stop the e-brake motors. Electric motors draw more amps when under load and this is how you adjust the force to hold the brakes.
Sure it would be very simple to just switch them on or off but the chances to destroy the gears in the EPB are very high. Power on too long and demage to calipers can happen, power on to less and it won't hold the car. 
When you drive your car, the rotors heat up and expand then you pull the switch and press the calipers out to grab the rotors, releasing when you think it's ok.
Then the rotors cool down and become thinner, if there is not enough force applied by the calipers you brakes fail to hold the car.
The controller is $144 over here and not high enough to go manual from my view.
 Every car must have e-brakes to pass inspection in my part of the world and that's why i made this system at the beginning.

Mustsed

This is really cool, I've actually looked into this a little myself. Is this controller something you plan on selling, if so I'd be interested. Definitely sounds like something I would like to try. Let us know how it goes.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/02/2022 1:27 PM  #11

As far as converting over and Ford bolt pattern,  2015 + Jeep Cherokees have disc brakes and ebrake.   I wondered myself if that was a good source of parts.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/02/2022 2:56 PM  #12

Hi everybody,

The cars that are testing the first bash of controllers will be back here soon so i will get some feedback on the system. The retracting time is only setable by the guys who build these controllers for me therefore the more we collect datavise the better they will perform. 
I will post a seperate topic about this in a few weeks. 

Mustsed

4/03/2022 11:14 AM  #13

Mustsed, wsinsle, Greg B - it appears a few of us have been looking into an EPB system for our cars.  I’m hoping we can work together to investigate and find a reasonable (price and installation) resolution.  I been searching the internet for vehicles that have EPB systems that could be used to install (hopefully from a wrecking yard).  I’ve been searching for parts (on RockAuto, etc.) and can’t seem to find any info on vehicles that I know have EPB’s (including the 2015 Cherokee).  I realize that I may not be looking in the right spot.
Note that I’m not as interested in the system that uses a motor to pull cables to activate the parking brakes.
So, my searching has led me to a few questions:

• Is there a separate controller for the EPB system?  Or is the controller integrated into the vehicle’s computer?
  • Can you confirm that there appears to be two types EPB calipers?
  • [list=circle]
  • One is a Hydraulic-Electric caliper where both features are integral in one caliper. 
  • The other is a separate electric caliper that activates the parking brakes.

Any info that can be exchanged will be appreciated, and reciprocated

4/03/2022 11:55 AM  #14

Hi BobE,

I am investigating these calipers for a long time and looked into many EPB calipers that are found in european cars or SUV's. Almost all cars with EPB CALİPERS have some sort of assist (hill-, ice-, etc.) integrated to their function and therefore they are controlled by the vehicle ecm.
I was not able to locate a separate controller just for the EPB calipers that's why these controllers came into life! Never seen a EPB only caliper and again, all the ones I looked at where hydraulic calipers with integrated EPB drives.
The brake pistons do their job as all other hydraulic piston calipers and the EPB is a screw behind the piston (not connected to it in anyway) driven by the motor to push the piston against the rotor. When realesing the e-brake, the screw backs-up and leaves a small gap between both parts. When the pads wear out, the screw pushes the piston until the adjusted CURRENT value is reached and stops.
I don't think that you can hold the switch exactly at the same value by hand, everytime!

Mustsed

This is the controller and the grid is centimeters.

4/04/2022 9:49 AM  #15

mustsed - thanks for the update.  I did find some aftermarket systems that utilize a separate electric caliper for the EPB system.  I did read that many of these OEM systems are incorporated with the 'traction control' systems.  I was hoping that maybe there were some EPBs that were independent of the ECM.
So, seems that a separate current controller needs to be made.  What is the expected current draw for these EPBs?

4/04/2022 11:24 AM  #16

Hi BobE,

The sad true i faced too, when searching for a stand alone EPB controller.

Every EPB caliper might be different but they are 6-7 amps start - 2-3 Amps run and 6-7 amps stop with peaks araound 11-12 amps. These are the numbers for the scenic/megane EPB calipers and others may vary. Best to meassure them with the setup on the bench. The box in the pic is one inlet each for power / switch and 2 adjustable outlets with 2 second rewind time built into it.

Mustsed

4/05/2022 9:27 AM  #17

Musted - good info, I'll do some searching and see if I can find something.
Is the' current sensor system used the same principle used (with maybe a different current draw) for the 'auto-up and 'auto-down' power window feature found on many new vehicles?  

4/05/2022 10:53 AM  #18

Hi BobE,

I can't write anything about that because never dealed with power window modules bu seems to be the same principal for one exception. Windows go all the way down or up!

The PBR calipers need somewhere around 7-8 seconds for their full range of motion but only a second do press the piston out. If you do not want to wait 7-8 seconds to apply the e-brakes, you need to stop the rewinding motion in another way except current which in my case is time. My controller is pressing on the piston untill it reaches the adjusted current stop and rewinds the screw (which leaves the piston on hydraulic only) for 2 seconds! The new bash of controllers will have 1.4 seconds rewind time which is plenty to relaese the parking brake function. 

I looked into many other modules used in industrial applications and came up with one build for me by a proffesional hard- and software company. Since 2 days i am talking to the test car drivers and it seems that only the rewind time is a little to long wich we wil change, otherwise the controllers are working as they should.

Mustsed

4/06/2022 9:14 AM  #19

Mustsed - I'll keep digging.
I'll note the Wilwood offers offers an EPB system, w/a separate EPB caliper, for about $2.2K, the controller can be purchased itself for about $450.

4/06/2022 2:34 PM  #20

Hi BobE,

Nice part but totaly out of my price range! Didn't know that there are e-brake only PBR out there and couldn't find of any in mass production brands. 

Today we agreed on another bash of the controllers and they will be ready in 2 weeks. I pay $144 per controller (controlls 2 calipers) $7 shipping in here and $27 shipping to the US which totals to $178/controller.
Should there be interest i could send a few of them over to you.

Mustsed

4/07/2022 2:39 PM  #21

Mustsed - I'm interested, I'll send you a PM.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.