FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2022 4:14 PM  #1

Any advice on installing a back seat divider on a 66 mustang coupe?

Hey everyone I just picked up a back seat divider for my 66 mustang coupe from NPD. I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or tricks or advice on installing a metal rear seat divider as I’ve never done one before. I am planning on painting or I’ve heard some guys put on a bed liner paint on it so it looks nicer when you open the trunk and also maybe something to help cut down on vibration like a caulking between the shield and where it mounts. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2/22/2022 4:29 PM  #2

Re: Any advice on installing a back seat divider on a 66 mustang coupe?

I did one out of OSB and painted it black. I put the peel and stick water proofing stuff Home Depot sells on the inside.
Sealed ALL the holes and cracks. I think I may have put a sheet of that foil backed foam insulation too. Put peel and stick ALL over the floor pan and especially over and round wheel wells. Seems to have really helped quiet and insulate the inside.
About the back seat divider.....IF I get rear ended hard enough to rupture the fuel tank...........weeeeell not sure I would be concious enough to crawl out whether soaked in gasoline or not!
It's more a "mental" safety step......and keep your wife happy thang....IMHO!
Hope I never find out.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/27/2022 11:44 AM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

I did one out of OSB and painted it black. I put the peel and stick water proofing stuff Home Depot sells on the inside.
Sealed ALL the holes and cracks. I think I may have put a sheet of that foil backed foam insulation too. Put peel and stick ALL over the floor pan and especially over and round wheel wells. Seems to have really helped quiet and insulate the inside.
About the back seat divider.....IF I get rear ended hard enough to rupture the fuel tank...........weeeeell not sure I would be concious enough to crawl out whether soaked in gasoline or not!
It's more a "mental" safety step......and keep your wife happy thang....IMHO!
Hope I never find out.

Sal, You crack me up brother, Matt

(Pinto!)

2/27/2022 12:00 PM  #4

Tell me in person............@ the next MS Bash!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/27/2022 7:01 PM  #5

I have a couple of suggestions.

“Camper foam tape”  is dense and fairly thin and wide.
Easy to trim to desired width shape with scissors or utility knife.
Use where any metal to metal contact.

On side facing the seat, add noise damper to prevent “drum” effect.
It won’t be visible in the trunk.

On side facing the trunk, use vinyl, fabric, carpet, etc with/without a layer of thin foam as desired.
3M has a spray adhesive that is great for stuff like this…think headliner material.
Usually can find in arts section of store, or automotive section by engine paints, and most auto parts stores too.

The roll on bed liners work, problem I see with some of them is that some grab fabric and a rough texture.
Might be harder to clean since you can’t just rinse off with water in the trunk.

Another suggestion is to install with rivnuts.

Or place mounting holes at edge of rear seat opening.

The panel can be pinched in place around perimeter of opening with bolts and fender washers without drilling holes in original metal (that’s how I have my barrier/stereo equipment mounted).
I didn’t want to drill holes in my car.

BTW…divider panel is 1/2” MDF

Last edited by Nos681 (2/27/2022 7:07 PM)

2/28/2022 10:35 AM  #6

Kleeen!!
6s6

3/14/2022 4:33 PM  #7

Hey everyone sorry for the delay getting back to y’all.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

3/15/2022 1:06 AM  #8

I replaced the divider in mine with mdf panneling. A buddy cut it in for me, based on the old template and then we covered it with a felt.
One of the best upgrades I did, as it really cuts down noise from the rear of the car.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/15/2022 6:44 AM  #9

Huh! I've heard about using it for protection from the gas tank, and using metal seat dividers to give more rigidity to the unibody (that actually helps more than SBF connectors), but I've never heard that it blocks noise. Thanks Toploader, I'll add that to the list.

3/15/2022 10:18 AM  #10

X-2 on the sound dampening!
Think of the trunk and one-huge-bass-drum!!!
The addition of sound deadeners and plugging EVERY single hole and crack reduces the amount of road dust and such that enters car. (putting sound dampening material over the rear wheel wells helps a lot too!
6s6

3/15/2022 2:52 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

The addition of sound deadeners and plugging EVERY single hole and crack reduces the amount of road dust and such that enters car. (putting sound dampening material over the rear wheel wells helps a lot too!
6s6

Any particular kind of deadener?  I'm looking to reduce the interior sound a little, and these two suggestions will help.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/15/2022 4:43 PM  #12

I installed the same one from from NPD but I cut my down to fit into the step down area around the opening.  One thing I would like to do is bead roll some strength into it.  But I haven’t found any one to do that for me.

3/15/2022 8:54 PM  #13

lowercasesteve wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

Any particular kind of deadener?  I'm looking to reduce the interior sound a little, and these two suggestions will help.

I used that peel & stick stuff Home Depot sells.
Some kind of ice guard that goes under roofing shingles.

3/15/2022 9:17 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

lowercasesteve wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

I used that peel & stick stuff Home Depot sells.
Some kind of ice guard that goes under roofing shingles.

Thanks, Sally.   Doing the trunk only is my kind of job at this  time in my life.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/16/2022 1:50 PM  #15

Mach1Driver wrote:

Huh! I've heard about using it for protection from the gas tank, and using metal seat dividers to give more rigidity to the unibody (that actually helps more than SBF connectors), but I've never heard that it blocks noise. Thanks Toploader, I'll add that to the list.

Another point for noise ingress into the cabin of the coupe are the rear deck speakers.
I made “speaker boxes” with batting inside to block noise from trunk as well.
In addition to the mass backed carpet from ACC, also have the asphalt carpet underlayment on my floor, transition hump and gas tank.

3/16/2022 4:35 PM  #16

Thanks Sally and Nos681, appreciated.

3/16/2022 5:49 PM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

Mach1Driver wrote:

Another point for noise ingress into the cabin of the coupe are the rear deck speakers.
I made “speaker boxes” with batting inside to block noise from trunk as well.

X-2

3/20/2022 3:37 PM  #18

Back when I was working I had access to some 1/8" stainless steel sheeting. I made a cardboard template and cut a piece of stainless to fit. Screwed it down behind the rear seat. Figured if I did get rearended badly it might give me an extra few seconds to exit the vehicle ahead of the flames.. I had a friend who had a nice 68 and had a transmission issue on the freeway. He parked it on the shoulder and was headed back with a tow truck when a lady in a Volkswagen Golf fell asleep at the wheel and rearended the car. Shoved the taillights almost up to the rear pillar on the driver's side - but the tank wasn't ruptured. Go figure.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/20/2022 3:59 PM  #19

There are a couple of different reasons to install one. One is to provide a visual barrier to hide the back of the seat. Anything will work to accomplish that.

If your goal is fire or fuel containment, only a 100% perimeter weld job with additional pieces welded to fill all gaps will be of any benefit. Snd that, in my opinion, is of little use. Any collision that is serious enough to rupture the fuel tank is also going to bend the heck out of any metal supporting tge tank or the area around the back seat. Weld will get broken. Metal will bend and break. New gaps will occur.

Consider the failure mode. And this one isn’t pretty if you consider what COULD happen. Luckily, it rarely, if ever does.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/21/2022 9:21 AM  #20

I wish I could find some pics of what I did.  I put a barrier above my fuel tank.  I also put one between the trunk and back seat.  The main reason was when my kids were younger and road in the back seat I wanted some protection if I had a rear crash.  I cut the metal and I used sheet metal screws.  I needed to be able to remove it if I wanted to replace the fuel tank.  I just put outdoor carpet over it.  

Steve69

3/21/2022 9:25 AM  #21

3/21/2022 5:19 PM  #22

Steve69, I stand by my post that states your steel cover will do nothing in the event of a rearender with enough damage to rupture the tank. The scenario I see with your solution is that the primary bending will force the rear bumper forward bending frame crossmember, then pushing the tank forward where the steel plate and its notch around the filler neck tube will immediately shear off the filler tube. The compressive forces on the tank will result in fuel spewing out the severed hose with high pressure filling up the trunk area above your plate with great force. The rest of the collapsing rear end will result in the steel plate bending just like the rest of the back half of the car. Sheet metal screws will be immediately ripped out. Fuel will travel into the cabin unimpeded. Sorry.

Now, if that same plate were 100% welded to the floor atop the frame rails and is not thicker than the sheetmetal already there, so it crumples with the floor, and you have removed the filler neck to be completely under the car’s new trunk floor, not inside. In my opinion, that MIGHT provide a little extra protection, but n reality, not all that much, either.  You can mount the tank below the flanges by welding nuts atop the holes in the flange and bolting the tank up from the bottom.  I have no suggestion on a filler neck relocation. Some move it to the side, setting themselves up for the above scenario in a side collision.

Ok, all pessimistic bad news from MS. Somebody come up with an argument that disputes this. My opinion is anyone wanting to keep gas from getting n their trunk or cabin should buy a fuel cell. Anything else is a waste of time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2022 9:42 AM  #23

MS wrote:

Steve69, I stand by my post that states your steel cover will do nothing in the event of a rearender with enough damage to rupture the tank. The scenario I see with your solution is that the primary bending will force the rear bumper forward bending frame crossmember, then pushing the tank forward where the steel plate and its notch around the filler neck tube will immediately shear off the filler tube. The compressive forces on the tank will result in fuel spewing out the severed hose with high pressure filling up the trunk area above your plate with great force. The rest of the collapsing rear end will result in the steel plate bending just like the rest of the back half of the car. Sheet metal screws will be immediately ripped out. Fuel will travel into the cabin unimpeded. Sorry.

Now, if that same plate were 100% welded to the floor atop the frame rails and is not thicker than the sheetmetal already there, so it crumples with the floor, and you have removed the filler neck to be completely under the car’s new trunk floor, not inside. In my opinion, that MIGHT provide a little extra protection, but n reality, not all that much, either. You can mount the tank below the flanges by welding nuts atop the holes in the flange and bolting the tank up from the bottom. I have no suggestion on a filler neck relocation. Some move it to the side, setting themselves up for the above scenario in a side collision.

Ok, all pessimistic bad news from MS. Somebody come up with an argument that disputes this. My opinion is anyone wanting to keep gas from getting n their trunk or cabin should buy a fuel cell. Anything else is a waste of time.

​MS – I’ll take a shot.  I agree that a very severe hit in the back probably will do as you indicate.  And also, anything that severe will probably leave the driver and passenger in the front seats incapacitated, especially if using stock seats as they’ll may very well have broken necks.  However, even some protection is better than none for less severe rear end crashes, as long it is not thought to make one 100% safe. 
Thinking of a recent forum post regarding roll cages; without the safety features of new cars with crumple zones, air bags, etc., we’re all at risk from almost any “severe” crash to the front, rear or sides our vintage rides.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/22/2022 4:35 PM  #24

Yup!!!
We didn't buy/build these thangs because they are  "SAFE"!
6s6

3/22/2022 4:38 PM  #25

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.