FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2022 7:30 PM  #1

Radiator retrofit

A few years ago I had a lot of problems with my 65 overheating, I installed a stock size aluminum 2 row radiator from Virginia Mustang and it worked very well.  A couple years ago I decided I wanted to install A/C in my car but I really hesitated as I was concerned that I would cause overheating problems again, and I was right!!  with the condenser out front it slowed the air flow down enough that it started over heating again especially at lower speeds like in town.   I didnt have enough room in front to add an electric pusher so I ordered the highest CFM puller fan I could afford and installed it.  without a shroud on it still wasnt getting the airflow I needed to cool in town so I built a shroud out of aluminum and mounted it.  it actually made things worse.  SO I decided a larger radiator was needed but I really didnt want to go thru what was necessary to install the large 69 radiator.  I ordered a 20" radiator for a 67-68 and a top clamp and I cut about an inch and a half out of each side of my radiator support and install ed with a shroud for that radiator and I ordered a new 17" flex fan.  BUT the 17" fan would hit my A/C compressor pulley so I had to order a 15" fan and installed it.  Well today since it was in the high 90s and humid I decided to take the car for a torture test.  I'm happy to say going thru town with the a/c on it only got up to 205 but cooled right down to 195 on a road with a 40 mph speed limit.  When I went out of town at 60+ mph it cooled back to about 190.  Hopefully this problem is behind me and I can work on the next problem that arises, and I'm sure there will be one!!  I'll post some pics ifn I figure out how to!!

6/14/2022 7:53 PM  #2

Re: Radiator retrofit

6/14/2022 8:07 PM  #3

Sounds like you have the biggest fan you can in there, but it looks small compared to the shroud. Might just be the angle of the picture.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

6/14/2022 9:25 PM  #4

20” radiators bolt in using the side flanges. Only the 24” radiator uses that clamp on the top. I would be concerned the clamp is not fitting properly with rubber isolation and might cause the tank to get punctured.

A 17” fan will fit if the correct shroud and fan spacer are installed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/14/2022 9:33 PM  #5

This pic shows Jose’s 65 with a 20” aluminum three row radiator (70 Mustang size), a 70 fan shroud and 17” fan.  A 69 radiator also fits if you need the lower hose on the passenger side.

6/15/2022 6:58 AM  #6

MS wrote:

20” radiators bolt in using the side flanges. Only the 24” radiator uses that clamp on the top. I would be concerned the clamp is not fitting properly with rubber isolation and might cause the tank to get punctured.

The clamp fits perfect on the 20" radiator it is secure and I made a bracket for the bottom that holds it securely.  I  cant see how a 17" fan would work.  The only way it would miss the compressor is to put a longer fan spacer than the 2" one I have on there and if you did I cant see how you would ever get the bolts in as there is only about an inch between the bolts and the radiator as it is

6/15/2022 7:36 AM  #7

Nice job...it cools to your satisfaction so, no more worries. Enjoy the AC on those hot summer drives ..

6/15/2022 10:18 AM  #8

Glad you got it sorted out, Terry.  Few things are more frustrating than unreliable cooling.  I also have a 20" two row radiator and I'm running the 17", seven blade fan that was on the 289 when we bought the car.  I made a custom shroud that leaves 1/2 to 3/4" around the fan.  Butt (TS&T), I have a very different AC mounting than you do and with that heavy pitch fan I can see where you would have interference.  Hope this setup continues to make you happy.  See ya in three months.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/15/2022 1:01 PM  #9

Good on Ya Terry, now get out there and enjoy your efforts!!

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/17/2022 11:53 PM  #10

MS wrote:

This pic shows Jose’s 65 with a 20” aluminum three row radiator (70 Mustang size), a 70 fan shroud and 17” fan. A 69 radiator also fits if you need the lower hose on the passenger side.

where did yall get the 20 inch aluminum radiator? I bought a 24 but dont really wanna take all that apart at the moment.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

6/18/2022 4:36 PM  #11

6/19/2022 5:50 AM  #12

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

MS wrote:

This pic shows Jose’s 65 with a 20” aluminum three row radiator (70 Mustang size), a 70 fan shroud and 17” fan. A 69 radiator also fits if you need the lower hose on the passenger side.

where did yall get the 20 inch aluminum radiator? I bought a 24 but dont really wanna take all that apart at the moment.

Why don't you want to go with the 24 inch?  Aren't you worried about over heating issues with AC?

8/22/2022 9:55 PM  #13

MS wrote:

Has anybody installed a 24without cutting the core support out .I know the air flow would not be as great .But I remember Steve talking about his newer shelby had a good bit of his radiator covered. I Just hate having to take all that apart to cut it out would not be so bad if I did not have the A/C. Thought about just getting a 20 inch. I already have the 24 inch sitting here in the box still.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/23/2022 8:18 AM  #14

Great Job!   

8/23/2022 8:42 AM  #15

Looks nice, but that is not how that upper bracket should fit. If you drive your car on long trips, or just with accumulated miles over time, vibration will work those sharp edges on that clamp right through the top tank.
Sorry, but all the positive comments are not going to fix this problem. It needs some rubber isolation with lots of surface area, not sharp steel edges.

8/24/2022 11:16 AM  #16

MS wrote:

Looks nice, but that is not how that upper bracket should fit. If you drive your car on long trips, or just with accumulated miles over time, vibration will work those sharp edges on that clamp right through the top tank.
Sorry, but all the positive comments are not going to fix this problem. It needs some rubber isolation with lots of surface area, not sharp steel edges.

If its bolted in on the sides he probably wouldn't even need those top brackets.    

8/24/2022 4:13 PM  #17

Steve its not bolted on the sides.  The bottom is held by a custom bracket and the top is held firmly with the factory style bracket and an 1/4" rubber isolator.  

8/25/2022 9:08 AM  #18

terry wrote:

Steve its not bolted on the sides.  The bottom is held by a custom bracket and the top is held firmly with the factory style bracket and an 1/4" rubber isolator.  

I have mine on the top and bottom too.   I have a fox body radiator though and the tanks are on the sides. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.