FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2022 6:45 PM  #26

Re: Fully Assembled Third Member Swap?

Rudi wrote:

Does Ford or any of the other manufacturers require drain and fill on new vehicles on the 1st 500 miles?

No...

6/17/2022 7:20 PM  #27

josh-kebob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Does Ford or any of the other manufacturers require drain and fill on new vehicles on the 1st 500 miles?

No...

Zackly!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/17/2022 7:58 PM  #28

Difference between new car and yours is all the old nasty stuff coating the inside of your axle tubes. The quick oil change is most likely to get rid of old nastiness, where a new car does not have that issue.

Just sayin’…. I never change mine at 500 miles either.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/17/2022 7:59 PM  #29

My first new truck was an 89, then I had a 93, 95, 2003, 2012, and 2019 plus an 01 Cobra and 2014 Escape. NONE of those had anything requiring an oil change other than the normal interval in the owner's manual.

**However, it's probably not a bad idea to swap out that rear end oil as it wasn't assembled by a big OEM with break in stands, QC checks, etc.

6/17/2022 9:41 PM  #30

Idunno it might be ocd but when I changed rear gears the whole rear end was removed completely dismantled, sand blasted thoroughly cleaned painted and all bearings and seals replaced.
I was taught never to do things half a$$ed.
Putting a new chunk in a old rear end just don’t make sense.
I did the whole heat up- cool down exercise as specific by the gear manufacturer, never changed any lube.

6/19/2022 5:59 AM  #31

I still live by the motto "oil is cheap, engines are expensive".  The same applies to a rear.  When I do a rebuild I completely scrub the housing and tubes, but still why take the chance?  On a new vehicle, hard to say why they don't require a break in lube change.  One thing I always consider with new vehicles is that the manufacturer only care that the vehicle lasts problem free until the warranty expires.  If their research has shown that it does that without an oil change they don't benefit from telling you to change it, as very few people take their cars to the dealership for oil changes. 

6/26/2022 7:31 AM  #32

Steve69 wrote:

I went the Quick Performance route with there 9" center section last year.  I went with the Eaton Truetrac with
a 3.25 gear.   Mine works great.  I did there break in which was drive 5 miles let it cool off like 3 times before you take it for a longer trip.  I welded a add and drain the oil plug in housing also.  I had my axle housing out which made it easier.  

Steve69

You welded a drain plug?  Why didn't you tapp the housing?  I was just going to use a 1/2-20 drain plug by tapping the housing.  Seen it done other places.

6/26/2022 7:50 AM  #33

Rudi wrote:

Idunno it might be ocd but when I changed rear gears the whole rear end was removed completely dismantled, sand blasted thoroughly cleaned painted and all bearings and seals replaced.
I was taught never to do things half a$$ed.
Putting a new chunk in a old rear end just don’t make sense.
I did the whole heat up- cool down exercise as specific by the gear manufacturer, never changed any lube.

The rear end is just a housing, there's nothing special about it especially if I'm not planning on racing.  Some mods make sense to take a bottom up approach.  For example, slapping performance heads on a stock engine or installing a performance suspension but keeping drum brakes. Those are both bad ideas that people do all the time.  Racing guys swap out third members all the time without swapping out the entire rear or sand blasting the whole thing.   I'm replacing the bearings and seals, cleaning up the axles, and using a new fully assembled third member.  There's just not much else there worth the huge effort to drop the entire rear to essentially apply a fresh coat of paint and put it right back.  Besides that, when I replaced the rear suspension and added four disc brakes I cleaned up the rear anyway.  

7/13/2022 7:59 PM  #34

Anybody ran across any deals on 8 inch carriers tru trac 3.55.1 ?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

7/13/2022 9:52 PM  #35

Joe changing out the 3rd member assembly is pretty straight forward.

I recently had damage to my 8” carrier.

Today I spent evening after work throughly cleaning out my axle housing.
I only had to remove hardware on lower shocks and the 4 u-bolts.

I took reference measurements of axle ends to springs and took a few pictures before housing removal from springs.  Three years ago, I throughly cleaned inside, outside, and painted housing.
I want to get the housing back in same position.

I removed a lot of old oil/grease and dirt from the axle tubes.  Really glad I had done so.
If I wasn’t messing around taking measurements on a 9” housing I have, I probably would have had the housing remounted before calling it a night….I cleaned up the u-bolts and repainted shock plate.

Wednesday last week I spoke to Quick Performance near end of work day and received my overhaul kit on Friday due to my location.

Very nice and asked me questions to ensure I received the correct kit for my Currie traction lock.
The kit I received is made by Yukon Gear.

7/14/2022 5:37 AM  #36

Always use new u-bolts.  They are one time use. 

7/14/2022 12:02 PM  #37

TKOPerformance wrote:

Interesting, I never heard that, what is the reason why they are one time use?
BTW - I'v re-used these u-bolts many times through the years and have never had any trouble. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/14/2022 6:14 PM  #38

BobE wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Interesting, I never heard that, what is the reason why they are one time use?
BTW - I'v re-used these u-bolts many times through the years and have never had any trouble. 

From what I'm told u-bolts, while not torque to yield, have the threads cut in such a manner that they won't torque down properly a second time.  Who knows, might just be BS spouted by the u-bolt industry, but I've always replaced them just to be safe. 

7/14/2022 6:55 PM  #39

All of the u bolts I’ve seen, not that many though, had rolled threads and we’re not cut. For that matter most all threads on automotive bolts are rolled.

7/15/2022 4:50 AM  #40

The threads on a good u-bolt are rolled, not cut according to my sources.  I should have used the word "formed" instead of "cut".  However, what I'm reading is stating that the amount of torque applied to the bolts to tighten them to spec is likely causing permanent deformation, and while not specifically referenced as "torque to yield", they are nonetheless stretched and thus should not be reused.  There is also concern that the threads are damaged by the tightening and thus will not achieve proper torque a second time. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (7/16/2022 7:38 AM)

7/15/2022 10:22 AM  #41

TremendousWand wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

I went the Quick Performance route with there 9" center section last year.  I went with the Eaton Truetrac with
a 3.25 gear.   Mine works great.  I did there break in which was drive 5 miles let it cool off like 3 times before you take it for a longer trip.  I welded a add and drain the oil plug in housing also.  I had my axle housing out which made it easier.  

Steve69

You welded a drain plug?  Why didn't you tapp the housing?  I was just going to use a 1/2-20 drain plug by tapping the housing.  Seen it done other places.

I was welding a filler plug figured might as weld the drain plug too.  You could tap it too.   

7/17/2022 11:21 AM  #42

Well, here is what Eaton Spring has to say about reusing U-Bolts ... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NKnoBz11WE

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/26/2022 5:41 AM  #43

Anybody ran across any good deals on the 8 inch third member rebuilds? I am wanting to go like 3:25 or 3:55 I bought a maverick rear the other day… don’t know why lol. Figured it would be a good trade for other stuff later.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (9/26/2022 5:42 AM)

9/28/2022 6:53 AM  #44

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Anybody ran across any good deals on the 8 inch third member rebuilds? I am wanting to go like 3:25 or 3:55 I bought a maverick rear the other day… don’t know why lol. Figured it would be a good trade for other stuff later.

Looks like it's still Quick Performance as the best option.  I'm holding out hope that one of these companies will offer some discount or at least free shipping during the holidays to bring the price down a bit.

9/28/2022 10:54 AM  #45

Wish I was closer Billy.  I'd set it up for you for free.

9/28/2022 8:04 PM  #46

TKOPerformance wrote:

I pay shipping both ways and parts may be a lot cheaper than anywhere.

I bought a maverick rear the other day ....I could send the 3rd member out of it.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (9/28/2022 8:06 PM)

9/28/2022 8:23 PM  #47

TremendousWand wrote:

Looks like it's still Quick Performance as the best option.  I'm holding out hope that one of these companies will offer some discount or at least free shipping during the holidays to bring the price down a bit.

looks like with shipping it would be $1028.95 
8 inch  standard case and 28 posi,3;55 gear, standard yoke and pinion support.

9/29/2022 4:37 AM  #48

TKOPerformance wrote:

I pay shipping both ways and parts may be a lot cheaper than anywhere.

I bought a maverick rear the other day ....I could send the 3rd member out of it.

PM me if you want to do it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.