FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2022 9:55 AM  #1

Does anyone have this rivet tool?

So apparently this rivet tool makes installing the rivets for the windows much easier.  I've seen two videos of people highly recommending it when putting the vent windows back together because of the small rivets and tight fit.  But there is NO WAY I am spending $150 on yet another tool I only plan on using once.  Half my garage is tools I only used once and money is too tight these days.  Anyone got this laying around that can ship it to me and I can ship it back?

thanks

8/30/2022 12:35 PM  #2

Re: Does anyone have this rivet tool?

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

buy it use it and send it back lol

A low-life solution for sure!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/30/2022 3:16 PM  #3

I bought a rivet set and made a buck to clamp in the vise and had a friend hold things in the right place while I set the rivets.  You'd be welcome to borrow the set....don't know where the buck tool is, may have just been a bolt...just as soon as RTM could send it to you.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/30/2022 4:34 PM  #4

You could make the rivet tool from a couple of small inexpensive HF “c” clamps.
Remove the swivel pad from one of them and shape the end for the setting tool.
On the other clamp take it’s pad off and drill that end for a press fit small dowel pin to push out the old rivet.
Sorry I have no pictures.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/30/2022 4:47 PM  #5

Got a pic of what is being riveted?

8/30/2022 4:52 PM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I bought a rivet set and made a buck to clamp in the vise and had a friend hold things in the right place while I set the rivets.  You'd be welcome to borrow the set....don't know where the buck tool is, may have just been a bolt...just as soon as RTM could send it to you.

BB1

I could send it on Monday or maybe Friday if we get back home in time.  I haven’t order the rest of my pieces but I haven’t looked since they were out of stock either. Lol

Just say the word and I’ll get it out as soon as I can.

8/30/2022 10:58 PM  #7

Thanks Bob, If Wand wants it that's ok with me.  He can return it to you and I'll get it when everyone is finished rebuilding vent window frames.  I presume you have a handle on how I used a plain rivet set in this application.  I probably didn't explain it too well for Wand but so far mine is staying glued together.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/31/2022 5:44 AM  #8

A modified C clamp works well like Rudi said.  That's how I did mine.  

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

8/31/2022 9:29 AM  #9

BobC wrote:

A modified C clamp works well like Rudi said.  That's how I did mine.  

This might be the way to go.  I can go to harbor freight and get some crap cheap c clamp for $5 bucks that I can drill out or modify some how.  No way I am spending $150 on a tool to install $100 in parts.  

8/31/2022 9:49 AM  #10

He who dies with the most tools wins!🤪🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/31/2022 3:17 PM  #11

Like Bullet, I mounted a modified center punch (converted to rivet buck) in my vise, tucked the window track under my arm and set the rivet with a punch and hammer. You don’t need every special tool that comes along.
All the reproduction top rubber piece that goes at tip of the wing window frame are such garbage they ate not really worth wasting a rivet on.  Agter you close the door a few times, the rubber separates from the metal backing.

Maybe now they make them better???

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.