FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2022 10:32 PM  #1

Warning about CVF Wraptor serpentine belt system

Problem #1
On mine, the water pump pulley stuck out about 0.030” past the crank pulley. The belt made hellacious noise and finally the water pump came apart and front bearing on the pump pulled out about 3/16”.
CVF sent me another pump, but they modify a stock pump to make it shorter like the Ford Racing pump and I did not trust the new one. So, I ordered a Ford Racing pump that is built with the short shaft from the start.  It appeared to be better quality and had the impeller plate on it.
The new Ford pump made the fan pulley sit 0.085” too close to the engine.  I had some fan spacers that were 0.065” thick and found an old dash plaque that was 0.022” thick for a total of 0.085” thick. Pulleys now align perfectly. If this is not addressed, you are assured of water pump and belt replacement. My pump and belt were destroyed after 1,200 miles.

Problem #2
Remember the puddling I was getting on the timing cover on the driver side?  There is an unused bolt hole on the later model water pump. If your timing cover threaded hole goes all the way through to that recess in the timing cover, there is no bolt to keep water from going from inside the pump through the threaded hole in the timing cover.  Solution is to cut off the threaded portion of a bolt and JB Weld it into the timing cover threads to block the passage from leaking water.  Otherwise, you are depending on the steel plate on the back of the water pump not deflecting under 13psi pressure and allowing the water past it.  In my opinion, CVF should point out this possible problem in the instructions.  I did not figure this out until AFTER I HAD INSTALLED MY NEW PUMP.  I went ahead and left it as-is, but now I know if I get water in that location I will know why.  Hopefully no deflection occurs on the new pump and I do not get another leak.

Problem #3
The whole mess including P/S, A/C and alternator is supported by four 5/16” bolts that attach the water pump to the block.  This allows for vibration (you cannot see, but it is there).   It really would benefit from some bracketry that solidifies the alternator and AC compressor to the heads. The vibration can cause water pump gaskets to leak and bolts to loosen over time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/17/2022 8:51 AM  #2

Re: Warning about CVF Wraptor serpentine belt system

Aftermarket engineers:  creating as many new problems as they solve.   

I guess that is the tradeoff for bling.

If only everything were as well designed as your brake and clutch pedal kits...

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/17/2022 9:19 AM  #3

MS – regarding the unused bolt hole, I would suggest the option of using an Allen head setscrew instead using a cut off bolt, and seal as necessary.  Might make it easier if it ever has to be removed.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/17/2022 10:05 AM  #4

Thanks for the heads up.  They sure look Awesome!  The price kind made look at a used 5.0 fox body belt system.  Its not as pretty but for the most part solid. 

11/17/2022 10:10 AM  #5

BobE wrote:

MS – regarding the unused bolt hole, I would suggest the option of using an Allen head setscrew instead using a cut off bolt, and seal as necessary.  Might make it easier if it ever has to be removed.

You mean, when you finally come to your senses and throw this mess in the garbage and install a foxbody 5.0 serpentine system or even go back to a triple V-belt system?  That kind of “if it ever has to be removed”?   Yeah, but I think the JB Weld would provide a better seal.  Ease of future reversal is rarely ever a consideration when I set out to modify something…

It never occurred to me this was a potential problem until I noticed it… after reassembly.

11/17/2022 3:37 PM  #6

That sure looks too blingy and modern for the Steve I know.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/17/2022 5:07 PM  #7

Bearing Bob wrote:

The price was right and included the compressor, ps pump, water pump and alternator I was going to have to buy anyway. And I like having the compressor on the passenger side, and everything sits low.  Like any other mods, once I get it working right it should be fine.

11/17/2022 5:57 PM  #8

MS wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

The price was right and included the compressor, ps pump, water pump and alternator I was going to have to buy anyway. And I like having the compressor on the passenger side, and everything sits low.  Like any other mods, once I get it working right it should be fine.

Being part non-gentile myself, it's hard to pass up a good deal. I don't even have to modify sumpin for it to turn into a 3 to 5 parts project. I too went to passenger side AC lines (thanks BB), which turned into a few more mods. Oh well, it keeps me out of bars.

11/17/2022 10:31 PM  #9

Tonight, after much frustration,  I determined that the big 5/8” thick aluminum plate that everything mounts to is easily warped drawing the pulleys out of alignment from left side to right side. It takes alot of trial end error and various thicknesses of shims installed on the four mounting bolts to get the accessories to come close to aligning with the water pump and crank pulleys.

MS official impression of this Wraptor setup:   CVF offers fantastic customer service. They warrantied Jose’s brand new Sanden AC compressor, my brand new GM Gen II power steering pump and my shorty water pump.  However, the system is just not a good design. Might be nice on a show car that is never started, but for something you want to be dependable for lots of miles, I would suggest trying something else.  There has got to be something with a better design than this out there.

If it had a reverse rotation water pump and two less idler pulleys, I think it would have a much higher rate of success.

11/18/2022 7:20 PM  #10

Today’s update. After a couple of hours worth of shimming and testing, I got this thing all lined up.
First, shim water pump pulley to match the crank pulley. Then shim the big mounting plate on the front of the water pump so the AC, PS and Alt line up. The key was all four mount bolts required different shim thicknesses to make it work.
Looks like all NINE pulleys now align.
I still have no long term confidence the bracket will stay securely bolted to the water pump, especially since there are now added spacers to allow for extra wiggle.

Give me a foxbody 5.0 serpentine system
Any day…

11/18/2022 8:39 PM  #11

11/18/2022 9:27 PM  #12

Think I'll hang on to the couple I have.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/18/2022 11:45 PM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Think I'll hang on to the couple I have.

Me too BB. I've got two too, but not a tutu.

11/19/2022 7:49 AM  #14

Were you able use that two-belt stuff I gave you?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/19/2022 12:28 PM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

Were you able use that two-belt stuff I gave you?

The Town Car set up? I don't think I was able to use anything. Hmm... maybe the water pump pulley, I think. The dual crank pulley has too big of an O.D. and interfered with my right side lower hose water pump.

11/19/2022 12:43 PM  #16

Well, it will work great on that 5.0 in the 56. Or the 331 you put in the 944. Or.....

11/24/2022 6:26 AM  #17

Well I guess I’m stuck with my CVF kit.  I’ll need to look into the water pump bolt hole issue.  I did have to make a .080 shim to line up my bottom pulley to the water pump pulley.  But I have yet to run the motor with a belt on it.   I plan on driving car as much as I can.  If I ever get it built.   Lol

11/24/2022 11:05 AM  #18

That is one 'busy'  front!!!!!! (I guess that's the point)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/24/2022 11:28 AM  #19

The anti-bling.

11/24/2022 12:12 PM  #20

RTM wrote:

Well I guess I’m stuck with my CVF kit.  I’ll need to look into the water pump bolt hole issue.  I did have to make a .080 shim to line up my bottom pulley to the water pump pulley.  But I have yet to run the motor with a belt on it.   I plan on driving car as much as I can.  If I ever get it built.   Lol

Very pretty but looks like a candidate for multiple bearing failures.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/24/2022 2:00 PM  #21

You have to remove the alternator pulley in order to get the belt on.

11/24/2022 8:33 PM  #22

I was wondering how the 5/8" aluminum plate could distort, but after looking at how much they remove, I understand now. 

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/04/2022 11:07 AM  #23

Update
After getting all the pulleys to line up, and spending $180 for a Ford brand super short water pump, and adding varied length spacers on all the four plate mounting bolts to get pulleys to align on the accessories, this system has gone 60 miles without any issues. Hopefully it will go many more. It seems to be functioning quite well.
Long term, I would still think some additional bracing to the heads would stabilize things.

12/05/2022 6:01 AM  #24

MS wrote:

Update
After getting all the pulleys to line up, and spending $180 for a Ford brand super short water pump, and adding varied length spacers on all the four plate mounting bolts to get pulleys to align on the accessories, this system has gone 60 miles without any issues. Hopefully it will go many more. It seems to be functioning quite well.
Long term, I would still think some additional bracing to the heads would stabilize things.

That's good news but sucks you had to put in so much work to get it to work.

12/05/2022 3:49 PM  #25

RTM wrote:

MS wrote:

Update

That's good news but sucks you had to put in so much work to get it to work.

I agree, can't help wondering if whatever they used for a mock up was not correct, or the mnaufacturer din't follow the specs (if made in China, this wouldn't surprise me) or just poor engineering.  Whatever the case, it is quite annoying that the customer has to fix it. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.