FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2013 10:13 AM  #1

65 6 Cylinder steering

On my last post I mentioned that I had a '65 I6 that I installed KH disc brakes on and was going to get an alignment.Members suggested that I also change out the steering components to the V8 parts and I agree. I now have all the parts needed to change everything and was wondering about a good starting point for the tierod ends. If I was just changing to parts I would count the amounts of turns out from the sleeves and just reverse to install. The V8 parts are larger, Will this procedure work as a starting point? also, what would be good good aligmnent numbers to give the shop for Toe-in, camber and caster? As always thanks for any help.

9/04/2013 12:15 PM  #2

Re: 65 6 Cylinder steering

Moved this message from the "Tips and How-To's" forum section as I think you'll get more answers here.

9/04/2013 3:26 PM  #3

Re: 65 6 Cylinder steering

Changing the spindles did not likely change your caster any, but the camber might need a change.  You can shim UCA bolts evenly front and rear until you get zero camber.  Do the camber adjustments first, then the toe.  If you use equal shim changes front/rear, it will not change caster.  A carpenter level is fine for this job.

Install the tie rods into the adjusting sleeves, evenly threaded until they are about 1/4" from touching each other.

Install pitman arm and idler arm and center link.

Center the steering wheel.

Adjust R&L wheels until pointing straight ahead with steering wheel centered.

Take measurement in front and in rear of front wheels at approx mid height of the tire.  Set toe in at 1/8" (1/16" per side, so the steering wheel stays centered.)

Do this and you will have a better alignment than you can buy anywhere.

Aim for these specs:
Caster (zero if stock, not lowered) 3 degrees each side for cars with Shelby drop.
Camber zero
Toe 1/8" toe in.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.