FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2023 3:14 PM  #1

Free 65/66 Mustang

I've got a buddy who has this free for the taking Mustang. It's located on his lot in Port Charlotte Florida. He's got a couple of weeks to remove it, so time is of the importance. The local sheriff has already checked it out. Lemme know if you're interested.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/05/2023 4:37 PM  #2

Re: Free 65/66 Mustang

Welp (thx RPM)...it AIN'T been sitting there long.
Florida, where Corky has big-time issues with his garage floor sweating so bad it caused stuff to rust almost over night
because of the humidity.
Florida, where you can SEE your air before ya breathe it!!
Florida, where they DON'T sand their roads in the winter.....because the whole state is a giant sand box!
Unless the body panels are "nicely" bondo'd it looks like some good doors-fenders-quarters-back bumper.
Would love to hear the story on the engine.....nice 'single-plane' intake....Valve kiverz are shiny-ier than mine...
(I see that blowmaster-40 muff too!!)
Lt. Dan was looking for doors wasn't he?! (pretty sure it's warmer in Flar-dee that where he's at!)
Is that a complete set of 'Aler-bammer mag wheels'?!
If I was 40 years younger........I might take-me-a-trip-to-Flar-dee!!
6sally6
How close to RTM is it?!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/05/2023 4:51 PM  #3

Don't know about the body Buttt the engine has potential 351 with a victor JR. intake???

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/05/2023 4:59 PM  #4

That is a true 'Yard Find'. But if the Sheriff didn't want it...........

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

2/05/2023 5:06 PM  #5

KeithP wrote:

But if the Sheriff didn't want it...........

Prolly meant....the sheriff has already made a visit and gave the warning to get rid of it...
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/05/2023 6:09 PM  #6

Does he have a place where he could pull and store parts?  It looks like the ole gal has a lot of good parts on her still.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/05/2023 7:30 PM  #7

I am sure the Sheriff checked to see if it was stolen is what he meant.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/05/2023 7:33 PM  #8

may have a nice 9 inch in it and discc brakes

2/06/2023 6:07 AM  #9

I’m local an interested.   If I can grab this thinking it might be a good coupe to fastback conversion.

Last edited by RTM (2/06/2023 7:23 AM)

2/06/2023 10:54 AM  #10

RTM wrote:

I’m local an interested.   If I can grab this thinking it might be a good coupe to fastback conversion.

Call me

Last edited by Bearing Bob (2/06/2023 1:20 PM)

2/06/2023 3:40 PM  #11

Cant beat the price!

2/06/2023 4:02 PM  #12

too cheap

2/06/2023 4:06 PM  #13

It looks like we've maybe saved another one. Thanks RTM!

2/06/2023 5:49 PM  #14

Bearing Bob wrote:

It looks like we've maybe saved another one. Thanks RTM!

Bob thanks for putting me in touch with your friend.  I drove up there to look at it, and to see how hard it will be to remove it from that environment.    Car is in really rough shape.   Not sure I would want to tackle another one this rough.  Then again it might be okay for a fastback conversion.  Would have to build a solid foundation first.  Most importantly, I would need to try and get a title before I started anything. 

Either way it has some good parts.   It’s going to be difficult to remove it and more so if the drums are frozen up.   I’m going to see if my buddy that lives near there can help me pull it out.  Not sure if I can drag it out with my truck.  He has some tree equipment that can get the job done. 

It’s a 289 automatic car.   I’m sure motor is locked solid with no carb on it and no plugs in the heads.  8 inch rear axle.  I forgot to see if the fronts were drums or disk.   Pretty sure it will be a drum setup.  Will do my best to try and pick it up on Saturday.  It’s going to take too much time to try and remove it after a full day of work.   I need the entire day to be safe.

2/07/2023 3:21 PM  #15

RTM - good luck if you decide to go forward.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/07/2023 3:27 PM  #16

Bring a cordless grinder with a couple batteries and a couple cutoff wheels.  Worst case if the drums are frozen just cut the face of the drum off the ring the rides on the shoes.  At least it'll roll that way.

2/07/2023 3:38 PM  #17

The plan is to grab it Saturday.  I just don’t think I can get it done before dark during the week.  I may be loading it on my.   My son the helper is in Marine boot camp.    I’ll post pictures on the event.

2/11/2023 12:04 PM  #18

I picked it up today.  I got really lucky.  Front drums were frozen solid.   I left the wheel on and removed the nut from the hub.  I was able to pry the front drums off and remove the brake shoes.   Didn’t take that long at all to do.  Backed up into the woods and pulled it up on the trailer.  Got it all done by myself.  Couldn’t find any help.   I have a dry place to store.   It may be a coupe to fastback conversion, as long as I don’t run into issues obtaining a title. 

2/11/2023 8:20 PM  #19

Tell me about that intake...........when ya get time.
Glad you got it with minor problemz.
6sal6

2/12/2023 6:01 AM  #20

6sally6 wrote:

Tell me about that intake...........when ya get time.
Glad you got it with minor problemz.
6sal6

Not sure what to say about the intake.  I did pull it so it’s sitting in my garage.  I’ll snap pictures of it and post them.

It’s a later model 302, not a roller motor.  Someone had done some engine work because the valve train has poly locks instead of the factory self locking nuts.  Intake ports on the heads clearly have had water in them, very rusty.   The engine will not turn over and I suspect it never will. Willing to bet the plugs had been pulled by prior owner to drain the water that had gotten into the cylinders.  I pulled the distributor and the oil level looks like it’s filled to the bottom of the cam.  Pretty sure it’s from all the water that’s found its way into the engine.

Found nothing in the trunk. This mustang is solid in places my current project wasn’t.  I think it will be a perfect coupe to do a fastback conversion. Metal work is my favorite part of any build but it will be a year or two before I will get to it.  Plus, the price was right to invest in the conversion     First step will be to apply for a title.

2/12/2023 10:22 AM  #21

RTM – good luck.  If nothing else, you got an intake manifold that has some value.
Just curious, what transmission is in it?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/12/2023 10:30 AM  #22

I’m glad it wasn’t terribly difficult to remove.
Doesn’t look like ya had to deal with mosquitoes at this time of year.

2/12/2023 10:44 AM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

I’m glad it wasn’t terribly difficult to remove.
Doesn’t look like ya had to deal with mosquitoes at this time of year.

I really expected it to be a nightmare to remove.    I thought I would have to drag it out of the woods to even load it.  I was able to back the trailer in there and get it close enough to winch onto the trailer.   If I had to, I was prepared to call a flatbed tow truck but only as a last resort.

2/12/2023 10:47 AM  #24

2/12/2023 11:14 AM  #25

Good luck with it, glad to see it saved.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.