FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2023 7:08 AM  #1

Four point bar or not?

I keep going back and fourth between wanting a four point bar with a removable cross bar for shoulder belts or not installing it.   No one will ever be in the back seat.  My only concern is if the car is fast enough and I don’t have it installed.   Then I won’t be able to run it on the drag strip.   My front seats are tall enough to keep my head away from any of the bars while driving it on the street.  Just can’t make my mind up and I need to decide on this real soon.

2/27/2023 9:42 AM  #2

Re: Four point bar or not?

Axe RPM how he likes a roll bar in a street rod........
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/27/2023 10:19 AM  #3

If you can get it high and tight with the roof out of the way I’d say go for it.  Personally I am going to put a 4 point, possibly a 6 in my car.

2/27/2023 10:30 AM  #4

I’ll dig up the pictures of what I want to copy.

2/27/2023 10:50 AM  #5

I saw this RTRStang66 on Facebook and he built a really nice coupe.  Here’s what he did with his cage.  Not sure I would add the front side bars but I like how the bars going to the rear stay tucked up and out of the way.  Pretty sure that’s legal for drag racing but it wouldn’t pass for road racing.   I would like to have the cross bar be removable.   

lorna doone setting crossword

2/27/2023 1:54 PM  #6

Do it!
I love mine.
Great place to mount the 4 - or 5-point harness.

2/27/2023 2:04 PM  #7

Prof wrote:

Do it!
I love mine.
Great place to mount the 4 - or 5-point harness.

Think I’ll order the parts tonight.  I have all the part numbers for the above setup.

2/27/2023 2:22 PM  #8

Like a lot of things I did to my 69, I put a roll bar in cuz I thought it was cool. It was probably the hardest mod I did because of the countless trips in and out to get the fit, and coping cuts to the bar ends correct. My back was on fire for days. I have a one piece Mustangs to Fear headliner which allows the main hoop to fit higher than with the stock headliner. I too do not use the back seat, and removed mine. It didn't take long to convert the cross bar to a removable one. While I was at it, I installed removable swing out door bars, although I've never used them. I also added two diagonal bars from where the hoop and cross bar meet, to the center hump. While I was at it, I installed a one piece seat riser and convertible inner rockers. Yes, I have no self control. While those add ons make the chassis really stiff, I'm not sure if do them again. Lemme know if you'd like pics.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/27/2023 2:31 PM  #9

Make sure it is a Mustang you want to keep.  And if you're keeping it, you only have to please yourself.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/27/2023 5:12 PM  #10

Pretty sure its not required at the strip until you are running 11.99 or faster, unless its a convertible which I think is 13.99 or faster.  If you think you are going to need it you might want to research the other equipment you will need.  A driveshaft loop is a definite.  An external master kill switch if the battery is in the trunk (regardless of ET).  There are others.  Typically you need a helmet with current certification to run over 13.99 as well. 

2/27/2023 5:15 PM  #11

Pictures would be great.  Always nice to see what others have done.  I have never installed anything like this so the more I can pick up, the better my odds are of it turning out ok.  The back seat is another thing I have not decided on.  For now I think I will install the back seat.  I think it will look better with a rear seat in a coupe than with out one.

I have added the vert inner rockers, torque boxes, inner and outer seat pans to this build.  Thinking the main hoop will tie in nicely to the vert inner rocker.  I will cut a hole in the inner rocker and weld it up.  Well that's what I think may happen.  lol

The plan for the mustang was to eventually give it to my son.  Since I picked up the free 65 coupe project I will build that for him, as a fastback. I will never sell it unless I was offered some stupid amount of money for it.  I'm at a point in my life where I do not have to sell things in order to get other things.  There are few mustangs/broncos I wish I could have kept.

2/28/2023 11:57 AM  #12

I thought I had more and better pictures, or as Sally would say,  mo betta.

2/28/2023 12:13 PM  #13

RTM wrote:

I keep going back and fourth between wanting a four point bar with a removable cross bar for shoulder belts or not installing it. No one will ever be in the back seat. My only concern is if the car is fast enough and I don’t have it installed. Then I won’t be able to run it on the drag strip. My front seats are tall enough to keep my head away from any of the bars while driving it on the street. Just can’t make my mind up and I need to decide on this real soon.

Definitely download the NHRA rulebook. It's a bit daunting and confusing to read at 1st (at least to my pea brain), but it is what you need to determine what type of "roll bar" "roll cage" etc along with other safety equipment you need vs your track times. Also when designing it keep in mind that a LOT of driving will be done without a helmet or other safety clothing. So use good padding and watch for protrusions, tabs, etc. Lots of people have had head injuries when whacking their noggin against a bar in a fender bender.

2/28/2023 5:27 PM  #14

Raymond_B wrote:

RTM wrote:

I keep going back and fourth between wanting a four point bar with a removable cross bar for shoulder belts or not installing it. No one will ever be in the back seat. My only concern is if the car is fast enough and I don’t have it installed. Then I won’t be able to run it on the drag strip. My front seats are tall enough to keep my head away from any of the bars while driving it on the street. Just can’t make my mind up and I need to decide on this real soon.

Definitely download the NHRA rulebook. It's a bit daunting and confusing to read at 1st (at least to my pea brain), but it is what you need to determine what type of "roll bar" "roll cage" etc along with other safety equipment you need vs your track times. Also when designing it keep in mind that a LOT of driving will be done without a helmet or other safety clothing. So use good padding and watch for protrusions, tabs, etc. Lots of people have had head injuries when whacking their noggin against a bar in a fender bender.

Yep. I looked at both NHRA and SCCA.

2/28/2023 5:49 PM  #15

The large cardboard template is a great idea.  You really went all out on your setup.  Not sure mine will look that good.

Safety is what I'm thinking about.  The front seats I have are tall enough that my head will never encounter the roll bar at any point.  Very very unlikely anyone will ever be in the back seat.  My only plan to install the rear seat is I think it will look better with the rear seat than without it.

I have the bars in the Jegs shopping cart.  Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I may have time tomorrow at work to look at the NHRA rules.  I thought I had read them before, and that was where I got the notion the rear mounted bars could be bent for NHRA rules.  Road course racing the rear bars have to be straight. 

2/28/2023 6:06 PM  #16

RTM wrote:

The front seats I have are tall enough that my head will never encounter the roll bar at any point.  Very very unlikely anyone will ever be in the back seat.   

Not to be too pedantic, but I believe there's rules about the top hoop and it's placement relative to your head. Anyway the rule book will settle that question

2/28/2023 6:16 PM  #17

PEDANTIC !!!!..........Who sez we ain't high class  !
6sally6

I like the lil young'un !!! (She must favor her Mom!!!)
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (2/28/2023 6:24 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/28/2023 6:19 PM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

PEDANTIC !!!!..........Who sez we ain't high class !
6sally6

LOL

3/01/2023 8:01 AM  #19

Raymond_B wrote:

RTM wrote:

The front seats I have are tall enough that my head will never encounter the roll bar at any point.  Very very unlikely anyone will ever be in the back seat.   

Not to be too pedantic, but I believe there's rules about the top hoop and it's placement relative to your head. Anyway the rule book will settle that question

There are such rules.  I would read those rules really carefully, and make sure whatever you buy complies with them before installing it. 

Another thing you may want to consider is how stringent your local track is withe the rules.  I typically go to Cecil County Dragway in Maryland.  To say they are a bit lax on rules enforcement is an understatement.  My last trip I ran sub 13.99 all night with no helmet and got one comment, but no one made me stop running.  My best pass was a 13 flat.  No driveshaft loop either.  We raced Englishtown, NJ a couple times and they were uber strict.

The big thing is that at certain ETs or MPH you are required to install various items for safety, but the SFI certification on them runs out at some point.  So you need to be aware that you may have to change your flywheel or balancer or scattershield, or helmet every so many years to stay legal if they are strict where you run. 

3/01/2023 8:49 AM  #20

So far it looks like I’m fine with no bar at all until I hit the 11.49 mark.   I would assume I can build the bar anyway I wanted to.  No requirements for a safety shield or flywheel.  I do have an approved steel flywheel and approved twin disk clutch.  I will install a scatter shield if I could find one for a 1994 model T5. The one for 93 T5’s is too short for the 94 model T5.  Not changing the input shaft because it has been built by G Force with a 26 spline input shaft. 

If I run 11.99 or quicker then I would need steel valve stems.  Things change a lot at the 11.49 mark and that requires a 6 point bar setup.  Pretty sure the front bars do have to be straight. Still looking for the specifics on bar design.

If I’m quicker than 13.99 I will need a drive shaft loop.  I have one but will need to install it.   No idea how fast the car will go with a 500hp motor in a 2800lb car.  I’m only running a 3.70 rear gear and a 315 street strip tire.  Pretty ill be in the 12 second range.  Not sure I’ll see 11’s. 

The track I will most likely run at is Bradenton Fl.  I may be going there soon to watch someone race.  I’ll ask their tech guys what is required and at what elapsed times. 

The four point bar is from Jegs and it includes straight rear bars.   I would be okay with the straight bars as long as they land on top off the rear frame rail and not go through the upper part of the back seat.

3/01/2023 9:04 AM  #21

How fast it will run is going to depend on traction.  500HP is enough power in a car that light to run high 10s.  Whether or not the rear gear is "right" depends on a lot of factors, but mostly the max RPM of the engine, as ideally you want to run through the traps right at max RPM.

Changing the input shaft in a T5 is really easy.  I wouldn't let that stop me from running a scattersheild. 

3/01/2023 11:31 AM  #22

TKOPerformance wrote:

How fast it will run is going to depend on traction.  500HP is enough power in a car that light to run high 10s.  Whether or not the rear gear is "right" depends on a lot of factors, but mostly the max RPM of the engine, as ideally you want to run through the traps right at max RPM.

Changing the input shaft in a T5 is really easy.  I wouldn't let that stop me from running a scattersheild. 

I agree the input shaft is an easy thing to swap.  Just an added cost plus I will have to make another cross member to the trans mount.  I just can’t believe there isn’t a scatter bell for a 1994/95 mustang.   The cam is good to 6200rpm.   Here’s a picture of the 315.  Never ran a street/strip tire. 

3/01/2023 11:34 AM  #23

Bearing Bob wrote:

I thought I had more and better pictures, or as Sally would say, mo betta.

Bearing Bob - very nicely done.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/01/2023 12:00 PM  #24

My advice would leave the gears alone for now.  You'll have to run it until you get good at launching it and can run consistent times.  Then, if you find you are still hitting the traps at say 5,500RPM you can at least say you could run faster with a different (higher numerically) rear gear.  Once you have that data there is a formula to determine optimal gearing.  On the other had you may find you don't want to change it and can live with a slower 1/4 in the interest of lower RPM highway cruising, etc.

A 315 is basically a 12.5" wide tire.  I've seen guys run high 8s on 10.5s.  Those were slicks though.  Even among street/strip tires there's a lot of difference in terms of compounds.  I would see if the manufacturer suggests you do a burnout or not.  A sticky tire benefits from a burnout, a more street oriented tire is actually hurt by one (they become greasy and actually lose traction).  So, this is another area where you are going to need to do some testing.  Pay close attention to your 60' time and adjust technique, air pressure, etc. to get the best possible 60'.  You'd need like a 1.6 something to hit the 10s.  I doubt that's possible without slicks in a RWD vehicle.  I would shoot for a low 1.9 or high 1.8.  You may still have to peddle the car through 1st and maybe some of 2nd.  A lot of guys will try to drive through wheelspin, but I can tell you that it hurts your time.  Loss of traction, while cool on the street, is a killer at the strip. 

The next question is suspension.  If you are planning a canyon carving friendly setup you're going to make some tradeoffs that will hurt performance on the dragstrip.  You can have a bit of both worlds with adjustable shocks, but generally a strip car wants lighter springs in the front to get the front to rise (shock valving comes into play here too), and stiffer springs/shocks in the rear to avoid compression (you want the body to rise off the tires, because this plants the tires (squatting is bad)). 

All cars are a series of compromises based on use.  A dedicated strip car with 500HP in a 2800lb vehicle on slicks can run 10s all day long.  Realistically you are probably looking at low 12s, maybe high 11s once you get good at running it. 

3/01/2023 12:18 PM  #25

I would be happy if it broke into the 11’s.  I’m not going to chase the fastest ET.  Not sure I would ever run a full on slick.  Just want to hit the track every now and then.  It will be more street use than racing.  If I’m going to add a four point bar I may as well do it right so if I do need a proper four point bar, then I would have it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.