FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2023 10:06 PM  #1

looking for a transmission

i have a 1966 Ford F100 with a 351 W engine and a 3 on the tree trans. I would like to upgrade to a 5 speed.
But i want to use the bench seat. So the shifter needs to be more to the front of the transmission, so a T5 has the shifter on the back tail shaft . Any suggestions would be great 
Thanks  

3/13/2023 4:48 AM  #2

Re: looking for a transmission

Well, if cost is no object you can use one of the Tremecs.  They have multiple shifter locations available.  Another option is that the T5 was used in 4WD applications (Jeep, Chevy S10s, Ford Rangers, and there may be others).  The issue is that the 4WD T5s were all NWC.  There may be a way to get a WC with the short tailshaft setup, but I couldn't tell you exactly how to do it.  If you want to go that route I'd contact Bob Hanlon at Hanlon Motorsports.

https://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

He can also sell you a Tremec if you'd rather go that way, and will know about the various shifter locations possible with those transmissions.  Bob's a great guy with a ton of knowledge.  I've know him for almost 20 years.  He'll take good care of you. 

3/13/2023 5:33 AM  #3

The Mazda 5 speed found in F150’s has the shifter forward.   I forget which years but there’s a V6 model of this trans and it has the same bell housing pattern as the SB.  It has the shifter 1 or 2 inches further back from the earlier model Mazda(M5ROD?).  I put the V6 model one in my old 71 bronco.

3/13/2023 6:05 AM  #4

I'll add that a lot of what trans you can ultimately use depends on intended use.  Most the the junkyard find 5 speeds that would work are not going to withstand a lot of abuse.  They were meant for light duty applications behind engines making a lot less torque than a 351.  Be aware that on street tires you aren't going to be able to shock load the trans enough in 1st (on a launch for example), or probably 2nd to break anything.  You go ripping 3rd though and its probably not going to live long.  FWIW, almost every T5 I've ever seen with a broken gear had 3rd gear broken.  The only exceptions I can think of were cars that were run on slicks. 

3/13/2023 12:44 PM  #5

Any mods to the 351?
That is a factor how long a stock T-5 will hold up.
Glenrose Performance  had rebuilt &beefier T-5s. (he's a member on here
6sally6
Welcome BTW ...new guy...where ya from ?

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/13/2023 1:47 PM  #6

no Mods just a stock 351 W
live in Milford TX about an hour south of Dallas 
I talked to a person over at the GoodGuys show last weekend and he told me this was a very good and Ford friendly website 
Thanks 

3/13/2023 2:12 PM  #7

I should add if anyone ever uses the V6 model Mazda trans you have to open up the bell housing bolt holes.  The metric bolts for the bell housing are a tad smaller on the V6.

3/13/2023 2:49 PM  #8

what year would the transmission be , can i use the flywheel and clutch on the 351 W ?

3/13/2023 3:55 PM  #9

A T5 WC will be fine if you don't get carried away.  If you plan to run the truck hard, powershift, etc. then its not going to last long term.  You'll blow 3rd gear for sure.  There are a lot of ways you can upgrade a T5, but the cost is probably going to be on par with just buying a Tremec, especially if you can't rebuild it yourself.  You may be able to find a used 3550 or TKO.  They are starting to pop up used.  Generally they are tough transmissions, and you could refresh one for about $650 worth of parts (synchros, bearings, etc.).  Some guys aren't thrilled with how they shift.  Hanlon has carbon lined synchros that fix that issue.  Worth doing, especially if you are going to rebuild it anyway. 

3/16/2023 8:45 AM  #10

The T5 from the S-10 series of GM pickups had a forward mounted shifter.  There is a way to change the tailshaft to the Ford version of the T5, but getting the mechanical speedo to work has some hoops to jump through.  

S10 Tail Housing on Mustang T5 - Anything better than stock S10 Mount? | Vintage Mustang Forums (vintage-mustang.com)

Last edited by TimC (3/16/2023 8:58 AM)

3/16/2023 10:00 AM  #11

Remember those are NWC transmissions.  They can probably work, but I wouldn't plan to beat on it very much.  The question to me would be: does the NWC S10 T5 have the same length mainshaft as say a Fox Mustang T5?  If so, can I use the NWC top cover & shifting mechanism plus the NWC tailshaft and convert a Fox Mustang T5 to the better shifter location for a truck?  This way you get a WC T5 with the better shifter location.  Like I said though, I don't know.  That's a Bob Hanlon question for sure. 

3/16/2023 10:57 AM  #12

I should have said "there is a way to change the tail housing".  That way you can get the WC Mustang T5 with a better shifter location for a bench seat.

It seems to me that the 5 speed from a SBF F150, as RTM suggests, seems like a better way to go.  If Oscar has a mechanical speedometer in his 66 F100, he would still have that situation to solve.  I once used a "Cable-X" converter for a T56 in an S10 to keep the mechanical speedo gauge.

3/16/2023 3:46 PM  #13

So what all needs to be changed over?  I'm assuming the top cover and tailshaft housing.  You really should at least check the mainshaft endplay when you swap tailshaft housings. 

3/17/2023 7:27 AM  #14

It’s been a long time since I did that trans swap, but I’m sure I could dig up my old post on classic broncos if you needed more information.  I even listed the MC and all for the installation.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.