FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2023 4:50 PM  #1

F100 Rear Suspension

For the F100 build, I am considering a four-link set up for the 8.8 swap over the leaf springs to get a little more tire room and adjustability. I'm curious, any of you that have gone this route, do you prefer a triangulated 4-link or a parallel with a pan-hard bar. Any pros or cons either direction?

3/22/2023 5:01 AM  #2

Re: F100 Rear Suspension

A paralell setup with a panhard rod would by my preference.  The triangulated setup is trying to get away without the panhad rod, and the result is that typically there's a point where something binds due to the different operating arcs of the links.

Another option you may consider is a truck arm system.  GM trucks in the '60s used this for a time.  It was considered good enough that its the basis for NASCAR rear suspension to this day.  You can try these guys:

http://www.hotrodstohell.net/truckarm/truckarm_index.htm

Its GM applications, but this is the company I know of that offers such a system, and since this is custom anyway I'll bet they've done them for makes other than GM.

3/22/2023 5:20 AM  #3

I would also go panhard bar setup.

I follow a couple of Facebook groups and one of the big swaps is installing the rear independent mustang axle under their trucks.

3/22/2023 10:43 AM  #4

I've got triangulated arms in the 69, and 4 bar parallel with Panhard (Panhard was a dude) bar in the 56 F100, which I've not driven. You'll have to ask MS how he liked the 4 bar.  I mostly agree with TKO, but the Cup cars today have IRS. For years the plan with my next 56 was to put the shivy truck arms in the rear. Their pivot bushings are large and allow movement,  unlike the small bushings in aftermarket control arms. I've yet to find the perfect pivotalable rear control arm connector for the triangulated rear that doesn't wear prematurely and/or bind.

I like the idea of the triangulated in that it keeps the axle centered.  Even with a 60 inch Panhard bar you'll get side shift.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/22/2023 11:15 AM  #5

Bearing Bob wrote:

I've got triangulated arms in the 69, and 4 bar parallel with Panhard (Panhard was a dude) bar in the 56 F100, which I've not driven. You'll have to ask MS how he liked the 4 bar. I mostly agree with TKO, but the Cup cars today have IRS. For years the plan with my next 56 was to put the shivy truck arms in the rear. Their pivot bushings are large and allow movement, unlike the small bushings in aftermarket control arms. I've yet to find the perfect pivotalable rear control arm connector for the triangulated rear that doesn't wear prematurely and/or bind.

I like the idea of the triangulated in that it keeps the axle centered. Even with a 60 inch Panhard bar you'll get side shift.

I stopped caring about NASCAR when all the cars became a NASCAR supplied chassis, so I didn't know they were now IRS.  Thanks for the info. 

There's something Currie makes for off road applications called a Johnny Joint that might be what you're looking for Bob.  Check this out:

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/products/johnny-joints-rod-ends?gclid=CjwKCAjwzuqgBhAcEiwAdj5dRpiqLWTUWONK-jXExplyypfNMbofA0Dck08wHbvO5NC7RKHQ9HoMGRoCPr4QAvD_BwE

3/22/2023 11:21 AM  #6

In my former 56, it had a triangulated four bar under it, not a panhard.   I liked it because it could easily be adjusted to center the axle, but do not really like the concept.
If I were doing one today, it would have four link with a full-on watts link setup, available from 2003 and up Crown Vics and variants.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2023 4:59 PM  #7

I have strongly considered the Mustang S550 IRS & the Thunderbird IRS, Cost is really the only thing holding that back. I have an extra Explorer 8.8 with trac-loc and 3.73 that will only cost me a fresh bearing and seal kit with some new leaf spring plates. I started thinking about the adjustability of the coil overs and that sent me towards a 4-link.
I may just throw the 8.8 in it with leaf springs and do the IRS at a later date.

3/22/2023 5:41 PM  #8

I did a 54 F100 with a 2003 Crown Vic 8.8 on the original leaf springs. I removed three leafs. It sat right and rode amazingly well with the crown vic front end.

I also widened the outside of the bed 2” per side which moved the fenders out where they fit over the wider rear end perfectly.  I even made new stake pockets to complete the deception.

3/22/2023 9:27 PM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

There's something Currie makes for off road applications called a Johnny Joint that might be what you're looking for Bob.  Check this out:

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/products/johnny-joints-rod-ends?gclid=CjwKCAjwzuqgBhAcEiwAdj5dRpiqLWTUWONK-jXExplyypfNMbofA0Dck08wHbvO5NC7RKHQ9HoMGRoCPr4QAvD_BwE

I have those on the inner lower control arms. I've thought of using them on the rear, but with them being so wide I'd have to redo all of the mounts. And I'm kinda lazy.

3/22/2023 10:27 PM  #10

MS wrote:

In my former 56, it had a triangulated four bar under it, not a panhard.   I liked it because it could easily be adjusted to center the axle, but do not really like the concept.
If I were doing one today, it would have four link with a full-on watts link setup, available from 2003 and up Crown Vics and variants.

I know your old 56 doesn't have a Panhard bar, don't know why I wrote that. But based on what I've read so far, you had what TCI (which I think is what's in your old truck) calls a track bar, which does the same thing as a Panhard but without side movement.

This is what I've known to be a triangulated 4 bar, with the upper arms angled and the lowers parallel. But I rarely get the nomenclature correct.

3/23/2023 6:55 AM  #11

A track bar and a panhard rod are the same thing.  Typically you hear the term "panhard rod" used to refer to a part of a rear suspension, and the term "track bar" used to talk about part of a 4WD front suspension.  Both mount one need to the frame and the other to the axle.  The degree of side to side movement is based on the design.  A good design can give almost no side to side movement.  If you truly must have no side to side movement you're better off with a Watts linkage.  Watts linkage isn't typically used in OEM applications because it costs more than a panhard rod. 

As for triangulated 4 link vs. parallel with a panhard rod the later is better.  Fox cars had a triangulated 4 link.  Due primarily to the length disparity between the upper and lower arms Fox cars would encounter bind under high cornering loads that could stop suspension movement, cause the tires to break loose, and the car to spin.  I always head this referenced as "snap oversteer".  I experienced it first hand and it was terrifying.

A third possibility not discussed yet is a trailing link, torque arm, and panhard rod setup.  It's what 3rd and 4th gen GM F cars used.  I have an '89 GT and an '86 IROC.  I like the Mustang a lot better, but there's no comparison in terms of how the two cars handle stock vs. stock.  The IROC is much more stable, less rear happy, much more predictable, and much more confidence inspiring.  I've added a Maximum Motorsports panhard rod to the GT.  Eventually I will probably abandon the stock upper arms and also use their torque arm kit.  That will give me the best of both worlds. 

IRS to me depends on what you want the truck to do.  It will ride somewhat better with IRS.  The downside to IRS is the handling is totally different due to a lack of anti-dive during braking and anti-squat during acceleration (including cornering).  They require totally different driving styles to run fast.  To me, unless the goal is to look super cool at a car show, I'd rather save the IRS money and put it elsewhere in the truck.  You'll get a fine ride with coil overs and handling will be excellent with a properly designed solid axle suspension system.

3/24/2023 7:29 AM  #12

Maximum Motorsports had great success with their torque arm in the foxbody and SN95 platforms.

I have always considered one for the 65.
I’m too poor for the kits that are designed for the first generation Mustangs…ok cheap.😂

What about a trapezoidal leaf spring setup?

Last edited by Nos681 (3/24/2023 7:32 AM)

3/24/2023 11:38 AM  #13

Nos681 wrote:

Expound please. Is not a trapezoidal leaf spring its shape? Would you use then in a parallel setup, or some other way?

3/24/2023 12:02 PM  #14

You mean a transverse leaf spring?  Corvettes used them in certain years.

3/24/2023 4:32 PM  #15

Buggy springs...Model A's and Model T's had them.  Worked fine for the last 113 years.  'Course most of those cars didn't go racin'.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2023 6:00 PM  #16

So did wagons pulled by horses.

3/24/2023 7:27 PM  #17

My main goals for my rear suspension are:
Ride quality
Space for lots of rubber
Adjustable to dial in pinion if required with lowered height

I want a really really really enjoyable cruiser with a nice rake and aggressive look.

Any performance benefits would just be a bonus.

3/25/2023 1:25 PM  #18

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Expound please. Is not a trapezoidal leaf spring its shape? Would you use then in a parallel setup, or some other way?

As viewed from the top (or bottom).

Leaf springs NOT parallel to each other…in a trapezoid arrangement.

I know there would be other challenges to this such as the gas tank, exhaust, and body anchor locations.

I was looking at some old hot rods with a frame last summer and thought about placing springs inboard at one end and outboard on opposite end.  I don’t know what angle would be required to keep axle centered.  Then of course the additional can-o-worms of shocks, spring plates, axle pad relocation, etc.

3/25/2023 6:13 PM  #19

Maybe a lil tooo much-of-the-good-stuff ?!?
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/25/2023 6:13 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/26/2023 4:54 AM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

As viewed from the top (or bottom).

Leaf springs NOT parallel to each other…in a trapezoid arrangement.

I know there would be other challenges to this such as the gas tank, exhaust, and body anchor locations.

I was looking at some old hot rods with a frame last summer and thought about placing springs inboard at one end and outboard on opposite end.  I don’t know what angle would be required to keep axle centered.  Then of course the additional can-o-worms of shocks, spring plates, axle pad relocation, etc.

What be the purpose of this method with leaf springs over being parallel?   Is it just for clearance purposes?

3/26/2023 5:51 AM  #21

I think the idea is to remove potential side to side movement from the system.  The issue is that the springs are still going to need shackles, and that's where the movement gets introduced.  I'd rather just go to Del-Alum bushings in the springs and shackles to remove potential flex.  I think angling the springs would exacerbate the movement of the axle fore and aft as the suspension compresses, which changes pinion angle.  It would be simple enough for OEMs to build cars like this, yet I've never seen it. 

3/26/2023 9:07 AM  #22

It was 2007 Toyota Trundra.

Apparently I have been thinking about this for a while.
I think it was mentioned in advertisements as well.
It is mentioned in their sales information.

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Toyota/Tundra/Toyota_US%20Tundra_DC_4x4_2007.pdf

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/trapezoidal-leaf-springs.25228/

Last edited by Nos681 (3/26/2023 9:10 AM)

3/26/2023 9:10 AM  #23

Simplest is always best

3/27/2023 9:36 PM  #24

So true.

3/28/2023 7:54 AM  #25

That is by all means the theme for this Truck,

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.