FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2023 12:39 PM  #1

2003 cobra brake lines and fittings?

I have to make all new brake lines and since I have the hydroboost/calipers from a 2003 cobra.  I figured why not use all late model stuff.  Do I just buy a box of 10mm nuts for the tube ends?  If that is even the size I need.  I can buy the front and back braided lines as a kit, a roll of tubing and then I think all I need is the line nuts.

3/28/2023 12:51 PM  #2

Re: 2003 cobra brake lines and fittings?

Just verify what kind you need.
Bubble or inverted flare.

3/28/2023 1:14 PM  #3

What I’ve read is it should be double flare.  I can’t recall if I have the double flaring tool or not.  Need to check.  I guess I could buy one 10mm at the parts store and see if it fits everything. 

Here’s what I would like to buy for the flexible lines.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/russell-brake-kit-9904cobra.html

3/28/2023 1:17 PM  #4

Is the NiCopp tubing ok to use?  I’ve never worked with anything other than steel tubing for the brake lines.   Replaced a lot of lines when I lived in Ohio.  Salted roads would eat the lines up.

3/28/2023 2:09 PM  #5

NiCopp is great stuff. I used it to make all the lines on my car. Super easy to bend and flare and had no leaks at all.

3/28/2023 6:01 PM  #6

I used Inline Tube for my stainless flexible lines.
Reasonably priced and they also have stuff listed on Flea Bay.
They have various different kits too for large projects.

From personal experience, pay attention to listing as sold individually or in pairs.
Another tip, don’t necessarily look for Mustang.
I found the lengths I needed actually listed for GM and Jeep.
They were also DOT rated.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/28/2023 7:44 PM)

3/28/2023 9:01 PM  #7

Cobra front brake factory hoses use 3/16” tubing but one side has 3/8” threads and the other side has 7/16” threads on the car body end. If using generic hoses, you can make them both have normal 3/8” SAE threads

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/29/2023 6:05 AM  #8

MS wrote:

Cobra front brake factory hoses use 3/16” tubing but one side has 3/8” threads and the other side has 7/16” threads on the car body end. If using generic hoses, you can make them both have normal 3/8” SAE threads

I wonder if the braided lines that came with the R&C MII setup will work.  I still have the brand new MII brake parts.

3/29/2023 8:36 AM  #9

I updated to a Hydroboost system on my 65, and invested in a bubble-flair tool (I already had a double-flair tool), I used Copper-Nickle tubing (these old hands can’t bend SS tubing like I used to!)  I bought the tubing locally, and some fittings, etc. from Classic Tube and Inline Tube.  Also, “Pure Choice Motorsports” offers fittings for unique applications.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/29/2023 9:09 AM  #10

Cobra hose routing. For best results, the hard lines need to terminate along the frame directly under the center of the UCA.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/29/2023 9:23 AM  #11

Some good information that will get started in the direction.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.