FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2023 6:04 AM  #1

Picked up a 1970 fastback shell

Found a 70 F code fastback for sale near me.  I couldn’t pass up the deal.   Plus it’s far cheaper building this one than converting the free 65 coupe I had gotten, which may already be sold. 

The fastback has already had the torque boxes, outer tubs, quarter panels, floor pans replaced.  Sadly the previous owner started to remove the shock towers.   It came with all new towers and mounts.  When I asked why they were removed, he said his buddy was going to move the forward.  Made no sense to me. I’ll need to find a lot of parts for it.  I couldn’t buy a roof for what I paid for it. 

My son prefers a fastback and who doesn’t.  I let him decide on what he preferred.  He picked the 70 fastback over building the 65 coupe into a fastback.  Sadly he will no longer be able to help work on either project because he finally got into the Marines.   I’m super happy he just happens to be home on leave and was here to pick the car up with me. On a side note, he gets an extra 21 days of leave plus the 10 they normally get after bootcamp.  I’ll build this car for him the way he wants it.

The car with a killer roller cart too. 

4/18/2023 9:51 AM  #2

Re: Picked up a 1970 fastback shell

Looks like a good solid start.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/18/2023 12:01 PM  #3

My son bought a rough 69 fastback last fall.  Everything has to be replaced.  He paid $5500 for his.

4/18/2023 12:07 PM  #4

Nice score. Any chance you need a new step son? I am available.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/18/2023 3:57 PM  #5

Sooooooooo....the shock towers ARE in it ?!!
IF they weren't  in I would LEAVE THEM OUT.  You gotta do front end stuff anyway......
It still amazes me just how much MORE room is under the hood with OUT those towers.(Big Block Room!!!)
Anywho.....looks like you run across a super find.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/18/2023 4:50 PM  #6

Nice find…can’t wait to see the next project.

4/18/2023 5:18 PM  #7

I always liked the 70.  My first Mustang was a 70 M code Mach I.  Then the next nine Mustangs were 70 fastbacks and convertibles.  They make great highway cars.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/18/2023 5:18 PM  #8

No room for step children. Lol

I looked up the cart and it’s made by Auto Twirler and cost $750 for an unpainted version which is what I have. 

I have given thought to installing an MII style front end.  I went that route on the current build and it was cheaper to buy an MII setup than replace all the stock stuff and upgrade to disk brakes.  I could sell the new replacement towers.   Plus my son said he wants the Godzilla engine put in it.  Thinks I’m made of money.  Lol

I have no room to work on two projects at a time.  Once I finish the current build I’ll start on this one.  I will shop for deals on parts I need.  Best way to look for parts is when you’re not in need of them right away. 

The panel replacement is to my standards but I think I can clean it all up like I would do it.  So there will be some reworking going on which may or may not be as bad as replacing them from the get go.  At least I can use everything they have installed. 

4/18/2023 9:37 PM  #9

Nice find. I would have scooped that up too if it were near me.

4/19/2023 7:52 AM  #10

RTM wrote:

No room for step children. Lol

I looked up the cart and it’s made by Auto Twirler and cost $750 for an unpainted version which is what I have.

I have given thought to installing an MII style front end. I went that route on the current build and it was cheaper to buy an MII setup than replace all the stock stuff and upgrade to disk brakes. I could sell the new replacement towers. Plus my son said he wants the Godzilla engine put in it. Thinks I’m made of money. Lol

I have no room to work on two projects at a time. Once I finish the current build I’ll start on this one. I will shop for deals on parts I need. Best way to look for parts is when you’re not in need of them right away.

The panel replacement is to my standards but I think I can clean it all up like I would do it. So there will be some reworking going on which may or may not be as bad as replacing them from the get go. At least I can use everything they have installed.

We were thinking MS II and coyote for our project too.  Ill have to look into Godzilla also. 

4/19/2023 7:53 AM  #11

4/19/2023 8:59 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

IF they weren't in I would LEAVE THEM OUT. You gotta do front end stuff anyway......
It still amazes me just how much MORE room is under the hood with OUT those towers.(Big Block Room!!!)
6sally6

I had the MII front end installed in my 65 and am quite happy with it.  Nearly 7" more room on each side with the shock towers removed.  And one can fit nearly any engine in the engine bay.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/20/2023 5:00 AM  #13

As most of the stock stuff gets replaced with upgrades or new parts anyway its a heck of a score.  I looked a buying a '70 when I was in college, but the guy was nuts on what he wanted price wise (at the time).

4/20/2023 6:22 AM  #14

Be sure you use MustangSteve door hinges and pedal bearings in your future build.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/20/2023 7:59 AM  #15

MS wrote:

Be sure you use MustangSteve door hinges and pedal bearings in your future build.

I would second this suggestion.  I installed the MS pedal bearings and am quite pleased with the results.  And yes, the old bushings had worn through and pedal shaft had damaged the pedal frame.  

4/20/2023 1:04 PM  #16

BobE wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

IF they weren't in I would LEAVE THEM OUT. You gotta do front end stuff anyway......
6sally6

I had the MII front end installed in my 65 and am quite happy with it.  Nearly 7" more room on each side with the shock towers removed.  And one can fit nearly any engine in the engine bay.

BobE, do you recall what MS II kit you went with?

4/20/2023 4:32 PM  #17

Steve69, my dream is to have a 69 fastback for myself.  

I have the Rod & Custom MII coil over setup on the 66 coupe I am building now.  It was super easy to install and the customer service is by far the best I have ever delt with.  Long story but R&C did not have to except my parts as I was in possession of them for a while and changed directions.  They still took the new parts in exchange for the ones I now needed and more.  I should add that R&C has replaced the upper T bolts with round bolts for better holding power.  My kit had come with the T bolts so I bought the new bolts.

There are three things I like about going with an MII kit.  One is the rack and pinion steering and its my favorite upgrade.  Two you get disk brakes and three, more room in the engine bay.  I have brand new towers and mounts to reinstall but just may sell them,  I have a year to think it over and shop for deals on the things I will need.

MS, I have your bearing kit in the 66 coupe I am building.  I must say I have forgotten about the door hinges and will need to look into them. 

I failed to look at the data sticker on the door to see what I really have.  Not that it matters and in fact I would prefer it not to be a real Mach 1.  If it is a real Mach 1 then I would almost and I say almost feel bad about not restoring it back to stock.

Now if we could just find the right house to buy with a detached garage and or enough property to build a garage, then I could work on more than one project at a time.  lol

4/21/2023 7:00 AM  #18

Steve69 wrote:

BobE wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

Rod & Custom Motorsports in South Carolina, very good people to work.  I had originally ordered 'stock' spindles but once the car was back on the ground, the ride height was to tall.  They accepted these spindles back and exchanged them for the 2" drop spindles.  I did have to purchase the 2" spindles, shipped them back, R&C inspected for damage, and then refunded my money.  
Good luck.

4/21/2023 11:00 AM  #19

RTM wrote:

Steve69, my dream is to have a 69 fastback for myself.  

I have the Rod & Custom MII coil over setup on the 66 coupe I am building now.  It was super easy to install and the customer service is by far the best I have ever delt with.  Long story but R&C did not have to except my parts as I was in possession of them for a while and changed directions.  They still took the new parts in exchange for the ones I now needed and more.  I should add that R&C has replaced the upper T bolts with round bolts for better holding power.  My kit had come with the T bolts so I bought the new bolts.

There are three things I like about going with an MII kit.  One is the rack and pinion steering and its my favorite upgrade.  Two you get disk brakes and three, more room in the engine bay.  I have brand new towers and mounts to reinstall but just may sell them,  I have a year to think it over and shop for deals on the things I will need.

MS, I have your bearing kit in the 66 coupe I am building.  I must say I have forgotten about the door hinges and will need to look into them. 

I failed to look at the data sticker on the door to see what I really have.  Not that it matters and in fact I would prefer it not to be a real Mach 1.  If it is a real Mach 1 then I would almost and I say almost feel bad about not restoring it back to stock.

Now if we could just find the right house to buy with a detached garage and or enough property to build a garage, then I could work on more than one project at a time.  lol

Thanks for the info!

4/21/2023 11:00 AM  #20

BobE wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

BobE wrote:

Rod & Custom Motorsports in South Carolina, very good people to work.  I had originally ordered 'stock' spindles but once the car was back on the ground, the ride height was to tall.  They accepted these spindles back and exchanged them for the 2" drop spindles.  I did have to purchase the 2" spindles, shipped them back, R&C inspected for damage, and then refunded my money.  
Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.