FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2023 7:20 PM  #2

Re: Anybody used these Alternators 110 and140amp before off Amazon or Ebay

I used a 100 amp on the last car was on it 17 years.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/10/2023 7:21 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/11/2023 5:06 AM  #3

I'm personally not a fan of one wire alternators.  I'd rather have output based on system feedback than by simply reading what the alternator is putting out. 

No experience with either unit.  On Amazon I typically go by reviews, and there are none.  Personally I would avoid them. 

5/11/2023 7:00 AM  #4

I think I would do a early 90s ford taurus or something along those lines.   Something you can pick up at a parts store if needed right away.  

5/11/2023 1:07 PM  #5

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm personally not a fan of one wire alternators.  I'd rather have output based on system feedback than by simply reading what the alternator is putting out. 

No experience with either unit.  On Amazon I typically go by reviews, and there are none.  Personally I would avoid them. 

same company sells them on Ebay its where I got my other one 17 years ago it was only about $80.00 and free shipping back then it lasted till the wreck along with the red top optima battery I had on it was also 17 years old they were both tested a week or so before the wreck and were still going strong. I just was gonna go a head and go new with everything on the new car.. the Battery went up about another 100.00 bucks over what I paid for the first one.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/11/2023 1:10 PM)

5/11/2023 1:50 PM  #7

I used a 100 amp/ 1 wire/ GM delco 10si alternator on the 289.

I purchased it from Fleet Farm when I was in Wisconsin for work.

I had the B+ connected to the battery side of starter solenoid.
I ran an additional ground wire from alternator case to engine block.
My engine was grounded to the body.
The main battery negative cable attached to the engine block too.

I don’t understand how your “mechanic “ wired all 3 terminals from old 1G alternator to this.

BTW…mine wasn’t shiny like that.

Last edited by Nos681 (5/11/2023 1:51 PM)

5/11/2023 5:16 PM  #8

The one wire and three wire versions are Delco 10si or 12si alternators.   Wiring either one up is fairly simple.   I have Delco alternators on both my Galaxies, and was planning my convertible to have one too.  Anyways, pluses and minuses.  One wire you have to rev your engine to a certain rpm to get a one wire to self energize...not really a big deal just mentioning it.  - you don't get to have an idiot light.  Again not a big deal if you have a voltmeter.

Three wire.  You get an idiot light.   As you know, there are three terminals.  T1 T2  and the bat.  Battery is pretty obvious.  You run that wire to the battery side of the terminal with the proper in line fuse.   T2 could also go here.  Some diagrams show it a short wire right into the battery post on the alternator.  I do not like this.   This wires purpose is to sense voltage drop and energize the alternator to charge; theoretically the farther away its hooked to a positive the better.   Wire T1 is the wire that goes to the light on your dash.   To hook it to your year of Mustang, it needs to have a small resistor soldered in it which I did on my Gal right behind the dash.    Same for a 65 M.

I prefer the 3 wire.   If you Google Delco 10si alternator you can find all the different ways that both of these versions of alternators can be wired in.   

The plastic plug can be had at just about any parts store, or at least used to be able get them.   They are great little alternators.   I have always thought the 3g alternators were overkill for these old cars, unless you have a lot of modern electronics and fuel injection. 

My .02

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/11/2023 5:18 PM  #9

Do you need that chrome alternator to match your chrome thermostat housing....

5/11/2023 7:55 PM  #10

josh-kebob wrote:

No chrome thermostat housing on my car ......just the only way I seen these come for the price I was hoping to find one that looked like an original that as a one wire with more amps. The old one seemed to  last and do a good job Steve put me on them back then and I been using the same original type Thermostat housings from his advice too  he use to sell them when he owned Mustangsteve's I must confess I do have a Chrome oil pan on this engine though,

5/11/2023 8:08 PM  #11

Nos681 wrote:

I used a 100 amp/ 1 wire/ GM delco 10si alternator on the 289.

I purchased it from Fleet Farm when I was in Wisconsin for work.

I had the B+ connected to the battery side of starter solenoid.
I ran an additional ground wire from alternator case to engine block.
My engine was grounded to the body.
The main battery negative cable attached to the engine block too.

I don’t understand how your “mechanic “ wired all 3 terminals from old 1G alternator to this.

BTW…mine wasn’t shiny like that.

My car still had the 3 wire harness in place and this was the alternator off my wrecked car not sure what it even looks like on the back >>>> I aint messed with it in 17 years. May look just like the 3 wire.

5/12/2023 5:02 AM  #12

A 3G from a '95-'97 F350 with a 7.5 (460) is a small case with proper clocking for a classic conversion.  You would just need to swap pulleys.  On rock auto they start at $74 for a reman and you can get a 130 amp brand new AC Delco for $123.  As cast aluminum housing for a proper look.  IMO a better option than a GM swap.  Nothing against the 10/12SI, I have several on my Chevy vehicles, but to me its kind of like putting a SBC in a '32 Ford hot rod.  I'd rather keep my Ford a Ford so long as reliability isn't an issue.  I would consider a 3G as reliable as a 10/12SI. 

5/12/2023 6:28 AM  #13

Regarding the 100 vs. 140amp alternators, I wouldn’t think you need more than 100amps.  Unless you’ve got a big sound system, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc, etc., you shouldn’t need more than 100amp alternator (even if you have electric cooling fan, windows and door locks).

I installed a Delco 10si 3-wire alternator that puts out about 70 amps.  I got this from a local rebuilder and has been in use for over 12years.  I did have to change the internal voltage regulator a couple of years ago, which is an easy repair to perform.  I wanted the 3-wire so I could have an idiot light.

If there is a rebuilder near you, I suggest taking your alternator to them to have it checked out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/12/2023 6:39 AM  #14

You have to consider that high amp alternators might need a double v belt unless you have serpentine.
My 130 amp 3G did!

https://imgur.com/XmFgHCf

Last edited by Rudi (5/12/2023 6:42 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/12/2023 3:10 PM  #15

I looked on Summit Racing and found a 100 amp one wire on there that had good ratings I will probably grab one from there if I need one.

5/15/2023 11:23 AM  #16

Well I had my 2nd 3G from EBay " new remaned" alt take a dump. I used the PA Performance conversion kit with the cheap alternator.  Seams to be the cheap version of the built in regulator that fails. Anyway I bought a "new" one alt from PA Performance so I think my problem will finally go away. Short story on these first alt lasted a couple years then started flickering ALT light. Had a 2nd alt from same vender so I put it on and it lasted about 6 months, the regulator on the alt went out. Bought cheap regulator and it lasted 1 month. Put the old flickering regulator in and drove home. Time for new alt. I have a good solid ground wire on the alt too. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/16/2023 4:45 AM  #17

One thing I've learned is that just as there are cheap/junk and high quality parts for most anything electronics are no different.  The more expensive ones are probably more expensive because they are worth it. 

5/16/2023 3:34 PM  #18

Yes I agree to that, as we are about to find out.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/16/2023 6:31 PM  #19

Many times you pay extra for the brand name even though made by communists.

5/17/2023 4:57 AM  #20

Rudi wrote:

That, sadly, is also true.  I bought a Milodon water pump for the '89 GT thinking it would be a quality part, but noted that there was a GMB pump on Summit and the pictures looked identical.  I ended up ordering both so I could compare them.  The casting numbers, etc. were the same on both pumps.  The only difference was the Milodon one had an anti cavitation plate on the back of the impeller.  The Milodon pump is like $150, the GMB one is $85.  The only difference I could see was $0.50 worth of sheet steel, three tack welds, and the box they came in.  I simply added the plate to the GMB pump, put the Milodon one back in its expensive box, and sent it back.  I noticed the same thing with hydraulic roller lifters.  80 companies sell them, but it seems only 3 actually make them.  The prices however vary wildly. 

5/17/2023 5:10 AM  #21

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

That, sadly, is also true.  I bought a Milodon water pump for the '89 GT thinking it would be a quality part, but noted that there was a GMB pump on Summit and the pictures looked identical.  I ended up ordering both so I could compare them.  The casting numbers, etc. were the same on both pumps.  The only difference was the Milodon one had an anti cavitation plate on the back of the impeller.  The Milodon pump is like $150, the GMB one is $85.  The only difference I could see was $0.50 worth of sheet steel, three tack welds, and the box they came in.  I simply added the plate to the GMB pump, put the Milodon one back in its expensive box, and sent it back.  I noticed the same thing with hydraulic roller lifters.  80 companies sell them, but it seems only 3 actually make them.  The prices however vary wildly. 

The cheaper pump could have had a cheaper bearing installed.

5/17/2023 7:15 AM  #22

RTM wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Seems that no company can be trusted anymore.
Wait  till AI becomes mainstream, you won’t be able to tell what’s real or not.

5/17/2023 3:36 PM  #23

RTM wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I thought that too, and I didn't press them apart or anything, but I can tell you the one I could see on the front had the exact same markings on it from one pump to the other. 

5/17/2023 6:05 PM  #24

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10165/10002/-1

I ended up getting this one it has a cut in at 880 rpm and starts charging ...I will throw it on if my old one dont work it was ran on my old car 17 years and may be time for a new one so I got this got a back up

5/17/2023 6:19 PM  #25

josh-kebob wrote:

Maybe I can get some Alabamer chrome as sally would say....chrome paint or some duct tape.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.