FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2023 6:33 PM  #1

Installed MTF front frame stiffeners

I wasn’t going to add this bars because I didn’t think they would help much.  I got talked into it installing them, and I must say I’m pretty happy with them.  Didn’t take much work to install them.

5/15/2023 8:47 PM  #2

Re: Installed MTF front frame stiffeners

Tied into the roll cage  !?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/16/2023 3:37 AM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

Tied into the roll cage  !?
6sal6

No, I didn’t go that far.

5/16/2023 6:58 AM  #4

You have some seriously questionable welds on that conversion crossmember!  I would sure keep an eye on them.  Sorry.  Just concerned for your safety.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/16/2023 9:58 AM  #5

MS wrote:

You have some seriously questionable welds on that conversion crossmember!  I would sure keep an eye on them.  Sorry.  Just concerned for your safety.

I agree a couple are not perfect but I can promise you it’s not going anywhere. 

5/16/2023 12:32 PM  #6

Very nice!!

5/16/2023 3:49 PM  #7

More nice work!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/16/2023 3:51 PM  #8

More nice work!

5/16/2023 4:02 PM  #9

I can't say I like it.  I can't say I hate it.  My mind first thoughts are that that cowl metal is just not thick enough.  Then what I started wondering, was what if it could be tied to the top of the cowl in such a way say plates from the bars come through slots in the replacement shock tower sheet metal that a more traditional style of export type brace or even at least a Monte Carlo type set up of course bolt in, that triangulates and spreads the load somewhat?

Anyways, with serious mods like these, I wish the company Mustangs TF, would do a crash test or two.   I'm not sure we'd like the results.  I know no matter what they will never rival a new car, but I'm not sure in its current form it would rival stock.   I don't see accordian, I see folding in two.   

Just my thoughts.  Not trying to offend.   It has to be better than it was without them at all.   I guess my mind needs to see the shock load spread better than small points in sheet metal.

Like the work, though!  Very nice.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/16/2023 4:36 PM  #10

Weld beads are like "beauty.....it's in the eye of the beholder"...
I wouldn't be skeered to put-it-through-its-paces fer ye.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/16/2023 6:04 PM  #11

Greg_B I agree with you 100 percent.  I think the only saving grace is the added brace to the torque box.  Without it and it would be pretty much useless.  Like I had mentioned, I didn’t think I needed them and I wasn’t convinced they added much strength, but figured it was better than not having them.  The biggest question for most is would it be worth the cost? 

After installing them I’m actually glad I did.  I think they fit my build and as with most builds, we all see things differently and that’s s good thing.

I don’t think a crash test would be a fair indicator of wether these would be of benefit or not because each car could be built differently.  Mine had every convertible floor part you can add plus frame connectors.  Those parts alone would change things in a crash when they are used in a coupe or fastback body.

I’ve had a few ideas on how to improve it, but for now it will remain as is.  I’m happy with it just like it is.  It’s better than nothing but isn’t the most optional way to apply this mod.  We all have to draw the line on how far we take our builds. 

I love this site!!!!

5/16/2023 6:21 PM  #12

The thing that bothers me with these connectors and others as well is that they are straight  cut..
Going back to my welded tubing exp. aircraft construction days I would like to see more fish mouth type joints where more inches of weld can be laid down at the joints.
I guess that if it don’t fly it don’t matter.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/17/2023 2:57 PM  #13

Like all of us....."hope ya never get into a bad crash!" 
Can't decide which is worse(er)..(Thx  Alabama skoolz)....
bounce around like a rock in a tin can OR
have the tin can crush all around ya !?!

5/17/2023 3:40 PM  #14

After thinking it over in my pea brain for a day, the way I think I'd want to improve it is  run a curved square stock along the entire top of the cowl under the lip with more stock running down the outer edge of the lip that connects the side panels to your flat plate, the a flat bar across the angled part of the torque box that also connects to your flat plate THEN tie those bars to that.   That wouldn't make too much in the way in the engine compartment. 

Just thinking outloud.   Btw.  IF I ever get back on my convertible, I am going to try to run some angled bars on the underside from the engine cross member to the framerail, similar to the bars on a 66 t Bird.     But I'm thinking of finally just giving up and letting go of it all as most days I don't walk too good anymore.   Things and life have just kicked my arse...

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/18/2023 6:51 AM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

Can't decide which is worse(er)..(Thx Alabama skoolz)....

Yep, totally agree.

5/18/2023 7:33 AM  #16

Good work!

5/18/2023 2:18 PM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

Can't decide which is worse(er)..(Thx Alabama skoolz)....

Its no fun playing Bumper cars with 18 wheelers...Been there done there done that RIP POR-15

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/18/2023 2:26 PM  #18

Not sure how notching the tubing would improve much of anything and the only place to cut a notch would be on the passenger side and even if you did that I think given it’s current design the addition of the plates on the firewall is the best option.

I pray none of us ever get in a wreck of any kind.  I know Billy just went through a crash.  A glad it was only the car that got beat up. 

I 100% agree on the square tubing under the firewall lip.  Like I said, had this been thought out before I had gotten this far I would have done that and wrapped support around the outer part of the firewall to the door posts.  Again, how far do we take it.  We could keep improving on the overall strength and end up with a full blown roll cage.  Lol

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.