FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2023 8:59 AM  #1

Fox body armrests in early Mustangs

Years ago (early 2000's I think) I found a website where someone had retrofitted the door armrests from a Fox Mustang into their early model and it looked pretty good to me, so I thought I'd do the same thing to my '68 - especially since I'm going to install power windows & locks. I've been scouring the 'net looking for any hint of that site, or pictures of the car, or anything really, but have come up blank. It shouldn't be too hard to figure it out, but I thought I'd like to at least give credit for the idea to whoever it was that originally posted that mod, so if anyone can tell me who that was, or even better what the old website was, that would be great.

Fox Mustangs are getting hard to find anymore, but I got lucky and found a '93 convertible in one of my local boneyards and grabbed the armrests, along with the power window (4 windows) and power door lock switches, and will be installing them on my car - don't worry, I'll do a full write-up with pictures when I get to that stage.

5/16/2023 9:51 AM  #2

Re: Fox body armrests in early Mustangs

I would like to see how that looks.  I agree it shouldn’t be to hard to install them unless one of the mounting points lands on top of bolt or something.

5/16/2023 12:29 PM  #3

That might have been mine at rosehillperformanceparts.com under the tech section.  Don't know if you have sourced parts, but I changing my setup and have those arm rest up for garage points.  LMK.

5/16/2023 1:12 PM  #4

Glens 1965 50 wrote:

That might have been mine at rosehillperformanceparts.com under the tech section.  Don't know if you have sourced parts, but I changing my setup and have those arm rest up for garage points.  LMK.

Thanks Glen, that was definitely your mod that I saw back then. I don't know how I missed that - I've had your site bookmarked since way back then.

When I first saw your article, I wasn't prioritizing interior parts because the Fox Mustangs were plentiful back then, and my build was a long way from worrying about anything on the interior. I got lucky a few weeks ago and found a set from a '93 convertible and grabbed them. They're not the right color, but I'm pretty sure I can paint/dye the hard parts and just buy new upper pads in the right color.

I thought about grabbing the mirrors as well, but they looked too chunky for my taste. Instead, I'm going to use a set of power mirrors from an early '80's RX-7 and wire them into the Fox mirror switch, based on a mod I found on another forum here

5/19/2023 6:59 PM  #5

Cara’s 65 coupe also had the foxbody armrests and power switches in it, posted on the MustangSteve website (after Glen did it to his)
Unfortunate the interesting articles have all been deleted from the site.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/24/2023 11:50 AM  #6

MS wrote:

Cara’s 65 coupe also had the foxbody armrests and power switches in it, posted on the MustangSteve website (after Glen did it to his)
Unfortunate the interesting articles have all been deleted from the site.

That's the problem I'm running into after putting this project aside for 15 years, a lot of the "old" sites (including the "old" forum) have disappeared into the mists of history, and I'm having trouble remembering all of the mods I had planned to do back then. Fortunately, I did save some specific webpages, but I wasn't very intentional about it. The Internet archive is great for some of these sites, but it's not perfect and doesn't get everything. Ultrastang.com comes to mind.

5/24/2023 1:10 PM  #7

As I recall, the foxbody armrests only go in one place, so you can’t mess up.  The upper part of the handle covers where the window crank would normally be, as I recall.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/25/2023 6:54 AM  #8

MS wrote:

As I recall, the foxbody armrests only go in one place, so you can’t mess up. The upper part of the handle covers where the window crank would normally be, as I recall.

I had considered this mod and remember seeing pictures of the installation, evidently I didn't save them.  However, my memory is that the armrests fit as MS indicates. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.