FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2023 5:23 PM  #1

Fiberglass snug fit bumper install

Since my other post is closed I guess I’ll start a different post for the rear bumper.  I finished the bodywork to get a nice snug fit look.  I still need to bond the bumper to the factory brackets.  The studs that came on the bumper weren’t event close enough to mount the bumper to the factory holes in the body.

I’m pretty pleased with the bumper.  The Mairer hood and deck lid took a lot more work to get those items to fit and look right. 

5/21/2023 6:50 PM  #2

Re: Fiberglass snug fit bumper install

Looking good!

5/21/2023 8:18 PM  #3

Looks real  good Bob, Will the final color be Red or Black?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

5/22/2023 3:29 AM  #4

Quicksilver wrote:

Looks real  good Bob, Will the final color be Red or Black?

I have decided on the bumper color yet.  It’s a tough call, I’m not sure which way to go.  Lol

5/22/2023 4:31 AM  #5

My vote would be a brushed aluminum look reminiscent of the Thunderbolts and Hemi Darts. 

5/22/2023 6:42 AM  #6

More nice work! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/22/2023 6:44 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

My vote would be a brushed aluminum look reminiscent of the Thunderbolts and Hemi Darts. 

Never thought about that.  Not sure how it would look/fit my build but worth looking into.  I’m sure I would have to explain the look to a lot of people.  Lol

5/22/2023 7:06 AM  #8

Just another idea, I had my quarter extensions blended in 

5/22/2023 10:10 AM  #9

Jim Bowie wrote:

Just another idea, I had my quarter extensions blended in 

I debated that mid as well.  I decided not to and mostly because the extensions are fiberglass and the body being steel.

5/22/2023 10:45 AM  #10

Its been going on 15 years now with no issue, about 3 years ago if you look at certain angle you can make out a slight line where they meet but you really have to look hard.

5/22/2023 11:56 AM  #11

Jim Bowie wrote:

Its been going on 15 years now with no issue, about 3 years ago if you look at certain angle you can make out a slight line where they meet but you really have to look hard.

That’s good to know.

5/22/2023 2:44 PM  #12

Jim Bowie wrote:

My looking hard days are long gone!🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/22/2023 7:01 PM  #13

I sanded and primered and painted my front bumper...........(it was rusty and I'm cheap!)
I painted it body color AND maroon/)redish) Shelby stripes. 'The look' turned out pretty durn good.

The polished Alum look would look cool to guyz that remember the Thunderbolts & Mopars butt.....
to the un-washed/unknowing/mouth-breatherz that come to shows...not so much....
Wayyy EZ'er to just paint it body color and save your breath. IMHO
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/23/2023 3:40 PM  #14

I am leaning toward the body color and more so because the racing front apron is the body color with no bumper.  I'm thinking the flow of the car may look good with the rear bumper on body color.  But like everything else I am always getting pulled in two or more directions.  lol

I was hoping to bond the bumper to the brackets tonight but man is it hot and muggy out there today.  Plus my back is still very unhappy with me right now.

5/29/2023 4:51 AM  #15

Not much progress since my back went out on me last week.  I did get the bumper brackets bonded to the bumper.   Think I will add studs to the brackets.  Should make mounting it a little easier. 

5/29/2023 6:46 AM  #16

Hoping your back gets better and you can continue work soon.  

5/29/2023 9:40 AM  #17

BobE wrote:

Hoping your back gets better and you can continue work soon.  

Thanks Bob.  I’m far better than I was this past Wednesday.  I’ve been dressed to go outside and work but cant stop watching Legends and Lies, The Patriots.   

I did order more 3M 8115.  I ran out out and think I could use a little more around the brackets on the bumpers.   I’ve also been shopping for a wall mount masking paper holder, not cheap.

5/30/2023 6:35 AM  #18

Gapped the rear bumper where it meets the quarter panel.   Probably had that bumper on and off 15 times.   I also worked on two more pieces.  These three pieces are the last of the body parts that need to be sprayed in high build primer.  Happy to discover the piece between the headlights must have been an NOS part.  Under the blue paint and dirt was red oxide primer.  Not much progress but it’s better than nothing. 

5/30/2023 12:29 PM  #19

Small steps are better than no steps!  (Also helps not getting frustrated over the lack of progress being made) 

5/31/2023 2:53 PM  #20

BobE wrote:

Small steps are better than no steps!  (Also helps not getting frustrated over the lack of progress being made) 

You couldn’t be more right!!!

6/03/2023 8:03 PM  #21

Was able to spray the last few parts that needed to be done.  Epoxy primer then high build primer.   Had a few pin holes so the primer was brushed on prior to spraying to fill the pin holes. 

Tomorrow I hope I to start block sanding the body.  I’m on-call the next two weekends for work so I won’t be able to paint.  Maybe I can spray the last of the small parts while I’m on-call but won’t be able to spray the shell. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.