FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2023 6:35 PM  #1

Full roller rocker arms

What full roller rocker arms are y’all using nowadays?

Quality issues?

6/30/2023 8:31 PM  #2

Re: Full roller rocker arms

I use Comp Cams chromoly. Never had any issues using them in several engines.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/01/2023 5:12 AM  #3

The Crane Energizers (may not be called that anymore).  These were OEM on the '93-'95 Cobras.  I figure if they are good enough for an OEM application they are good enough for me.  My buddy has a '95 Cobra that has over 200k miles on a set and they are still fine.  I think in this point they've been in 3 different engines.  During each build they've been inspected and tested and always checked out fine. 

7/01/2023 6:01 AM  #4

Comp Cams #17043-16, 1.6 ratio.
I was advised to stay away from "Pro Comp" products, in general.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/01/2023 5:53 PM  #5

I have the roller TIPS ............ butt-knot the roller fulcrums.
That way....I can brag with the rest of 'um....."Yep.......got a big cam and 'roller rockers' !"..and Knot-Bee fibb'in .....
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/01/2023 6:46 PM  #6

BobE wrote:

Comp Cams #17043-16, 1.6 ratio.
I was advised to stay away from "Pro Comp" products, in general.

Just want to remind everyone pro comp changed their name to speed master  a while back.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

7/06/2023 8:58 PM  #7

TKO…what type of valve covers were used with those rocker arms?

7/06/2023 10:38 PM  #8

I gots Magnum roller tips in my 331. A real solid rocker made from 8620 chromolly steel.
Colour me old school but I never liked the idea of hundreds of little needle bearings running around in aluminum full roller rockers.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/06/2023 10:50 PM  #9

6sally6 wrote:

I have the roller TIPS ............ butt-knot the roller fulcrums.
That way....I can brag with the rest of 'um....."Yep.......got a big cam and 'roller rockers' !"..and Knot-Bee fibb'in .....
6sal6

I am running roller tipped rockers. I believe they are the  Comp Cams ones.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/07/2023 5:44 AM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

Dan, the Cobra Crane rockers were 1.7 ratio.
The covers on the 94/95 Cobra, look very similar to the GT,  but feel noticeably heavier, as if they have some sort of sound deadener in the top.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

7/07/2023 9:22 AM  #11

Nos681 wrote:

I used a set of SVE valve covers from LMR.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-6582B/1986-1993-mustang-polished-aluminum-valve-covers

I didn't want polished and the finish was terrible anyway so I block sander the tops until they were flat, blasted the rest and painted them black.  A factory oil fill cap works so I used that instead of the one they came with.  There was a clearance issue on one of the polylocks and the baffle I simply made a baffle that cleared and installed it with machine screws (factory hardware was junk too so I used better stuff) which I drilled an safety wired. 

7/07/2023 9:25 AM  #12

50vert wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Dan, the Cobra Crane rockers were 1.7 ratio.
The covers on the 94/95 Cobra, look very similar to the GT, but feel noticeably heavier, as if they have some sort of sound deadener in the top.

That is correct however I did not use 1.7s; I used 1.6s in the same product line.  The 1.7s are fine if you want a little more cam (why ford used them), but given the choice I'd rather get the proper cam and save stress on the valverain by using the stock ratio. 

I never compared the valve covers side by side.  My buddy has a '95 Cobra.  I'll have to take a look next time I'm up at his place. 

7/07/2023 10:50 AM  #13

T & D Shaft mount.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.