FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2023 8:03 AM  #1

New Ford Mustang GT With 800 HP and a Warranty

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/02/2023 8:15 AM  #2

Re: New Ford Mustang GT With 800 HP and a Warranty

Oh man! Think of the trouble you could get into with that brute.😱

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/02/2023 8:16 AM  #3

I wish I could afford to buy something like that.

11/02/2023 4:56 PM  #4

When one can not self regulate, outside forces eventually have to step in...
This trend we see of bigger and bigger HP engines seems boundless.  Does anyone else expect to eventually hear regulations put in place to limit personal vehicle power?  And if they do this, who else expects the limits to be more extreme than we would want?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/03/2023 6:29 AM  #5

All that's great, but anything over 500-550HP on the street isn't usable.  To me its just a bragging rights thing.  The traction control, etc. won't allow full power to avoid roasting the tires to no end.  At some point if you want to go faster its about traction, not power.  This is why all the exotics have gone to AWD.  Once they reached the 3.5 second range 0-60 there was no way to get any faster without it because a RWD car just couldn't get off the line fast enough.  I don't see the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger going to AWD, but who knows?  I didn't see them building that abortion they currently call a Corvette either. 

My guess is these engines will be available used in pretty short order as a bunch of fools with more money than sense start wrapping them around trees and telephone poles.  Look at how many Hellcat engines were obtained this way.  Not that that's anything new. 

I don't see there being any limits imposed.  If there were the OEMs would just go back to what they did in the '60s: LIE.  Currently in Japan there is what's known as "The Gentleman's Agreement" among domestic automakers.  No vehicle they sell will be advertised as making more than 276HP.  This dates back to 1988, and there have been many 400+HP cars built since then, yet all advertised as making 276HP. 

11/05/2023 7:57 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

All that's great, but anything over 500-550HP on the street isn't usable.  To me its just a bragging rights thing.  The traction control, etc. won't allow full power to avoid roasting the tires to no end.  At some point if you want to go faster its about traction, not power.  This is why all the exotics have gone to AWD.  Once they reached the 3.5 second range 0-60 there was no way to get any faster without it because a RWD car just couldn't get off the line fast enough.  I don't see the Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger going to AWD, but who knows?  I didn't see them building that abortion they currently call a Corvette either. 

My guess is these engines will be available used in pretty short order as a bunch of fools with more money than sense start wrapping them around trees and telephone poles.  Look at how many Hellcat engines were obtained this way.  Not that that's anything new. 

I don't see there being any limits imposed.  If there were the OEMs would just go back to what they did in the '60s: LIE.  Currently in Japan there is what's known as "The Gentleman's Agreement" among domestic automakers.  No vehicle they sell will be advertised as making more than 276HP.  This dates back to 1988, and there have been many 400+HP cars built since then, yet all advertised as making 276HP. 

TKO - I totally agree, most drivers can't handle that kind of power and end up crashing it, or scaring themselves to a point that they never get on it again, and end up selling it. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/05/2023 11:07 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

It is fascinating that they chose such a specific number like 276.  I wonder why.

It has been long observed that when someone is trying to make BS sound more legitimate with percentages they usually choose a specific number like "97%" instead of a more rounded sounding number like "95%".

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/05/2023 11:15 AM  #8

BobE wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

TKO - I totally agree, most drivers can't handle that kind of power and end up crashing it, or scaring themselves to a point that they never get on it again, and end up selling it. 

That’s exactly what happened to a guy I know. He bought a new 2003 Terminator and it scared the crap out of him and sold it after about six months.
A lot of drivers regard the gas pedal as an on/ off switch and have no idea what throttle modulation is about.

11/05/2023 5:34 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

That’s exactly what happened to a guy I know. He bought a new 2003 Terminator and it scared the crap out of him and sold it after about six months.
A lot of drivers regard the gas pedal as an on/ off switch and have no idea what throttle modulation is about.

I used'ta think I was a pretty good driver/rider till I took up snowmobiling ... until you learn proper throttle control, you'll spend most of your time digging yourself outta the deep powder.
I don't have'ta dig anywhere near as much now. 

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/05/2023 8:12 PM  #10

50vert wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I used'ta think I was a pretty good driver/rider till I took up snowmobiling ... until you learn proper throttle control, you'll spend most of your time digging yourself outta the deep powder.

Very true Barry, most motorsports  require that skill. I learned that riding motorcycles in  observed triials and muddy cross country enduros.
Riding up and down slippery muddy wet rocks require throttle application with almost surgical precision.
The same hold true for braking.

11/06/2023 6:13 AM  #11

Rudi wrote:

50vert wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Very true Barry, most motorsports require that skill. I learned that riding motorcycles in observed triials and muddy cross country enduros.
Riding up and down slippery muddy wet rocks require throttle application with almost surgical precision.
The same hold true for braking.

Oh definitely.  We grew up riding dirt bikes and four wheelers and then running cheap beater 4x4s through the same trails.  You learn a lot doing all that.  I've often said that the way they teach driving in this country is completely wrong.  They teach people how to drive in nice sunny conditions and think they'll be fine.  By contrast if you learn to fly most of your time is spent learning what to do when things go wrong.  If they taught people to drive like that the number of wrecks each year would plummet. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.