FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2023 4:06 PM  #1

Finished spraying the mustang.

Today I got the last of the parts sprayed with the 3 and 4th coats of clear.  Sanded everything down after the first two coats and resprayed it all.  I posted about painting the stripes or decals.  Now I’m looking at the mustang and thinking of no stripes but I know my son will want them. 

Tomorrow I’ll start bolting the front suspension on and all the brake parts so I can start making lines. I also need to start ordering all the little stuff and have it all in order so I can keep moving forward with the project.  I do need to spray the dash black, the inside of the doors and the engine bay.  I’ll start on all of that after I get the brake lines made. 

paste picture on picture online

11/18/2023 5:02 PM  #2

Re: Finished spraying the mustang.

WOW !! Its almost Red !
About the doors.....I made a couple of larger drain holes in the bottom of mine, since the rain and water pass through the door/window.
Gonna be a 'nice-ride' when complete (are they ever complete?)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/18/2023 7:16 PM  #3

Beautimus

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/18/2023 7:45 PM  #4

I didn’t make any drain holes bigger but my practice has always been to take left over epoxy primer and poor it into the doors, quarter panels, fenders and any other hard to reach spot.  Catch the excess dripping out and pour it somewhere else.  So I’m pretty confident in it not rusting at any seams ever again. 

My finger tips are raw again from wet sanding today. I did get a bug in the clear on the deckled.  He must have landed in it after my final spray.  But that’s what I get spraying in a garage.  The sad thing is it all needs sanding again then buffed. Paint work is a lot of work!!!

The wheel bearing for my truck showed up today so I’ll have to spend some time working on it tomorrow.  My plan is still to get the front suspension mounted and brake parts so I can make my brake lines.

11/19/2023 7:23 AM  #5

Looks great!

11/19/2023 8:50 AM  #6

My trick for keeping bugs out is to sand the first clearcoat with 400.  Then spray a cost just thick enough to give it a shiny appearance and walk away. It dries so fast the bugs don’t get much time to land and, if they do, the damage is not deep enough where it won’t easily sand out.
I used to pile on the clear until the gun was empty and that is when I got alot of bugs trapped like a million  year old mosquito trapped in amber.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2023 9:41 AM  #7

MS wrote:

My trick for keeping bugs out is to sand the first clearcoat with 400.  Then spray a cost just thick enough to give it a shiny appearance and walk away. It dries so fast the bugs don’t get much time to land and, if they do, the damage is not deep enough where it won’t easily sand out.
I used to pile on the clear until the gun was empty and that is when I got alot of bugs trapped like a million  year old mosquito trapped in amber.

Last parts I sprayed I thought the bugs were from spraying later in the day.  Yesterday I was spraying much earlier and still got three small black bugs.   I was able to put tape on my finger and get two out.   But the third one got into the fresh second coat of clear.  It’s were the stripes will go, if it doesn’t sand out.

11/19/2023 9:42 AM  #8

Just putting parts on to keep them safe so I can work on the brake lines. 

hands emoticons

11/19/2023 11:16 AM  #9

Outstanding work and result.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/19/2023 4:38 PM  #10

Looks super nice RTM!

11/20/2023 1:00 PM  #11

Nice!

11/20/2023 1:06 PM  #12

I'll have to say that "Pull Me Over" red looks fantastic! Nice job!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/20/2023 1:52 PM  #13

Thanks everyone.   I’ve gotten a second wind to get going again.  Been adding items to my NPD cart all day at work.   Order a couple of other needed brake system pieces on Amazon and ordered the Second Skin products as well. 

Spent my weekend on the mustang and yard work and never got the new wheel bearing installed on my truck.   Lol

11/20/2023 2:56 PM  #14

Looks really nice!

Nothing worse than a beetle in your clearcoat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vpQ5dAHLZU

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/20/2023 6:59 PM  #15

Greg B wrote:

Looks really nice!

Nothing worse than a beetle in your clearcoat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vpQ5dAHLZU

Because violating your right off way once was not enough.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/21/2023 5:34 AM  #16

Hopefully that isn’t “Resell red”…‘cause that would be a quick sale. 😁

11/21/2023 8:19 AM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

Hopefully that isn’t “Resell red”…‘cause that would be a quick sale. 😁

Looks more like "Arrest me Red".

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

11/21/2023 9:01 AM  #18

Very nice, continued good luck with the build.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/21/2023 10:12 AM  #19

Yes, Good luck with the build.  The paint looks Great!

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

11/24/2023 9:21 AM  #20

Looking good. Now comes the tedious task of assembling with an extreme amount of fear of hurting the paint!! Or at least it was on my part.

Suggestion, make a small scratch somewhere it’s not visible so the first one is out of the way!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/24/2023 12:13 PM  #21

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Looking good. Now comes the tedious task of assembling with an extreme amount of fear of hurting the paint!! Or at least it was on my part.

Suggestion, make a small scratch somewhere it’s not visible so the first one is out of the way!!

One of the reasons I picked a solid color, it’s easier to touch up.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.