FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2023 3:42 PM  #1

Hydroboost Instillation in my 65 Mustang

I installed a hydroboost system in 2018 and am quite pleased with the installation.  It was "tight" getting everything to fit on the firewall as I also have hydraulic clutch.  I bought a unit from “Sweeting Performance”, this unit came with an adjustable pedal pushrod for a 65-66 Mustang.  However, it was too long and I had to modify it myself.  (If I could go back and do it over again, I’d use "Hydrotech Braking Systems", based in Tennessee, they have kits and they were very helpful with technical questions.)
I mated the hydroboost to an MC for a 95-97 Explorer (1.0625” bore), Raybestos #MC390269. 
I had to change to an offset master cylinder kit for the clutch, available from "Modern Driveline".
I already had a Borgeson PS pump for the R&P steering from the conversion to a MII R&C front end.  Installation of the hoses is as follows: hi-pressure from the pump goes to the hydroboost unit, there is a hi-pressure outlet on the hydroboost that is routed to the R&P steering, the return lines from both the R&P and the hydroboost are ‘teed’ together and returned to the pump.

Installed adapter for offset clutch MC; pugged hole is for OEM clutch pedal rod.

Complete installation area is quite tight and congested.  I had to use 12-point AFR bolts for the hydroboost to firewall bolts to allow a tool to gain access to tighten these bolts; and had modify a few tools to fit into the tight spaces. 

The area for these lines is quite congested, and difficult to identify in this photograph.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/22/2023 6:36 AM  #2

Re: Hydroboost Instillation in my 65 Mustang

Nice!  When I upgrade my brakes this is on my list of things to do.  My Diesel F250 has hydroboost and I've always liked the assist on that truck.  I also have a 1 year newer gas F250 with traditional vacuum boost and its fine, but I definitely prefer the hydroboost. 

11/22/2023 7:39 AM  #3

I really like the performance of the hydro, but just can’t get around all the plumbing stuff everywhere.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/22/2023 8:26 AM  #4

MS wrote:

I really like the performance of the hydro, but just can’t get around all the plumbing stuff everywhere.

My thoughts exactly. Way too many failure points. Although, like TKO said, I do like the hydro on my f-250

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

11/22/2023 8:49 AM  #5

I've not had any brake issues on my manual brake easy peasy system. Keep it simple señor, if it ain't broke.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/22/2023 4:40 PM  #6

RV6 wrote:

MS wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Way too many failure points. Although, like TKO said, I do like the hydro on my f-250

300k miles no issues with my F250.  The boosters are basically bulletproof, you're running a PS pump anyway, so the only real issue is a couple more lines.  So long as the lines are well made and properly routed it should be the same non issue it is on my truck.  Getting rid of that vacuum booster opens up a lot of options performance wise too.  I was never really all that impressed with vacuum assist either.  Just my $0.02

11/23/2023 8:25 AM  #7

I looked into hydrotech but decided to follow through with installing the 03 cobra system.  One I want to see if I can make it work.  If not I’ll either go to hydrotech or manual.   I have considered manual brakes but I think that’s just because I’m getting anxious to get the mustang done.

11/23/2023 2:12 PM  #8

The MustangSteve pb-2 parts should be everything needed to mount the booster, if it will physically fit.
Looking forward to seeing your results.

11/24/2023 7:38 AM  #9

RTM wrote:

I looked into hydrotech but decided to follow through with installing the 03 cobra system. One I want to see if I can make it work. If not I’ll either go to hydrotech or manual. I have considered manual brakes but I think that’s just because I’m getting anxious to get the mustang done.

My original 4-wheel disc brake setup included a manual "94/95 Cobra SVT" MC (15/16" bore); brake pedal pressure was a little high but I felt it was manageable.  However, as I'm getting older I thought it would be good idea to go to a power brake setup.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/24/2023 12:14 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

RTM wrote:

I looked into hydrotech but decided to follow through with installing the 03 cobra system. One I want to see if I can make it work. If not I’ll either go to hydrotech or manual. I have considered manual brakes but I think that’s just because I’m getting anxious to get the mustang done.

My original 4-wheel disc brake setup included a manual "94/95 Cobra SVT" MC (15/16" bore); brake pedal pressure was a little high but I felt it was manageable.  However, as I'm getting older I thought it would be good idea to go to a power brake setup.  

Before going to the dark side I'd try a one inch bore master cylinder. I use a one inch which is plenty easy to push.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/24/2023 12:17 PM  #11

MS wrote:

The MustangSteve pb-2 parts should be everything needed to mount the booster, if it will physically fit.
Looking forward to seeing your results.

I bought the kit but sadly only needed the pin from the kit.  I had to lower the Hydroboost by I think it was 5/8 to get the correct pedal ratio.  I made my own firewall plate. 

Drivability is something I gave a lot of thought to and the wife needs to be able to drive it.   So the HB and PS is kind of a must.  And I’m not getting a younger.  Lol

12/06/2023 2:20 PM  #12

What was the final pedal ratio?  How does pedal feel?

12/07/2023 2:29 AM  #13

I used a electric  vacumm pump from Leed Brake and Mustang Steves conversion on my 65 and it works great. Got tomuch cam in that there 289

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

12/07/2023 6:09 AM  #14

Cab4word67 wrote:

I used a electric  vacumm pump from Leed Brake and Mustang Steves conversion on my 65 and it works great. Got tomuch cam in that there 289

Curious what Mike thinks about that

12/07/2023 7:44 AM  #15

MS wrote:

What was the final pedal ratio?  How does pedal feel?

Not sure if you’re asking me but if so I’m several months away from knowing how it feels.

12/07/2023 8:11 AM  #16

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

I've not had any brake issues on my manual brake easy peasy system. Keep it simple señor, if it ain't broke.

I was just thinking the same.  These cars are not too heavy for manual brakes.  It is easy to find threads on VMF where folks that installed power brakes later reverted back to manual brakes.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/07/2023 2:34 PM  #17

Stopping or slowing a car with manual brakes is no big deal as long as the system is properly designed.  The main benefit of power brakes, and why I will always have them on my cars, is that when in slow traffic or sitting still, a light pressure is all that is required to keep the car from rolling.
It is purely a convenience thing, not a performance thing.
Those who choose to convert to manual after having power brakes do so because they have a power system that is not functioning properly.
If you look at all the various power brake systems available for 65-66 Mustangs, there is only one that has a better-than-factory ratio that works with a modern booster.  The ones that do not have a revised pedal ratio may make the pedal easier to push, but do not give a modern car feel to the brake pedal.

12/07/2023 11:01 PM  #18

I have to say I've never thought about the brake pedal when in heavy traffic with a manual transmission.  And the only time a manual transmission ever bothered me was one time in nearly paralyzed beach traffic riding my 2005 Harley (either in 2005 or 2006 I'm not sure which).  Soon after that ride I installed a device that really reduced the effort needed to pull in the clutch lever.  It took days for the soreness to leave my left hand after that ride.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/08/2023 6:02 AM  #19

I did go over to the dark side for a few months back in spring of 2022 while testing a speed density ECM.

I used the brake booster line on the MAP sensor.

With the MustangSteve power brake booster disconnected, pedal effort increased as usual.

Brake performance remained the same, just required more effort.

At least I know what to expect if I loose vacuum or install a Sally approved camshaft.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.