FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2024 8:50 AM  #1

Inside a torque converter

Figure this may be helpful for those with auto magic transmissions.

I like learning about stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/KKh5B_6Mza8?si=Be970HVnaR7VPHyf

3/05/2024 11:05 AM  #2

Re: Inside a torque converter

Hmmmmmmmmm...soooo IF I wanted a higher stall out of my converter....I need a single and restrictive exhaust system ?!!

J/K !  That was interesting fer shore.....
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/05/2024 11:13 AM  #3

As a kid I remember even guys I considered pretty mechanically inclined who regarded automatics as if they had alien technology in them straight from the Roswell crash site.  I started thinking, there are huge, national chains of transmission shops where guys who definitely don't have black site security clearance rebuilt these things day in and day out.  It can't be that bad.  In the early 2000's I cracked my first one open to do more than install a shift kit.  Decidedly underwhelming.  All the trickery was in the valve body.  The rest was a couple sets of wet clutches like a motorcycle, a couple sets of planetary gears, some pistons, springs, seals, a band like an old go kart brake, and bearings/bushings.  Modern transmissions don't even really have much of a valve body; they rely on solenoids to do the shifting.  They just have more of the other stuff.  I've successfully rebuilt a couple autos with only one special tool I had to buy and one other I made.  Its neat to know how they work, but IMO if you can rebuild an engine you can rebuild an auto. 

3/05/2024 12:48 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

As a kid I remember even guys I considered pretty mechanically inclined who regarded automatics as if they had alien technology in them straight from the Roswell crash site.  I started thinking, there are huge, national chains of transmission shops where guys who definitely don't have black site security clearance rebuilt these things day in and day out.  It can't be that bad.  In the early 2000's I cracked my first one open to do more than install a shift kit.  Decidedly underwhelming.  All the trickery was in the valve body.  The rest was a couple sets of wet clutches like a motorcycle, a couple sets of planetary gears, some pistons, springs, seals, a band like an old go kart brake, and bearings/bushings.  Modern transmissions don't even really have much of a valve body; they rely on solenoids to do the shifting.  They just have more of the other stuff.  I've successfully rebuilt a couple autos with only one special tool I had to buy and one other I made.  Its neat to know how they work, but IMO if you can rebuild an engine you can rebuild an auto. 

I agree. I rebuilt the C4 that I ran in my 68 behind the 351W for about 15 years. I then rebuilt and installed the 4R70W that is behind it today. Luckily I haven't had any problems with either transmission. With the proper rebuild manual, proper rebuild kit, and tools (thanks for the loan of the holding fixture and a couple of special tools Bullet Bob!) it wasn't all that hard to do. Just take your time, keep everything clean and you can do it. Wiring in the electronic control box and throttle position sensor on the carburetor was more challenging that the insides of the gearbox.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/05/2024 3:01 PM  #5

The thing I think a lot of folks don't understand is that, yes, there are a lot of parts in an auto, BUT you don't take the whole thing apart all at once.  They break down into a couple subassemblies.  If you rebuild one subassembly at a time, and then reassemble them you are probably never dealing with more than a 20 or so parts at any one time. 

3/05/2024 7:27 PM  #6

I've watched many of the videos from this transmission rebuilder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNzv9tXpsw

Last edited by KeithP (3/05/2024 7:46 PM)

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/06/2024 12:38 AM  #7

KeithP wrote:

I've watched many of the videos from this transmission rebuilder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNzv9tXpsw

Ya, he's good, I enjoy watching his videos.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/07/2024 8:37 AM  #8

Yep, the workings of automatic transmissions are still pretty much mystery to me as TKO described in his post.  I just haven't had the opportunity (or maybe brave enough) to take one apart, or rebuild one. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/07/2024 10:55 AM  #9

If I can rebuild an automatic tranny, anyone can. Like Ron said, keep it operating room clean, take your time, and I'll add keep each sub assembly separate. When Gaba (where the heck is he?) who was a rookie Mustang guy at the time rebuilt his aod, I figured I had nothing to lose tearing into mine.

3/07/2024 4:51 PM  #10

I go back to the fact that most of the guys who do them for a living probably aren't as sharp as the guys on this forum.  Oh, and there's help here too!

3/08/2024 10:50 AM  #11

LIke TKO, I did my first auto-box (an AOD) in early the early 00"s and was amazed at the relative simplicity.  Just keep in mind that cleanliness is WAY more important (in transmissions) than Godliness, follow the instructions, and they are pretty easy to rebuild.  I even made my own clutch spring compressors and other tools which a couple of other guys on here have used.
Two years ago I rebuilt a 4R70W and stuffed in in the Heap to replace the AOD.  Other issues convinced me to go back to the AOD but a month ago I re-swapped to the 4R with a Bauman controller and am very happy. 
Will post a pic of my "stock" 66 shifter set up for the 4R70W if I can figure out how to make pix post again.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/08/2024 10:55 AM  #12

In nearly 40K miles, the AOD has only one problem.  I did not get the...yes, it's really called this...Anti-clunk spring properly installed.  So the center support in the case clunks...sometimes badlly.
Figured it out with the 4R70W and it silent.  Some day, if I decide to part with the AOD, I'll open it up and fix that spring.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/08/2024 11:00 AM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Two years ago I rebuilt a 4R70W and stuffed in in the Heap to replace the AOD.........a month ago I re-swapped to the 4R with a Bauman controller and am very happy. 
Will post a pic of my "stock" 66 shifter set up for the 4R70W if I can figure out how to make pix post again.

BB1

Hey Bullet did jew "adjust" the shift points with the guv'nuh OR.....is it ALL controlled with a computer
 .My old 4L-60 /700R in the parts chaser has a guv'nuh that hot rodderz can fiddle with and change the RPM the tranny (NOT California tranny!)...shifts at.
Ax'en for a friend..
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/08/2024 2:12 PM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

In nearly 40K miles, the AOD has only one problem.  I did not get the...yes, it's really called this...Anti-clunk spring properly installed.  So the center support in the case clunks...sometimes badlly.
Figured it out with the 4R70W and it silent.  Some day, if I decide to part with the AOD, I'll open it up and fix that spring.

BB

I had a time with that anti clunk spring during my rebuild on the  4R70W. The old spring was a coiled steel one that had worn a divot in the housing. The new replacement spring was a flat steel one that could be installed two different ways and I couldn't find a  manual reference stating how to orient it during installation. I called a local, very reputable transmission repair place and asked a tech there and he told me how to install it. No clunking, so I guess it was put in right.

3/08/2024 2:48 PM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

LIke TKO, I did my first auto-box (an AOD) in early the early 00"s and was amazed at the relative simplicity.  Just keep in mind that cleanliness is WAY more important (in transmissions) than Godliness, follow the instructions, and they are pretty easy to rebuild.  I even made my own clutch spring compressors and other tools which a couple of other guys on here have used.
Two years ago I rebuilt a 4R70W and stuffed in in the Heap to replace the AOD.  Other issues convinced me to go back to the AOD but a month ago I re-swapped to the 4R with a Bauman controller and am very happy. 
I would be very interested in seeing those pictures of your stock shifter mod to use on the 4R70W. I couldn't get my 68 shifter to work so I used a modified 1998 Mustang shifter with a 2002 Mustang shifter cable and bracket. It would be nice to have a stock looking shifter again. (It isn't pretty, but it works fine)

BB1

upload picture to web upload for facebook upload photos without account

3/08/2024 3:15 PM  #16

Mike,
The "electronic" transmissions, like the 4R70W, are operated by hydraulic pressure butt (TS&T), they are "controlled" by a computer and solenoid valves.  They have a pressure control valve that is electrically controlled to vary the line pressure.  The control program in the electronic controller allows you to increase or decrease shift firmness as desired.  You can also control the shift points, up or down, and lockup RPM.  I have the Bauman "Quick 2" controller which does everything I need without getting too fancy.  Ron 68 stepped up to the Quick 4 controller which allows him to dial in a whole bunch of other parameters...like seat firmness, tire pressure, headlight intensity, and glovebox door latch release pressure.

BB

3/09/2024 3:31 AM  #17

Bullet Bob wrote:

Mike,
The "electronic" transmissions, like the 4R70W, are operated by hydraulic pressure butt (TS&T), they are "controlled" by a computer and solenoid valves.  They have a pressure control valve that is electrically controlled to vary the line pressure.  The control program in the electronic controller allows you to increase or decrease shift firmness as desired.  You can also control the shift points, up or down, and lockup RPM.  I have the Bauman "Quick 2" controller which does everything I need without getting too fancy.  Ron 68 stepped up to the Quick 4 controller which allows him to dial in a whole bunch of other parameters...like seat firmness, tire pressure, headlight intensity, and glovebox door latch release pressure.

BB

Nah BB - it was just more purdy than the Quick 2..... :-) and I just had to have it.

3/09/2024 8:07 AM  #18

Bullet Bob wrote:

Mike,

BB

What can be done to these electronic transmissions with programming is insane.  My '06 Diesel F250 ran a stock Ford reman trans for 180k miles behind an engine making about twice the factory rated power.  No parts were changed; I simply had a program written by a guy who knows what he's doing.  That truck at nearly 8,000lbs ran a 13 flat at 102MPH in the 1/4. 

3/09/2024 12:43 PM  #19

Side question, does the AOD and the 4R70W transmission fit in the 65-66, and the 67-68, tunnels w/o modifications? 

3/09/2024 4:06 PM  #20

Interesting linkage fer shore !! (multi-adjustable) I would expect NO LESS from you Bullet !
6sal6

3/09/2024 5:28 PM  #21

BobE wrote:

Side question, does the AOD and the 4R70W transmission fit in the 65-66, and the 67-68, tunnels w/o modifications? 

Yes sir.

3/09/2024 8:04 PM  #22

6sally6 wrote:

Interesting linkage fer shore !! (multi-adjustable) I would expect NO LESS from you Bullet !
6sal6

Mike - that is my linkage setup on my 68 - I screwed up my posting making it look like BB's. I call it my Frankenstang linkage. I cobbed together a few shift  parts from different models and - it works.

3/10/2024 7:53 AM  #23

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

BobE wrote:

Yes sir.

Thank you

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.