FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2024 9:14 AM  #1

Third Part Extended Warranty Experience?

I'm looking at a 2019 F250 w/ 88000 miles to haul the mustang to trips and shows.  6.2, gas

It's not eligible for OEM extended warranty so I'm looking at third party options.  ie, carshield, endurance, American Dream, etc.

Most of what I read is that these are crap.  Not sure if I have to get towing policy too.  What is your opinion on these extender warranties?

4/01/2024 12:10 PM  #2

Re: Third Part Extended Warranty Experience?

I consider them all to just be a big scam money grab by those companies. Most OEM warranty periods are long enough to cover most anything that will go wrong, and if you properly maintain your car, you should have many years of trouble free service from it.
Those that fall for those extended warranty gimmicks are usually not very knowledgeable about vehicles and their maintenance, so they think that a warranty like that will protect them from costly repairs. Guess what - most newer vehicles are pretty reliable and those who buy the warranty will more than likely never use it - thus their money paid to the warranty companies is pure profit. As P.T. Barnum is credited with saying - "There's a sucker born every minute." And W.C. Fields is famous for his line - "Never give a sucker an even break." Don't buy into those "extended warranties". JMHO

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/01/2024 12:57 PM  #3

I agree with Ron.  The odds of a catastrophic failure (engine/trans, etc.) in a newish vehicle with only 88k on the clock are about 0.  That's really all those warranties tend to cover. 

A while back I bought a used '07 F250 with a 5.4 and 177k on it for $6k.  I sunk about $8k into it.  Once I get the rust fixed and those areas painted let's call it $18k total (purchase price and repairs).  A lot of guys are like "why'd you do that, should have just bought a new truck."  I'm like "In what world does what I spent on this one come anywhere near the cost of a new truck?"  Oh, and this one was already a work truck, so its nice (for a work truck), but its not brand new nice where I get to stress over every scratch and ding.  The bottom line is, until it starts costing me anywhere close to the down payment and monthly payment on a new truck (to say nothing of higher insurance) I'm fine with what I've got.  I can fix it A LOT for that figure.  Also, as an older vehicle its got all the creature comforts, but its still relatively simple and parts are relatively cheap. 

So another thing to consider, if this is basically a low mileage per year toy hauler, is getting an older, cheaper vehicle and go through it.  I know the Super Duties pretty well at this point.  Maintained they are VERY reliable, regardless their generation.  Their biggest enemies are rust and bad owners. 

4/01/2024 3:09 PM  #4

Haul the Mustang to trips?? What fun is that?
Live dangerously,  keep your money and drive the Mustang, they are supposed to be for trips!😱

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/01/2024 4:36 PM  #5

Rudi wrote:

Live dangerously,  keep your money and drive the Mustang, they are supposed to be for trips!😱

Better yet.......IF ya really think ya need a hauler, boy do I have a deal fer ewe !!!!
1972 F-250 long bed. 390 motor-4 speed tranny  that would prolly 'snatch-a-trailer-in-two' it has so much torque. Power steering front discs.......... an ASH TRAY & LIGHTER !
They just don't make new ones like this old boy !
Pull a classic WITH a classic !!! (the guys at Mustangsteve Bash won't make fun of ya this way)
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (4/01/2024 4:37 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/01/2024 5:01 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Better yet.......IF ya really think ya need a hauler, boy do I have a deal fer ewe !!!!
1972 F-250 long bed. 390 motor-4 speed tranny  that would prolly 'snatch-a-trailer-in-two' it has so much torque. Power steering front discs.......... an ASH TRAY & LIGHTER !
They just don't make new ones like this old boy !
Pull a classic WITH a classic !!! (the guys at Mustangsteve Bash won't make fun of ya this way)
6sally6

Still might need something to pull all that on a trailer as well🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/01/2024 6:15 PM  #7

I used to think gas trucks had torque too.  If you're really going to tow; there's only one way to go.  You'll understand that gas truck tows like its still in park when you tow with a truck with makes power without need of spark. 

4/01/2024 6:58 PM  #8

I never buy ANY extended warranty period.
Coupedaddy works for one of those companies. Maybe he has an opinion that might help you.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2024 8:54 PM  #9

I know people that bought an extended warranty with their new vehicle from the dealer. I never really understood why? As TKO stated; I would rather fix up an older rust-free vehicle than buy new. My wife has a different opinion!

Go to the BBB and look at the CarShield Complaints. There are THOUSANDS!

Last edited by KeithP (4/01/2024 9:05 PM)

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/02/2024 8:20 AM  #10

I had extended warranty on my wife's Jeep Commander a few years ago, thank goodness we unloaded that POS. Anyway, they are very hard to deal with and will put you through the ringer if you try to file a claim. Her water pump went out and I had to provide documentation that I had regularly services the cooling system, including flushes at the OEM schedule. I think they were surprised that I did So they paid.

Here's my opinion, either buy brand new with a factory warranty so you start with a vehicle that **you** know the maintenance on and then as it gets older and out of warranty you switch over to taking care of it yourself OR buy something really old and easy to work on, because buying something in between where you do not know the maintenance first hand and is not so easy to service is a gamble and could be expensive.

4/02/2024 7:15 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

Probably more fun than not going on the trip at all, Rudi.

4/02/2024 7:16 PM  #12

Bought the extended warranty ONE TIME. On a used Chrysler Sebring  rag top (everybody needs at least one convertible in their life) Must a been thru Chrysler. We had a rain leak (they fixed it) some sortuva squeak that ONLY Ms Sally could hear and they fixed it too.
Usually they are a rip......
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/02/2024 9:14 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Bought the extended warranty ONE TIME. On a used Chrysler Sebring  rag top (everybody needs at least one convertible in their life) Must a been thru Chrysler. We had a rain leak (they fixed it) some sortuva squeak that ONLY Ms Sally could hear and they fixed it too.
Usually they are a rip......
6sally6

How much did that warranty initially cost you in order to get those two $50 problems fixed for free?

4/03/2024 4:30 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

That's what I was thinking... Driving them is where the fun is.
Maybe instead of purchasing the truck and extended warranty, you can put that money towards the Mustang? 🤔🤔🤔🙂

Last edited by Toploader (4/03/2024 4:32 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/03/2024 7:09 AM  #15

Raymond_B wrote:

I had extended warranty on my wife's Jeep Commander a few years ago, thank goodness we unloaded that POS. Anyway, they are very hard to deal with and will put you through the ringer if you try to file a claim. Her water pump went out and I had to provide documentation that I had regularly services the cooling system, including flushes at the OEM schedule. I think they were surprised that I did So they paid.

Here's my opinion, either buy brand new with a factory warranty so you start with a vehicle that **you** know the maintenance on and then as it gets older and out of warranty you switch over to taking care of it yourself OR buy something really old and easy to work on, because buying something in between where you do not know the maintenance first hand and is not so easy to service is a gamble and could be expensive.

RaymondB I agree, maintain the vehicle per the owners manual and one shouldn't have any trouble.  I know of one person that had an engine failure at 85k miles ... he had never had an oil change!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/03/2024 7:44 AM  #16

I know people who have benefited from those warranty's but I’m sure it’s a higher percentage that don’t.  The 6.2 is a very reliable engine.   I tried to find a used truck with that engine but couldn’t find anything that fit my needs.   To be honest it was kind of difficult to find that engine option around me.

4/03/2024 10:13 AM  #17

No, no, no, no and just no.   And don't even get me started on the aftermarket third party that shall remain unnamed that runs a tv commercial every three minutes. 

Those scam companies got their start in my region and it's shameful to say I knew people that worked there.   But if you ever want a good read, Google the story of them and the cultlike atmosphere they tried to create for their workers before they got shut down and sent to prison.   

Anyways, even the most legit ones are scams.  Their goal, just like current dealer/manufactuerer warranty repairs, is to get it back out the door as cheaply as possible.  They will reuse gaskets and crap.   Now, the dealers put the greenest techs on them and pay them a much.lessor rate.   

The only way to truly know is to repair it yourself, or find someone you really trust.

Last edited by Greg B (4/03/2024 10:30 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.