FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2024 5:10 AM  #1

Tool repair question

I have an older Starett caliper that has electronic digital display.

I had left it in the ice cold garage and a couple of the segments in one number is consistently not working across the entire span.

It has been like this for a couple of years now.
I ended up getting a cheap caliper from Car Quest/Advanced Auto that has worked well.

I would like to fix this as I have had this almost as long as my 65.
It still works and is accurate for my use, just have to slow down to figure out the “one digit.”

Was wondering if it has a “carbon block?” similar in old calculators to connect to the display?

4/03/2024 5:45 AM  #2

Re: Tool repair question

I don’t know the answer to your question but when I worked in a machine shop I would send stuff like this directly to the manufacturer for repairs.  Sadly it may cost more than finding a used pair that’s for sale but you would have a pretty close to new and known tool.

4/03/2024 7:43 AM  #3

There are a number of youtube videos on repair LCD dead segments. I recently repaired an older LCD readout by burnishing the display ribbon cable at the board connection and it fixed it. It seems the display ribbon cables are attached to the main board with a conductive adhesive with can loosen in time. Some also use low heat to reactivate the adhesive.

Last edited by ponch0v (4/03/2024 8:08 AM)

4/03/2024 9:43 AM  #4

Find a like one and sell that one to someone in California?

Dumb thought, but my cheapo hf plastico one does something like that and a putting in a new battery brings it back to life. 

And yes, I use it far more than the better metal one because I've found over the years it was just as accurate and you'd be surprised what kids would do with those things.

Last edited by Greg B (4/03/2024 9:44 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/03/2024 10:23 AM  #5

Are there screws to take it apart on the back side?  What does it do when you switch to metric and a new batt. I live in CA. butt don't want you to "sell" it to me! Just wondering is all.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

4/03/2024 1:09 PM  #6

I will check and see what repair videos are available.

Just installed new batteries.
Display has same results in metric as well for that digit.

There are screws top and bottom.

4/03/2024 6:31 PM  #7

Hit it with a heat gun ?!?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/04/2024 6:21 AM  #8

My Fluke meter LED display was having a problem with dead segments.  I was able to buy new conductive strips for the display from Amazon and that took care of the problem. I should get another 50 years of service out of it. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.