FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2024 7:10 PM  #1

Proper way to keep VIN when replacing Inner Fender

I am replacing the inner fenders on my 67 and wondering what the best/legal way to transfer the VIN to the new panels is. Unfortunately, I don't have a dash VIN, as I believe that started in 68, so the inner fender VINs are all I have for identification. Has anyone dealt with this maybe feedback from the Police or DMV?

5/21/2024 7:32 PM  #2

Re: Proper way to keep VIN when replacing Inner Fender

Use a cut-off wheel or jig saw to cut them out and then weld them into the new inner fender. It's entirely legal.

5/21/2024 7:35 PM  #3

Thanks, Texas! Easy enough.

5/22/2024 6:18 AM  #4

You should have a door tag for use with the DMV.  No one at the DMV ever lifted the hood on my '67; they went by the door tag.  Though, Texas! stated the correct method for transferring the inner fender stamp, and that's always nice to have for originality if nothing else.  If you don't have a door tag Marti Autoworks can make you one. 

https://www.martiauto.com/index.cfm

5/22/2024 7:58 PM  #5

I would check with your state's DMV.  I know in Illinois the law is different.  It is a criminal offense to "cut & paste" a VIN in Illinois.  We are required to contact the State Police, who will pay a visit to observe the VIN on the apron.  They will then prepare a State Police VIN tag and permanently affix it to the panel below the door latch, and then you can do what you please with the apron.

The Illinois State Police are very aware that you can order a door plate with any data you choose, and also know that doors or door tags can easily be exchanged between cars, and treat the door tags as meaningless.

5/23/2024 9:11 AM  #6

Isn't there usually two vin numbers on the left and right side of the aprons? The passenger side is concealed by the actual fender. They should be the same numbers on them.  Mine was double stamped on both sides. Like the stamper dude didn't think it stamped good enough the first time so he stamped it again. Got pictures of the placement of th i.d's some place I will look for them.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

5/23/2024 11:44 AM  #7

Texas! wrote:

Use a cut-off wheel or jig saw to cut them out and then weld them into the new inner fender. It's entirely legal.

Are you 100% sure about this in Texas?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2024 8:40 PM  #8

MS wrote:

Texas! wrote:

Absolutely. It is only illegal to transfer a VIN from one vehicle to another vehicle. A replacement inner fender is not another vehicle.

5/23/2024 9:12 PM  #9

Texas! wrote:

MS wrote:

Texas! wrote:

Absolutely. It is only illegal to transfer a VIN from one vehicle to another vehicle. A replacement inner fender is not another vehicle.

Is that your opinion, or a legal fact?

5/23/2024 9:19 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Texas! wrote:

MS wrote:

Glen Buzek is the man that could answer this.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/24/2024 6:39 AM  #11

MS wrote:

Texas! wrote:

MS wrote:

Every county in Texas has a representative of the Auto Theft Task Force who goes to the court house on certain days and clears up title issues. Find out when yours will be at the court house and ask him personally like I did. He even verified that a Dynacorn body shell is sold as a "replacement part" and he would authorize a title using the VINs from my rusted out '66 fastback when I showed him "substantial progress" in rebuilding the car.

5/24/2024 7:55 AM  #12

Interesting, I always thought that Dynacorn bodies  came with their own updated vin. numbers on each body that they made.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

5/24/2024 8:22 AM  #13

Quicksilver wrote:

Interesting, I always thought that Dynacorn bodies  came with their own updated vin. numbers on each body that they made.

Yeah.  If that isn’t illegal, it sure ought to be. I can see replacing the VIN on the car it came on, but a dynacorn body is just outright fraudulent

5/24/2024 10:13 AM  #14

Dynacorn bodies are sold as a "replacement part" and do not have a VIN so they are not a vehicle. Like I said, ask your local Auto Theft Task Force officer. Or look at Dynacorn's website in this link.
https://dynacornclassicbodies.com/faqs/

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.