FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2013 8:39 PM  #1

Impressed with Ramses' paint and body work

I finally made it over to Ramses' house yesterday and checked out the Jalapeno Red paint and all the bodywork he has done to the car.  I must say I was quite impressed with an ameteur's very professional body work and paint.  He makes mastercrap look like a bunch of first graders.

The car has only two original sheetmetal panels left on it.  He has replaced everything except the roof and decklid, and he is looking for another decklid.  For a young guy that has no bodywork experience, this work is a very good example of how FYIFORD can encourage one to achieve things they never would have attempted on their own.  And when he got discouraged and said he was going to sell the  unfinished, wrecked car, the members here encouraged him to keep on going.  The result is fabulous.  The car will get block sanded with 400 and have a few more coats of clear applied before it gets the final wetsand and buff.  Hopefully everyone can see it at the bash this year.  It has gone from a kid's rusty wrecked T code coupe to a car anyone would be proud to own and show.

The wreck required replacement of the rocker panel, straightening the floor and roof and spring mount, new jamb, door skin and quarter panel.  He replaced all the skins on the passenger side as well, I think just so he would have practice and be able to see what the finished product should look like.  The crashed rocker panel and quarter panel got replaced twice in order to get it right.  Amazing work.  And no excuses about "first time", either.  This job can go up against all but the absolute best paint jobs. 

Message here is:  You can do this yourself and probably better than anyone you could pay to do it for you.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/10/2013 9:29 PM  #2

Re: Impressed with Ramses' paint and body work

Looking good Ramses. You won't be able to hide from the cops with that color! Just think, only 40 hours of color sanding and polishing and you can start the 400 hours of assembly from a stripped shell. With your hard work you have learned what us old guys preach: you learn by doing. I'm continuously amazed at what the forum members do. Rebuild an automatic transmission? No problem. Build your own tools to do it? Sure. Completely change the suspension to something more modern? Why not. It's stuff like that that keeps so many of us coming back to see what comes next.

Last edited by Hornman (4/10/2013 9:31 PM)

4/11/2013 7:14 AM  #3

Nice work "Grasshopper",,,    soon very soon you'll be able to roam the endless miles of the US.     

4/11/2013 7:23 AM  #4

Swatt-eye (Thanks Mike) always preach.  Again, fantastic work, Ranses.  See ya in Sept.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/11/2013 7:43 AM  #5

4/11/2013 8:22 AM  #6

Awesome!

4/11/2013 9:19 AM  #7

Beautiful.

All throttle no bottle

4/11/2013 9:22 AM  #8

Beautiful.

All throttle no bottle

4/11/2013 9:35 AM  #9

Awesome job, looks great congrats!

4/11/2013 10:20 AM  #10

Now Mustangsteve knows where to take his next wreck to...how about coming to NJ to paint mine....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/11/2013 3:19 PM  #11

superb

4/11/2013 4:19 PM  #12

That was a lot of work he has done and it looks great!

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

4/11/2013 6:23 PM  #13

Nice work Ramses!

4/11/2013 6:24 PM  #14

Looking good! I dabbel with DIY paint and body work and it sure looks good to me. Plus it sure feels good to say I did it my self.

4/11/2013 9:24 PM  #15

Thanks for all the support y'all! It's all about keeping your head up and walking away when things aren't coming out well. The most important thing I've learned about paint and body work is that it requires a ton of patience. It make be hard to be patient, but the result in the end is worth the waiting. If MS gives the thumbs up on my paint job,I must be doing something right lol! Thanks again for all the support! Will keep y'all updated on when I get this thing assembled and done.

4/12/2013 6:56 AM  #16

Curious what you used to make it simple for at home. Urethane?

How did you keep the dust down in your garage while you sprayed and the paint set up?

I cut in and did underneath hood, trunk and fenders, plus inside trunk at home. But I found that the dust was just too big an issue to consider trying the rest of the car. I tried the cowl as a test for a flat surface, and it had lots of dust in it.

Since I then hired out the job, all my efforts were in vain. Cost just as much as if I had done nothing.

4/12/2013 8:13 AM  #17

To keep dust down, I put water on the floor.  When I paint in the 60x80 tractor shop, I put 20 gallons down and broom it around.

if I was painting in a garage, I'd use one of those portable wall systems they use for construction to keep the dust contained.

4/12/2013 1:40 PM  #18

Looks good Rames, you took on some tough body work there.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/12/2013 3:26 PM  #19

Keep up the good work, It Keeps me motivated to get my car done

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/12/2013 4:40 PM  #20

LondonSteve wrote:

Curious what you used to make it simple for at home. Urethane?

How did you keep the dust down in your garage while you sprayed and the paint set up?

I cut in and did underneath hood, trunk and fenders, plus inside trunk at home. But I found that the dust was just too big an issue to consider trying the rest of the car. I tried the cowl as a test for a flat surface, and it had lots of dust in it.

Since I then hired out the job, all my efforts were in vain. Cost just as much as if I had done nothing.

like CraigMBA said, shoot some water on the floor and mop it around.Before that,sweep the floor,walls etc. the could tends to be an area where it will house a lot of sneaky dust that will jump out of you don't clean it out.I would remove those little rubber plugs on the side of the cowl and blow some air through it along with some water.

4/12/2013 4:45 PM  #21

Looks really nice almost like it is wet

4/12/2013 8:44 PM  #22

Very nice.

4/12/2013 9:21 PM  #23

Really nice work! I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice!

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/14/2013 2:35 PM  #24

REALLY LOOKS NICE.....WHAT COLOR INTERIOR YOU GOING WITH?

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (4/14/2013 2:36 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/14/2013 4:26 PM  #25

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

REALLY LOOKS NICE.....WHAT COLOR INTERIOR YOU GOING WITH?

Black interior, pony door panels, front and rear 2012 mustang GT leather seats.should look niiiccceeee!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.