FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2013 1:23 PM  #1

MUFFLERS

Would there be any market for a QUIET muffler that actually fit the 65-70 Mustang? 

I have been shopping for mufflers for my car and nearly every single one of them advertises a deep throaty sound.  Does anyone besides me want to have a car that is not totally silent but is not obnoxiously loud?  Seems like as alot of the Mustang crowd gets on in years, they might want to actually be able to hold a conversation in their car and not rattle the neighbor's windows every time they go out for a cruise.

I tried Dynomax VT mufflers that said they were quiet until you got hard on the throttle.  If you can stand all the clanking and banging noises, they are pretty quiet (other than the internal clanking and banging) as long as a cruise speed below 65 MPH is maintained.  Once you go faster than 65 in my car, they are straight through, wide open, obnoxiously loud.  Basically a joke as far as something that actually works in real life.

I am seriously thinking of manufacturing my own mufflers that are tuned to the car and do not put out alot of noise.  There has to be a way to get there.

Should I just build a one-off set to satisfy my own needs, or is this something that would be marketable?  I know there are the 6sally6 types that enjoy obnoxious mufflers, and to them it may be music to their ears.  Personally, I would like to still have my hearing intact when I get older.  Does everyone like it loud or is quieter than what is now available a preference?

Please reply to list what engine you have and what mufflers you are using and whether you like them or not.

What kind of sound is best from yor Mustang exhaust system?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/12/2013 2:27 PM  #2

Re: MUFFLERS

You know that I've been trying  to  find  just that muffler.  I liked the tone of the  FM 50s you had  on the 351 but I never was in the car at speed.    What we have  now are just too dead.  They are easy on the  ears at speed but sound crappy when you push the go pedal.  The muffler shop called them  "stock replacement" but I never did find out exactly which stock muffler they  were replacing.

Back  in 78 I put a SBC in my 55 Ford 1/2  ton PU.   Yeah, yeah...don't want to hear it!  Anyway I used a pair of Walker BU-69 mufflers and It sounded just right.  A bit of rumble at idle, good sound on the  pedal and very tolerable at cruise.  That truck had a 4.10 with a Warner .7 OD so it was a good comparison to our overdriven Mustangs...except the  Bowtie engine.  Problem I see though as I recall, is that those mufflers were a bit long for he Mustang.

Absent something like you are talking about, I plan to try the 50s and add resonators or short glass packs near the tips....like  Ford did.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/12/2013 3:35 PM  #3

I love the sound of my stock 2 1/4 inch GT set up. It has a custom "H" pipe, resonators on each pipe and the stock transverse muffler behind the axel.

My engine is a 331 CI,Performer Eddy heads,  220-220,.512 lift 110LSA Comp cam, 9.1 to 1 forged Probe pistons. 670 Street avenger carb.

I have toyed with having a set of custom bent stainless pipes made with Magnaflow sound deadeners but with no gaurantee on the sound I have chosen to keep what I have.

The sound at start up and idle is a nice but noticable rumble, at acceleration it is throaty and not attention getting, at cruise there is no loudness with virtually no drone or racket.

I do not like loud exhausts or ones that are too quiet either.

The only thing you may not like is the large transverse muffler which is heavy. 

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/12/2013 4:00 PM  #4

Rudy, is that like the setup NPD sells?  I've thought of going stock so that may be the answer.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/12/2013 4:00 PM  #5

Steve
I have a 1965 Ford Mustang GT fastback 289 with hypo heads and Hipo exhaust manifolds. Recently with my extended family I would like something that is totally quiet on the highway! I am planning on driving to Las Vegas for the fiftieth and I don't need to hear anything from exhaust as I will be on the road for hours and hours. . Any help you can give would be great! I would like to keep the 2-1/4" and GT trumpets. Currently have flow masters
Thanks!

10/12/2013 4:18 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

I love the sound of my stock 2 1/4 inch GT set up. It has a custom "H" pipe, resonators on each pipe and the stock transverse muffler behind the axel.

My engine is a 331 CI,Performer Eddy heads,  220-220,.512 lift 110LSA Comp cam, 9.1 to 1 forged Probe pistons. 670 Street avenger carb.

I have toyed with having a set of custom bent stainless pipes made with Magnaflow sound deadeners but with no gaurantee on the sound I have chosen to keep what I have.

The sound at start up and idle is a nice but noticable rumble, at acceleration it is throaty and not attention getting, at cruise there is no loudness with virtually no drone or racket.

I do not like loud exhausts or ones that are too quiet either.

The only thing you may not like is the large transverse muffler which is heavy. 

I think I just answered my own question.  After looking at the NPD catalog it appears that they don'd sell a 2.25 system in stock form for the 66 GT.

BB

10/12/2013 4:32 PM  #7

What "stock 2-1/4" GT" exhaust are you guys talking about.  Stock was 2" and had 1-7/8 tailpipes at the trumpets on 65/66.  I know they make 2-1/4" aftermarket systems that resemble the stock stuff...

10/12/2013 4:32 PM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

Would there be any market for a QUIET muffler that actually fit the 65-70 Mustang? 

I have been shopping for mufflers for my car and nearly every single one of them advertises a deep throaty sound.  Does anyone besides me want to have a car that is not totally silent but is not obnoxiously loud?  Seems like as alot of the Mustang crowd gets on in years, they might want to actually be able to hold a conversation in their car and not rattle the neighbor's windows every time they go out for a cruise.

I tried Dynomax VT mufflers that said they were quiet until you got hard on the throttle.  If you can stand all the clanking and banging noises, they are pretty quiet (other than the internal clanking and banging) as long as a cruise speed below 65 MPH is maintained.  Once you go faster than 65 in my car, they are straight through, wide open, obnoxiously loud.  Basically a joke as far as something that actually works in real life.

I am seriously thinking of manufacturing my own mufflers that are tuned to the car and do not put out alot of noise.  There has to be a way to get there.

Should I just build a one-off set to satisfy my own needs, or is this something that would be marketable?  I know there are the 6sally6 types that enjoy obnoxious mufflers, and to them it may be music to their ears.  Personally, I would like to still have my hearing intact when I get older.  Does everyone like it loud or is quieter than what is now available a preference?

Please reply to list what engine you have and what mufflers you are using and whether you like them or not.

Steve the JBA's have a nice exhaust note and are not loud like Flow Masters...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

10/12/2013 5:46 PM  #9

I have the VT and no clanking,, so I think displacment might have something to do with it,, Mine did open up to straight thru at around 80-85 mph.  Sounds really sweet at that speed and completely droned out the sudden noise coming from the passenger seat.   

10/12/2013 5:56 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

Why not just buy a pair? I'm sure there are mufflers out there to meat your needs.  The "turbo" type mufflers are very quiet.  I had them on my 5.0 and was not happy how quiet they were.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

10/12/2013 7:17 PM  #11

red351 wrote:

We installed 2-1/4 transverse muffler setup from Laurel Mountain Mustang.  One of the nicest sounding setups we've heard in a long time.  Rumbles at idle, and pops under acceleration with absolutely no drone inside or outside.  Bonnie's '67 with 351C.  It is quieter than Thrush Cherry Bombs with the cracking sound they made back in the day, if you can remember when that was cool.  And don't do the Flow Master Delta 50's unless you like drone.  The kit fit perfect with the resonators under the back seat area.  The only thing I changed was the way they choke down inside the muffler to 2" on the in and outs.  The hole saw fixed that.

Checked Laurel Mtn...no transvers setup for the 66.  Any chance the 67 muffler could be squeezed in?

BB

10/12/2013 7:41 PM  #12

Bullet Bob wrote:

Rudy, is that like the setup NPD sells?  I've thought of going stock so that may be the answer.

should have mentioned my car is a 68, the 66's never came with a big block engine.
 The two can't be that much different, can they?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/12/2013 8:31 PM  #13

Rudi wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

should have mentioned my car is a 68, the 66's never came with a big block engine.
 The two can't be that much different, can they?

I don't know, Rudi.  Butt (TS&T), for the price of the  transvers muffler from NPD it just might be worth seeing if it can be made to work. 

Thanks for the lead.

BB

10/12/2013 8:43 PM  #14

jerseyjoe wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Steve the JBA's have a nice exhaust note and are not loud like Flow Masters...jj

jj... I sold the JBA mufflers that came with my system because you stated they were going to be loud from your experience...????????????????????

10/12/2013 8:47 PM  #15

I used to have flowmaster 50's on the car and they were nearly silent at any cruise speed and had zero drone at any speed.

My decision at this point is to remove the VT's and send them back to Summit as defective because they rattle.  I ordered a pair of Walker Mega Flows for $20 each just to have something to put on the car until I can get something better, or design my own.  At least it is a cheap experiment.  I knew I should have just clamped the mufflers on until I heard what they sounded like.  Now I get to cut them out...

10/12/2013 9:17 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

I used to have flowmaster 50's on the car and they were nearly silent at any cruise speed and had zero drone at any speed.

I thought you were happy with the 50s.  Why not just get a pair of them for the new system?

BB

10/12/2013 9:20 PM  #17

I was OK with the sound of the 50's.  I just have it in my head that I want some that fit better.  The 50's were 3" longer than what I have on it now.  At the time I got them, there was not a decent alternative.

I want some that fit perfect and sound perfect.  The thought has crossed my mind to just go get some more Flowmaster 50's, but I would prefer something that is even quieter than they were during acceleration, where they were real loud.  At least at cruise you could not hear the exhaust at all.

10/12/2013 9:21 PM  #18

What about supertrapp mufflers? I recall a friend having supertrapps on his 70 torino gt.  I don't recall the sound, but I remember that you remove baffle plates to make quieter add more torque, and add them for noise and HP.

10/12/2013 9:25 PM  #19

I thought they sounded pretty good and were quite quiet for normal driving.  As for loud on accel...well, I thought that's why they call it the "loud pedal".

I do recall you mentioning that they were tough to make  fit due to length.  Was that with 2.5 or 2.25 pipes?

BB

10/12/2013 9:46 PM  #20

Bullet Bob wrote:

I thought they sounded pretty good and were quite quiet for normal driving.  As for loud on accel...well, I thought that's why they call it the "loud pedal".

I do recall you mentioning that they were tough to make  fit due to length.  Was that with 2.5 or 2.25 pipes?

BB

The old system had 2.5" from headers to mufflers, then 2.25 from mufflers to the tip.

As exhaust gas cools, it takes up less volume, so the farther from the heat source, the smaller the tube can be and still maintain same pressure.

10/12/2013 10:58 PM  #21

I'm with you! I swapped the Magnaflows for some Dynomax Super Turbos. It is certainly quieter, but not where I want it to be. Would love it to sound like the Fox body 5.0's. Perhaps I need to add some catalytic converters   

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

10/13/2013 7:40 AM  #22

MustangSteve wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

jj... I sold the JBA mufflers that came with my system because you stated they were going to be loud from your experience...????????????????????

Yeah but did you enjoy wasting the money?  8)

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

10/13/2013 8:01 AM  #23

MustangSteve wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

I never said they were loud...I wondered why you were selling them ??????   I said, like a bottle of nice mellow wine or scotch,think it was scotch...buy them back...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

10/13/2013 8:25 AM  #24

I did exactly what Jeff in Ga did.   Much improved but could be better.  MS, what about the fit of the 50s you didn't like?  Length, width,,,???

10/13/2013 10:08 AM  #25

Length of the flow 50's was main problem.  They fit without causing problems, but just did not fit with what I was trying to accomplish with my car.  I also was trying to go with something lighter weight to go along with my "all aluminum" theme.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.