FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2013 5:44 PM  #26

Re: MUFFLERS

I have a set of FM 40's on my 66 fastback. 2.25 with shorty headers. With straight tips out the valence in the back, they angle to fit the valence.  Engine is a mild 289 with a T5. My wife says they are loud. My kids love the sound. I'm in between. Yes they are loud until cruise speed. As soon as I shift into 5th, try quiet done a lot.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

10/13/2013 7:46 PM  #27

Tmac wrote:

My wife says they are loud.

Of COURSE she said they were loud! She's a wife!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/13/2013 7:49 PM  #28

Would this help the noise problem?......... What about putting a FM40 on one side(passenger) and a 50 on the other?!
Would be pretty almost drone free and still have a nice rumble at idle?!
I've been thinking about this to solve the "high-pitch whine coming from the pass seat"!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/14/2013 7:32 AM  #29

True about percieved muffler sound, Red.  But we all agree that we want quiet and we know  the factory didn't put them out sounding  like  a "B" gasser with drone like Washing Machine Charley.

So, trying  a stock type setup makes  sense for a more-or-less stock type engine.

Thanks  again  for the info.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/14/2013 7:53 AM  #30

Bullet Bob wrote:

r with drone like Washing Machine Charley..

BB

I LIKE IT!!
6s6

10/14/2013 8:27 AM  #31

My mufflers are a take-off from a 1998 Mustang Cobra.  With no cats, they are louder than stock, but no drone or rumble. Great for the bash trips.   I'm not sure that you'd want to buy them from the Ford dealer though.

Summit Racing has cheap turbo mufflers that I've wondered about, but you don't know how they perform unless you try them... or know someone with a set.

jerry

10/14/2013 8:39 AM  #32

Reminds me, Jerry.  I had a pair of 2003 COBRA mufflers and sold them to Bullet Bob!    I am on the way to install some cheap turbos until I figure out what is best.  Heck, I would not be against a transverse setup from a 69 428CJ but I have my fuel pumps and filters mounted there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/14/2013 12:05 PM  #33

65 mustang coupe 289 c4 trans I bought my 65 coupe it had stock manifolds and 2.5 exhaust with h pipe and flowmaster super 44s and 2.5 tail pipes I love the rumble they make on the exterior. I wish the drone was a little less on the interior but is minimal I had my interior done and he said he had some eastwood Matt that he use under the carpet that made a huge difference. I'm also going to under coat my trunk door in side etc I'm sure this will make a big difference. Over all though I love my mufflers though. You could look into magnaflow they have a beefy tone when idle and when you floor it but they have a quiet inter drone.  That's what master muffler told me to get for my 85 chevy k10 with 383. They also did 2.5 from manifold back then muffler and 3" tailpipe all in stainless steel

10/14/2013 12:08 PM  #34

They have some mufflers threw jegs that are called hush power which are suppose to be quiet

10/14/2013 12:28 PM  #35

Flowmaster bought hushpower.  They do make one with the characteristics I am seeking, except it is 23" long, which is longer than my old flowmaster 50's.

10/14/2013 12:36 PM  #36

My daily driver has dual mode exhaust which I bought the key fob mod that allows you to turn the quiet off. I have it set up to defalut to loud, but that is because when i leave it loud I never see a deer. It has the valves that are opened with a vacuum dashpot, so there is no rattle or clanking since they hold the valves steady. My wife will not get in the car till I turn the Quiet on! And it is quiet, at least until 3000rpm where the computer takes over and opens things up. It is a Great set-up so I am make one for my Fastback. I will probably use electric actuators though since my cam does not provide for a lot of vacuum.

10/14/2013 2:42 PM  #37

A while back I posted a picture showing how to eliminate exhaust drone. Everyone poo-poo'ed the idea then, but I bet it's looking better now.

Maybe Hakan could photoshop the pipes onto Steve's car.

Last edited by at (10/14/2013 2:45 PM)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

10/14/2013 3:47 PM  #38

My car has never had any drone.  Hope I can still make that statement after I put those cheapie MegaFlow Walker mufflers on it.  The Summit tech guy said they will be quieter than the Walker Dyno Max Super turbos.

10/14/2013 4:43 PM  #39

The inserts from www.carchemistry.com are interesting. They can fit into different parts of an exhaust system.

10/15/2013 11:54 AM  #40

whlnut wrote:

The inserts from www.carchemistry.com are interesting. They can fit into different parts of an exhaust system.

Thanks, whlnut, that is exactly what I was looking for.  They have punctured inserts to build your own, or the 3" OD with 2-1/2" tube size bullet mufflers.  Those are what I was looking for to use as a pre-muffler.

I decided to try some Gibson mufflers as they have an internal design similar to what I was thinking of making.  If they are not quiet enough, the bullet inline mufflers can go in the pipes in front of the mufflers to reduce the noise even more.  These would be good for anyone wanting to stop drone, and they come in different pipe sizes with 3" OD.  With the 2-1/2" pipes on my car, that will only reduce the pipe clearance by 1/4" towards the drive tunnel.

10/15/2013 12:00 PM  #41

This is the Gibson muffler.

10/15/2013 2:20 PM  #42

MS, why not put the Gibson bullet 'resonators' behind the mufflers, aka, a GT, which is where the factory put them.    Maybe not enough room next to the tank, at 2 1/2"?

10/15/2013 2:35 PM  #43

Steve: I have a bone stock /66  289 "A" code and have duel glass packs with the internal vents turned forward (to catch more exhaust gasses). It has a nice burrble at idle and a more aggressive note at full throttle but smooth and quiet at cruise. It might be a throw back to the /50's but I like it. Mark   p.s.: The power brakes are fantastic. I should have done it years ago. Thanks

10/15/2013 3:01 PM  #44

Just a cam change can totally change the sound level of an exhaust system.  There is no room by the tank for the 2-1/2" pipes, much less anything larger, but there might be a piece long enough under the car to place them.

10/15/2013 3:01 PM  #45

jerryF wrote:

Summit Racing has cheap turbo mufflers that I've wondered about, but you don't know how they perform unless you try them... or know someone with a set.

I bought a pair of the chambered mufflers from summit a few years back. Sounded good with no drone inside. I sold them and bought a pair of Blowmaster 40's cause I wanted more racket and I like the flowmaster sound. The Summit mufflers were great and great price also. They also have a chambered racing muffler that I would like to try! It should be a little noiseier than the regular chambered muffs.
My wife gives me poop about "how you buy stuff to make it noisey...and then buy stuff to quieten it down"!
Wimmen.......they just don't get it...do they!
6s6

10/15/2013 5:43 PM  #46

If I could make this 500+ HP beast as whisper quiet as a new Cadillac (which the V8 has a pretty mean engine sound if you have ever been in one), I would surely do it.  I am past the point of needing LOUD and at this point, would prefer to preserve my hearing as long as possible.  Once it's gone, it doesn't come back.

Last edited by MustangSteve (10/15/2013 5:43 PM)

10/15/2013 9:29 PM  #47

MustangSteve wrote:

If I could make this 500+ HP beast as whisper quiet as a new Cadillac (which the V8 has a pretty mean engine sound if you have ever been in one), I would surely do it.  I am past the point of needing LOUD and at this point, would prefer to preserve my hearing as long as possible.  Once it's gone, it doesn't come back.

WHAT.. WHAT  you say something???  

10/17/2013 6:13 PM  #48

I found out today that Ken at Carchemistry .com is less than 10 miles from me!  Small world...  So far I have spent close to $1,000 just on MUFFLERS, some of which will be refunded.  I can only tell you I did NOT enjoy wasting that money!

Final decision is the carchemistry resonators under the drive tunnel and Gibson mufflers with 2-1/2" tubing.  I'll give the test report once I get them installed.

10/17/2013 7:31 PM  #49

I tried car chemistry on my cobra in front of the bullets, in back of the bullets, three sections, two sections, and they made no change whatsoever.  I'll be interested to see if you have any better success.

10/17/2013 8:37 PM  #50

Don't really know anything about what's inside them but I've got Xlerator Turbos on the '66 with a bone stock '68 2v 302 (firmly on the tired side) and 2" pipe all the way back to the rear valance with an H-pipe about 6" behind the C4 tail-shaft - all this came with the car when I bought it last year. A polite burble at idle, a little more aggresive on throttle from a stop with a teensy 'sporty drone' at about 2K rpm. On the highway it's very quiet with just a little of that 'sporty' sound, kind of like an old Ferrari (that's for Boomyal), on acceleration & deceleration. With a little more fire under the hood it might sound totally different.

When I do get around to putting a little more fire under the hood I've been thinking about a 2-1/2" Magnaflow system with X-pipe although I did see a post on a 4-banger forum recently where the guy referred to his recently replaced Magnaflow muffler as a 'Fart Cannon' - thought that was kinda funny - he'd just replaced it with an Xlerator that he was very happy with in comparison.

Also thought I'd stick a couple of bullet mufflers at the end of the tail-pipes but like Steve says these wouldn't fit on the driver's side without ditching the leaf springs. One thing I have read is that using mufflers with both an offest inlet & outlet will be more effective at reducing sound levels than any other configuration. Those Gibsons look pretty interesting though regardless of inlet/outlet configuration.

For both my own hearing and the peace of my neighbors I really don't want to rattle every window within a three block radius like most of the Harleys around here do everytime I pull out of the driveway - I'd like to hear a little something so I know things are working but don't want Ginger next door to give me the evil eye next time I see her. I seem to remember that there were sound laws in Cali, got pulled over for open headers many years ago, but it seems like 98% of the Harleys passing me these days sound like an atomic pig on it's way to the moon. Pretty annoying really. Hope I don't have to spend $1000 to find an acceptable solution.

A little out of date but this page from our local SAAC chapter is informative: http://www.norcal-saac.org/track/soundadvice.html

Of particular interest from the above linked page:

"Mandrel Bent Pipes - There are many companies forming mandrel bent pipes lately.  This enables one to go with a small diameter tubing, utilizing quieter readings while still keeping up good flow characteristics. A normal 2 1/2" pipe system with normal muffler shop bends will reduce down to around 2.5 square inches of exhaust flow.  The mandrel bent tube will maintain 3.14 square inches throughout.  This is commensurate to other pipe diameters."

And this (think original transverse setup):

"Latest Attempts and Technology - The latest race muffler set-ups are proving that single exhaust systems are the most advanced.  They offer  virtually no penalty of power, yet quiet things down.  Consult your muffler manufacturer. Along the lines of two devices, we saw a Flowmaster system with either Lobaks or glasspacks welded in- line to help cure the problem.  This worked!  The system was 3 inch, sort of an exception.  The  motor was a 377 c.i. Windsor stroker!"

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Last edited by McStang (10/17/2013 8:42 PM)

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.