FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2013 4:27 PM  #1

Main Bearing Pics

Im taking a look at the inside of this 5.0 HO engine.   Its suppose to have 70K on it but I never heard it run.  I took off the Rear Main Bearing Cap.  What kind of wear should I be looking for?   I didn't see any copper or wear on the bearing.  Should I check all the Bearings including the rods?   After I check the bearings should I oil and torq to specs?

Thanks Steve69

4/13/2013 6:15 PM  #2

Re: Main Bearing Pics

Since you have it apart, I would check the rod bearings. They will show more wear at the middle due to the shock loading the bearing recieves each time the plug fires. I had my son's 5.0L apart after an oil pump seized due to a small metal pellet from a valve cover gasket got into the pump and the driveshaft sheared off. I pulled all the caps to check the crank journals for wear. The bearings looked about like yours and they weren't stamped as oversized and the crank looked really good so I installed a new set of stock bearings, a new pump and d/s, put it back in and drove on.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/13/2013 6:21 PM  #3

Agree with Ron68.  Those are just slightly worn.  Since you have it apart this far, if the rods don't look much worse, why not just stick some new bearings in it?  Be sure to check if they are std or undersized bearings.

Or, just stick it back together with a new rear main seal and never look back.  There is kind of an unwritten rule that goes along with the WYAIT acronym...   If you look at it, replace it.  Lots of times, we do that when it is not necessary.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2013 7:25 PM  #4

Ill check the rod Bearings also.  Did you pull the pistons completely out our just far enough back to install new bearings?  Im almost sure there standard.  I dont think the engine has ever been tore apart.   I was debating on taking everything out and have the block checked and cleaned and the cylinders glazed.  Then new bearings and Rings.  Then I think why screw with it and take the chance of messing something up that might be good in the first place.  I might just take your advice MS with the rear seal and call it good.

Thanks for the info
Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (4/13/2013 7:28 PM)

4/13/2013 7:51 PM  #5

With the 5.0 I bought for my truck, I tore it down to block, but still pistons, rods, and crank in it.  I had to clean out the water passages whuch were crudded up real bad.  I washed it real good and since the cylinders looked good and it spun real smooth, I just put a main seal in it and did not disassemble further.  All I added extra was some brass freeze plugs in the block.  The engine was a 100k miles Mustang 5.0 roller motor and showed no cylinder wear or excesive crank end play.  For the truck, it will probably last longer than I will.

To remove and check rod bearings, rotate the crank so the one you are working on is sticking out of the block at 6:00 o'clock position, or farthest away from the head.  Remove the nuts and use a wood dowel to hammer the bottom of the piston down about 1/4".  Then you can remove the bearing.  If any wear is evident, it will most likely be on the part of the crank that is visible.  Rotate it around if you wish, but then you will have to retrieve the piston rod from up in the cylinder.  Be sure the bearing tangs fit into the slot they go to, and do not put a bearing back except where it came from, and be sure top and bottom are in same position.

Still, if the engine cylinder looked ok and the thing spins pretty easy by hand, I would not even bother.  Just depends on what level you are trying to achieve with it.  For relatively low HP use, it will last a long time as it is.  Sometimes ABDFI are the hardest words to say...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2013 8:07 PM  #6

I was thinking of going the same route MS.  There is some carbon on the pistons and gunk.  I was going to put it on TDC and clean that off also.   I was going to keep the HO cam and buy a set of AFR or Trickflow heads.  Install a new oil pump and timing chain and Gaskets and roll with it.

Thanks for the info on the rods and checking them.

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (4/13/2013 8:09 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.