FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2013 9:21 PM  #1

I just ordered a new ELECTRIC FAN !!!!

Not for anything I really want to keep, mind you, but the one on the 2011 Ford Flex went out this morning and I had to go rescue Sherry in rush hour traffic when it overheated.  Mind you, if it had a BELT DRIVEN FAN, it would never have gone out. 

Not knowing exactly what the problem was, I took the car to the Ford dealer for $89.95 diagnostics.  Flex has problems with radiator fans plus the computer's fan controller gizmo... already been recalled once for that.  They called this evening and wanted just over $800 to replace it.

Meantime, I had checked prices online for the very same Motorcraft RF273 fan.  All I can say is that those suckers must be failing right and left as there were 20+ different vendors on ebay selling them  and everybody from OReillys to RockAuto and every discount Ford dealer online stocks them.

Ford dealer price $484 plus expensive installation.$800 + total
OReilly price $320
Amazon price $235
RockAuto price $227 shipped
Rock Auto price for knockoff brand TYC $106

I ordered one from Rock Auto.  There is an online Flex Forum, believe it or not, and one guy posted detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove and reinstall the fan.  He said it took him 45 minutes.  So, $227 from Rock Auto and $89.95 from the dealer for diagnosis and the total is $317 for a part that I would never voluntarily purchase. 

The fan assembly contains two fans, one for rad and one for AC.  What are the chances BOTH failed at once?  I bet it is some stupid solder joint or loose gizwhidget in there.  If it was my car, I would fiddle with it, or just hotwire the fan motor.  But NOOOOOO, the things we do to keep that whine from coming out of the front seat...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/15/2013 9:30 PM  #2

Re: I just ordered a new ELECTRIC FAN !!!!

Yea, just went through that with my wife's Escape and the Hatch latch. Could have fixed it with a $6.00 universal part from the local parts store, but opted for the Genuine Ford part at $176.00 so I don't have to hear about it for ever.

11/15/2013 9:37 PM  #3

try napa or oreilly to price match the TYC,, I found that Oreilly and Napa both carry TYC  ( it's the one they sell anyway) 

11/15/2013 9:55 PM  #4

Never heard of TYC.  Probably lasts forever since I bought the Ford version.

11/16/2013 12:04 PM  #5

Just a question and maybe info  for  myself if/when the  fans crap out on Jean's Edge.

Did you try turning on the AC to get the AC fan going?  If it worked that might be a good "limp home" solution.  If not you are prolly right.  Bad connection, like maybe the ground wire as that is common to both fans.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/16/2013 4:08 PM  #6

Yep, first thing I told her on the phone was TURN ON AC and see if it gets cooler.  Well, that just made more lights and warnings come on so I told her to shut it off.  The AC fan does work, though.  Just not the cooling fan.  Not sure why that would not cool the radiator since it was only about 45-50 degrees outside when this happened.  I was able to duplicate the problem in the driveway today.

If this was an extra vehicle, I would have disassembled it, thrown some RTV and hammer marks on it and just fixed it.  But, it is the main family vehicle and needs to be ready to roll at all times, so I decided to just throw new parts at it.

Believe me, I will be expert on disassembling Flex electric fans once this is over with and, if I find out it is some stupid wire or relay that is causing inop, Ford will get some nasty letters and I will let all those non-mechanical types on the FLEX FORUM kow that they might have an alternative to paying the dealer $865 to have their fans replaced.

11/16/2013 7:39 PM  #7

Well Steve, I thought you broke down and maybe you were puting one in your car, you have said over the years you would never go to a electric fan for your car

1968 Coupe 289 C-4 Dave

11/17/2013 8:07 PM  #8

Had to replace the electric fan for the a.c. condensor on my dodge ram 1500,  It is made so that you have to move the underhood fuse panel and disconnect the a.c. hoses.

Wonder what they charge for that?  By moving the fuse panel and trimming the electric fan shroud to elimate unhooking the a.c. lines I got it installed in about 1.5 hours and the fan was only about $100,

11/18/2013 8:41 AM  #9

I figure the post-mortum autopsy will likely reveal some $3.00 part that is causing the whole thing to malfunction.  Sensing some future rebuild opportunities if I can sign up an electrical guru to come up with a fix.

Heck fire, man, there must be dozens of people who bought Flexes and will need them on the road again!

11/18/2013 9:19 AM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

Yep, first thing I told her on the phone was TURN ON AC and see if it gets cooler.  Well, that just made more lights and warnings come on so I told her to shut it off.  The AC fan does work, though.  Just not the cooling fan.  Not sure why that would not cool the radiator since it was only about 45-50 degrees outside when this happened.  I was able to duplicate the problem in the driveway today.

If this was an extra vehicle, I would have disassembled it, thrown some RTV and hammer marks on it and just fixed it.  But, it is the main family vehicle and needs to be ready to roll at all times, so I decided to just throw new parts at it.

Believe me, I will be expert on disassembling Flex electric fans once this is over with and, if I find out it is some stupid wire or relay that is causing inop, Ford will get some nasty letters and I will let all those non-mechanical types on the FLEX FORUM kow that they might have an alternative to paying the dealer $865 to have their fans replaced.

I would have to say that this is NOT money you will enjoy wasting!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/18/2013 11:18 AM  #11

Folks,
   I don't see why you guys find these experiences so puzzling.  Have you not read the numerous Murphy's Law books?  At least four of them were written by Murphy as he stood and watched over my shoulder. 
   I've been off the forum for a few months due to some remodeling requests from my bride and a bad virus in the computer in addition to generating a few more chapters for Murphy's newest publication.  Good to be back.
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

11/18/2013 5:22 PM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

I figure the post-mortum autopsy will likely reveal some $3.00 part that is causing the whole thing to malfunction.  Sensing some future rebuild opportunities if I can sign up an electrical guru to come up with a fix.

If nothing obvious materializes from the post mortem, send it to me (CET).  I've been repairing instrument clusters when possible for a garage down the street from me. More than likely there is an scr with a pulsed driver IC.   Just might get lucky (and the wife has an 09 Edge....)

John

11/18/2013 6:00 PM  #13

Al Newman wrote:

Folks,
   I don't see why you guys find these experiences so puzzling.  Have you not read the numerous Murphy's Law books?  At least four of them were written by Murphy as he stood and watched over my shoulder. 
   I've been off the forum for a few months due to some remodeling requests from my bride and a bad virus in the computer in addition to generating a few more chapters for Murphy's newest publication.  Good to be back.
Best,
Al

Good to hear you are back with us, Al Newman!  We weren't WORRIED in the least that you would be back!   Pics are from 2010 Bash in Cedar Hill, TX.  Al was flippin' burgers and hot dogs!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.