FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2013 6:30 PM  #1

My quest for a 427 fender badge for the 66

These are all the emblems I have been collecting trying to find just the right letters to replace 289 with 427 on my 66 fender badges.  I looked all over for some small 1/2" tall chrome numbers.  You can buy 1" or larger all day long, but I could not find any in 1/2" size.

Started out with the 289 HIPO emblems that were on the car before the crash.  I figured if I bought some of those Scott Drake 347 emblems, I could use the FOUR from the 347, the TWO from the 289 and the SEVEN from the 347 to make up the 427 letters.

Of course, Murphy stepped in.  Drake saw fit to use a different font in their 347 numerals than Ford originally used.  Plan foiled. 

Then I saw some Scott Drake 302 emblems and figured the TWO from those would match the FOUR and SEVEN from the 347 emblems.  Surely their aftermarket 302 and aftermarket 347 emblems used the same font.  Wrong again.  Yet another different font on the 302 emblems.  So, forget using those.

So, all I needed was some 1/2" tall 427 numbers, so I started buying emblems that appeared to be just about right.  That is where the gold colored Galaxie 427 emblems came in.  Due to positioning and color of the letters, that plan went out the window.

Then I found some NOS Ford 69 Torino 427 emblems on ebay.  Ever heard of a 427 69 Torino?  I don't think they ever existed.  So, the emblems were pretty rare, and I jut had to have them.  They proved to be a possibility, but just not quite right for the job, as the letters were too flat against the background.  Hated to cut up such rare pieces anyway.

So, browsing ebay looking for something with 427 on it, I came across a damaged 66 Corvette 427 Turbo Jet emblem, so I bought it.  Turns out the letters are perfect for the job, and I think I can even use the chrome horizontal line on them to blend into the old 289 emblem so they look original.  Well, you have to have two of them to do the job, so I started watching for another one.  Some came up for sale but at ridiculous prices, so I bought a pair of brand new reproductions instead.  Now I can use the broken one for practice and then figure out how to carefully cut them and fit them onto the former 347 emblems.  The 347 seems to be the easiest one to cut up.  I will be using the HIPO badges behind the emblem and 427 numbers to have something to attach them to.

Next I ordered some jeweler's metal cutting saws that will cut nice straight lines and some that will allow tight scroll type cuts.  The tab is getting larger all the time for these emblems, but I think the final result will be worth the effort, IF my jeweler's skills pan out.  This type of work is not something I am very good at.

AND I GUARANTEE the day I slap these on my car, Scott Drake will come out with a 427 emblem that is the nicest thing you have ever seen.  Murphy said so!

I'll post some more pics when I get farther along on these.

It's been hard keeping really busy lately.  Fastback is pretty much done, with just tinkering left to do. I worked so hard on that car every single day to get it ready for the bash, that it is weird to actually be able to drive it.  The 66 F-100 is at the body shop getting painted so I can't work on it.  These emblems should keep me busy after I fill my orders and do my shipping in the mornings.  Heck, I even iinstalled some lights in the kitchen that Sherry bought SEVEN years ago.  Glad THAT is over.  I should have kept count of the number of times it was suggested that I get those installed.  I have even considered doing some of the other stuff she has wanted done since we moved in here in 2007.  But then, considered it again and went back to the garage.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/18/2013 8:47 PM  #2

Re: My quest for a 427 fender badge for the 66

Wish you had told me you needed a jewelers saw. I would had loaned you my jewelery toolbox, saved you time and money. How are you going to join this Frankenstein collection of badge parts together? Silver solder? Braze? TIG? What kind of metal are badges made of?

11/18/2013 9:10 PM  #3

It will likely be JB Weld or MSR.  That is where the HIPO badge comes into play.  It gives a flat mounting surface for the new piece.

Do you have one of those flat disc sander tables?  Will it sand pot metal?

11/19/2013 9:16 AM  #4

Yes, I have a disc sander, and yes, it sands metal nicely. Come on down!

11/19/2013 10:56 AM  #5

Cobbling them all together may be fun, but if you want them to last, I would suggest making a mold and casting some aluminum badges. You can make spares that way as well.

You could cast zinc or tin as well, it melts at a much lower temperature, but you will have the same corosion issues as the factory pieces. And they would need to be plated. Aluminum can easily take a polish and would look good for years to come.

If interested, I can send you information on how to make a charcoal powered furnace out of a popcorn tin to melt your cans down for the pour. I made several pieces for my truck that way.

BobN

11/19/2013 12:16 PM  #6

There is a 1967 impala that has a plain 427 on the fender  rare car only called a chevy 427 no impala emblems on it.   

11/19/2013 12:39 PM  #7

MS, Using Chevy logo numbers or even T-Bird just doesn't seem fitting.
I think it's time to have a bit of machining done. Fer instance take a rectangular blank that would fit on a Mustang Hi-Po badge. Machine out the 427 and paint numbers, Black or Red.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/19/2013 12:56 PM  #8

Well, at least its cheaper than buying mufflers

11/19/2013 1:06 PM  #9

Don wrote:

There is a 1967 impala that has a plain 427 on the fender  rare car only called a chevy 427 no impala emblems on it.   

Don, I looked at those already.  Perfect 427 lettering, only they are 1" tall.

11/19/2013 1:12 PM  #10

I had the same dillema with my 331 and after toying with some of the ideas that you mentioned, I just cut up a already produced set of numbres and used 3M tape to install them. They were bigger than I wanted but it ended up being not too gaudy.

You get  someone with a CNC mill to machine the 289 off of the emblem and then have them write up a program for the 427 numbers and machine a billet inlay out of stainless steel to put into the original emblem.
Might only cost a couple of hundred bucks.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.