FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2013 8:25 PM  #1

Pony seat foam and covers?

It's time to replace my ancient cloth insert seat covers.  They don't match the new paint and they've definitely seen better days.  Can I use the same seat frames and buy pony foam and pony covers?  I'm digging the black and white pony set, and I need new front seat foam anyway.  It looks like the frames are the same but I was curious if anyone had done this.  Thanks!

12/11/2013 8:50 PM  #2

Re: Pony seat foam and covers?

Yes the bolsters are just bigger

12/11/2013 9:34 PM  #3

This is the sport version from TMI.  Note the larger side bolsters and seat bolsters.  This is the one I am putting in my F-100.  Makes the seat much better than the stock pony buns and covers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/12/2013 6:29 AM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

This is the sport version from TMI.  Note the larger side bolsters and seat bolsters.  This is the one I am putting in my F-100.  Makes the seat much better than the stock pony buns and covers.

That's the exact set I was planning on using in my coupe.  The frames are in decent shape but I wanted to be sure they'd accept the pony foam and covers cleanly.  Thanks!

4/21/2014 7:48 PM  #5

Anybody have a suggestion on the best place to order from?

4/21/2014 8:25 PM  #6

You could order straight from
Tmi and can order any color combo you want

4/21/2014 8:30 PM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

You could order straight from
Tmi and can order any color combo you want

Are you sure? I thought you had to order through a dealer.

Edit: Just went to their website, and you are correct, however prices are higher than suppliers like CJPony..
I'd like to avoid them, however in light of others experiences.

Last edited by darren (4/21/2014 8:34 PM)

4/21/2014 8:43 PM  #8

I just looked - find your seats, select style options from the full list as Yamaha mentioned, add to cart, and check out.  You can also select a dealer but found that the dealer locator didn't work with Chrome but it did with IE.  Great place to shop and figure out exactly what you need and then either go direct or find a dealer.

Beat me to the punch - sometimes it is better to pay the price and deal directly with the producer and eliminate the third party.

Last edited by GPatrick (4/21/2014 8:44 PM)

4/22/2014 5:25 AM  #9

Stay away from Mustangs Unlimited. I bought some TMI covers from them and their customer service is less than stellar. So far I'm happy with the seat covers I got thru them from TMI though.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

4/22/2014 6:22 AM  #10

Call Glen or Steve at Steve's Mustang!  Glen is a member here!  You can call TMI and they will help you decide what you need and also provide advice on installing.  I covered a set of 89 foxbody seats with the pony covers.  Look like they belong!
http://stevesmustangparts.com/store/

4/22/2014 9:04 AM  #11

Somewhat off topic, but I am also in the process of buying seat covers, and I like the TMI stuff. Having said this, my original seats are not deluxe, they were originally just crinkle black on black. I do really like the pony interior and want to got with the infamous running ponies, just how blaspemous is this? I think since I am doing other restomods this seems like an obvious sweet upgrade.?

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/22/2014 12:57 PM  #12

devovino wrote:

Somewhat off topic, but I am also in the process of buying seat covers, and I like the TMI stuff. Having said this, my original seats are not deluxe, they were originally just crinkle black on black. I do really like the pony interior and want to got with the infamous running ponies, just how blaspemous is this? I think since I am doing other restomods this seems like an obvious sweet upgrade.?

Well, they won't let you enter your car in the Concours Restored Class, but that is about the only downside that I can see.

4/22/2014 1:26 PM  #13

devovino wrote:

Two things I like to remember...
1 - It's YOUR Car...
2 - There are a lot of ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT vehicles in the Junk Yard.

My 70 Mach is Vermillion (Calypso Coral) and it came from the Factory with Vermillion Interior. I was told... Don't change it because it is SO RARE. Not many came that way. Then I figured out the reason why... The car is Orange and the Interior is RED. Not a great combo. So I changed it to the way I wanted MY Car... Just sayin.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/22/2014 1:54 PM  #14

Mach1_Ron wrote:

devovino wrote:

1 - It's YOUR Car...
2 - There are a lot of ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT vehicles in the Junk Yard.

My 70 Mach is Vermillion (Calypso Coral) and it came from the Factory with Vermillion Interior. I was told... Don't change it because it is SO RARE. Not many came that way. Then I figured out the reason why... The car is Orange and the Interior is RED. Not a great combo. So I changed it to the way I wanted MY Car... Just sayin.

This is true, I dont think I ever had any delusion of grandeour, or any notions to enter my car into "Concours Restored Class", so I should be ok...
 As for it being MY CAR! I agree, I am going to do what appeals to me, and it is the Running ponies, so there it is, so be it!  Probably a few clicks away from ordering these interior as I am trying to prioritize everything, but Pony Interior is the way to go, why not...
JVince, I hope to be able to reuse the existing frames as well, from what I can see they are still solid, but the sliders that rest on the floor/carpet and bolt to the seat risers are pretty rusty, so I imagine I would need to replace these, and hope to be able to find them at TMI, or Year one or somewhere.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/22/2014 2:56 PM  #15

Mach1_Ron wrote:

devovino wrote:

1 - It's YOUR Car...
2 - There are a lot of ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT vehicles in the Junk Yard..?

I enjoyed what you said.  A friend of mine had an 'Emberglo' car. (code V)
He thought he had gold because it was only offered one year ('66),
and not many of them came in that color.

4/22/2014 3:42 PM  #16

I had an Emberglo GT convertible with an Emberglo/Parchment pony interior once, I LOVED it.
I believe a member here has a Fastback similarly equipped...

Identical to the one in this link...
http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1966/1966_00103_07

4/22/2014 3:51 PM  #17

darren wrote:

I had an Emberglo GT convertible with an Emberglo/Parchment pony interior once, I LOVED it.
I believe a member here has a Fastback similarly equipped...

Identical to the one in this link...
http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1966/1966_00103_07

I know the guy with the fastback. it's a orginal emberglo GT with pony interior.  He kept the 4 speed for 15 years and then  added ps ac and a 5 speed. After he did that he keeps asking himself  WHY??  yes WHY did I wait 15 years to make up grades.  It's your car just have fun.   

4/22/2014 3:56 PM  #18

Ummm, yeah. Upgrades make the car way more enjoyable.

Had a guy email me on my FB thats on CL to tell me I "totally killed the value by making it non stock".
Like a C-code Fastback with 4 wheel manual  drum brakes, an AM radio, no A/C, manual windows and steering is more valuable than a car with all those things upgraded thats FUN to drive.

Definitely build it YOUR way.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.