FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2013 1:44 PM  #1

New Brake Line Pressure Test

Does anyone know how to bench test new brake lines for leakage to ensure that the double flares are being done right?
I would hate to make all my brake lines and come to find out that I made bad flares.

Thanks

12/13/2013 6:23 PM  #2

Re: New Brake Line Pressure Test

If the flares look concentric with the tubing and you did not overtighten the second step of the process, they will be fine.  Otherwise, hook them up to a master cylinder, bleed the line and cap the far end.  Pump the mc and see what happens.  A waste of time and brake fluid, IMHO.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/14/2013 10:00 AM  #3

Since I use the MS method and do not over flair the double flair and let the actual torquing of the tuboe onto the actual fitting in place do the final setting of the flair so it mates perfectly with the fitting is to be used on, I never have a leak. I do make sure the flair is even (I understand this word) when I take it off of the flair tool. If any part of the flair is uneven or off set, I do it over. As with most things, preparation is everything. The cut must be square and properly deburred. A little attention to detail and it is easy. The hardest part should be remembering to put the proper flair nut/fitting on in the correct direction!

12/14/2013 3:51 PM  #4

I did have a leak on one of my front lines after I had put it in. I was able to cut it off an flare it on the car. Just unbolted the holder and pulled it away from the car enough to work on.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/14/2013 8:31 PM  #5

I used a sharp 3/16" drill bit to deburr the tubing ID.  Then make sure the end cut is square.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/14/2013 10:28 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

I used a sharp 3/16" drill bit to deburr the tubing ID.  Then make sure the end cut is square.

And...don't forget to use a little air pressure to blow the chips out of the line.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/14/2013 10:32 PM  #7

ditto!

square cut, deburr, concentric flair

and...DO NOT over tighten when you are rolling over the flair. Let torquing the fitting set the flair on assembly.

12/15/2013 11:22 AM  #8

Thanks everyone.
Dont overtighten the last flair, deburr real good, end cut is square and patience.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.