FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2014 4:42 PM  #1

65 fastback body gap dimensions

I took dimensions of the 65 GT fastback I was going to buy because all the panels seemed to line up really well.  Well... the factory apparently was not too concerned with getting them all perfect, but they did it to where the car looked straight.  The car presents well, but man was I surprised at the data.
DTE = door trailing edge
DLE = door leading edge.
I also was surprised at the gaps between the cowl and the fenders.
Dimensions are in inches.  Sorry about the sloppy handwriting.  It was windy out there and hard to write using a knee as a desk.
Hope this helps you with your next build.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/24/2014 4:48 PM  #2

Re: 65 fastback body gap dimensions

well I guess my lazy eyed dimensions during my panel install seem to be not bad,, well maybe not as bad as i thought     

2/24/2014 6:02 PM  #3

Kinda off topic, but do any of you other old guys remember a car commercial in the 80s where a car was mounted on a rotisserie, and they put a ball bearing in the door gap and rotated the car around letting the ball roll in the gaps?
I remember being impressed at the time.
Tried to find it online, but couldn't.

2/24/2014 6:20 PM  #4

darren wrote:

Kinda off topic, but do any of you other old guys remember a car commercial in the 80s where a car was mounted on a rotisserie, and they put a ball bearing in the door gap and rotated the car around letting the ball roll in the gaps?
I remember being impressed at the time.
Tried to find it online, but couldn't.

I don't know if this makes me a, "other old guy" but, I remember the advertisement you are talking about. The advertisement came out in 1992 showing how tight the body tolerances of the Lexus ES 300 were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AktHnnA9QIM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2/24/2014 7:02 PM  #5

One of our very own FYIFORD members was the one they used to work over the gaps on that car for that commercial.  Take a bow, Greg.

2/24/2014 8:32 PM  #6

Yep, thats it. 1992, guess I'm not as old as I thought I am.
Thanks for the link.

2/24/2014 9:54 PM  #7

Thanks!   Lexus made the original famous commercial.  The company I worked for parodied that commercial.   I hand set 5 pearl white cars that were used for the commercial, and the magazine ads and the Motor Trend or Car and Driver test vehicle.   I was even given a ball bearing when given the assignment.  (and a dial caliper)  and like I mentioned the other day, everyone on the body in white assembly line was issued a taper gauge.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoRNU17JyE     

I cant find the ball bearing commercial, but pause it at 17 seconds and look at those door gaps, baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YhT6DBtyIM   
Its possible this was the final version of the ball bearing parody idea.   I just got the cars ready for the media.  I had no further involvement.  I didnt watch a lot of tv back then, because I pretty much lived in there, so I never even saw this commercial until tonight.   

Last edited by Greg B (2/24/2014 10:26 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/24/2014 9:59 PM  #8

Well, I guess that 65 goes to show you that the gaps don't need to be perfect to have a great looking car. Heck, it impressed MS which I don't think is easy.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/25/2014 4:42 PM  #9

They did a parody on SNL around that time.  The marble went into a hole on the fender, clanked around for about 30 seconds, then came out the bottom.  Good stuff.

2/25/2014 5:17 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

I took dimensions of the 65 GT fastback I was going to buy because all the panels seemed to line up really well.  Well... the factory apparently was not too concerned with getting them all perfect, but they did it to where the car looked straight.  The car presents well, but man was I surprised at the data.
DTE = door trailing edge
DLE = door leading edge.
Dimensions are in inches.  Sorry about the sloppy handwriting.  It was windy out there and hard to write using a knee as a desk.

Does the trunk really go from .156 to .010 or did you write that wrong. I can;t believe that it would go from 5/32 to almost nothing. Or am I reading something wrong?

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

2/25/2014 6:02 PM  #11

Alan wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

DTE = door trailing edge
DLE = door leading edge.

Does the trunk really go from .156 to .010 or did you write that wrong. I can;t believe that it would go from 5/32 to almost nothing. Or am I reading something wrong?

That was the dimension.  The decklid was way different each side. Weird thing was it aligned perfect with both quarter end caps across the back.   I think I actually padded that number a bit.  It was actually less than. 0.010" on that side.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.