FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 12:36 PM  #1

302 going back together... boring for most of you I suppose!

Well, here's my 302 going back together.  Please ignore if this is uninteresting.

Checking ring clearance to allow for expansion/contraction...

Assembling oil rings on pistons...

Ready to go...

The crank and cam have been installed.  I suppose will be installing pistons, lifters and heads tonight.

4/10/2014 12:55 PM  #2

Re: 302 going back together... boring for most of you I suppose!

Looks like you know what you're doing there Lance.  Nothing like doing your own work.  Best part is when it goes rumpity-rump.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/10/2014 12:56 PM  #3

Yep... That is always fun.  We could buy crate motors (engines for Corky), but building them yourself is more fun.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/10/2014 4:14 PM  #4

Why would we think its boring, we like pictures!   My only advice is when you put those pistons back in, notice one side of the rods has chamfers, and the other side is straight.   Machinists have been known to mess that up when pressing the rods on the pistons.  Double check all the little things like that!

I would suppose you did not remove the rods from the pistons on this teardown, so if there was a problem, it would have been there for a while anyhow.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/10/2014 5:14 PM  #5

Lance, my job is boring but.....I keep going back.......

Your engine build post is not boring.........I'll keep coming back so, keep on posting more pic's........

4/11/2014 8:13 AM  #6

Pistons in place, paired lifters sitting in place on the cam.  Before you call me out on it, we were debating about leaving the paired lifters in this orientation.  The connecting bars clear everything, and actually seem more "out of the way".  However, every time I've ever seen them pictured, the connection segment, was oriented away from the cylinder, so that's ultimately what I did. 

Again, the pairs of connected lifters were ultimately oriented 180 from how they are pictured.

The underside of the Windsor Jr. heads.  Man they rust fast!  All valves and seats were re-ground just because we were there, why not?

Here are the upgraded springs.  The oldies were not what we had ordered, but these are rated at over 200 lbs, so they should do the trick.  The shop chose to mill the sping platform into the head a bit to keep them from standing too tall.  Intake and exhaust ports were matched by yours truly... I had never done that before.  Not sure how much difference it made, but it was done.

Last night, we torqued down the heads using marine gaskets on the block.  Placed the push rods and torqued down the 1.7 roller rockers.  Didn't get a picture of that yet.  There are so many details, (like the piston rod bevel orientation), that you can get wrong if you're not super careful.  If I didn't have someone that had done this hundreds of times, I can guarantee you this would be all kids of broken before I ever cranked it over.  Thank God for good friends!

4/11/2014 10:20 AM  #7

Have you ever noticed that the water ports on those heads do not match up at all with the ones in the block?  The ones nearest the intake side of the head...
The upper ports on the heads do line up with the steam holes...

Never paid much attention to it before, but that subject came up recently and made me think of it.

Are they supposed to line up port-port, or port-steam hole?

Not saying anything is wrong... Just asking a question that maybe somebody has the answer to.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2014 12:19 PM  #8

I tend, mostly out of ignorance, to write that off as the manufacturer trying to make one part fit multiple applications.  Then I say a little prayer that I'm right.

4/11/2014 12:59 PM  #9

great job,, fyi when I was this point I took the rotating mass and had it balanced at a machine/ speed shop. I was surpriced how much they had to do to balance everything.  Just a thing most don't do.  

4/11/2014 7:03 PM  #10

Lance, a good time  to install a new balancer...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/11/2014 10:49 PM  #11

Time for a lesson... If everything were smooth before, and all the same components are going back in, why a new balancer? You may have thought some of these were new goodies. I had him straighten two rods that were barely bent from the hydro locking, and the valve springs are new.  I bet I misled you as if this were a new build.  If I do need a new balancer, please explain.  I appreciate you looking out for me.

I didn't take pictures because my fingers were black, but the engine was buttoned up enough I painted it on the stand tonight. Satin black. 

By the way, my machinist recognized the windage tray and oil pan as being off a boss 302. Isn't that weird!

Lance

4/12/2014 5:34 AM  #12

Lance wrote:

Time for a lesson... If everything were smooth before, and all the same components are going back in, why a new balancer? You may have thought some of these were new goodies. I had him straighten two rods that were barely bent from the hydro locking, and the valve springs are new. I bet I misled you as if this were a new build. If I do need a new balancer, please explain. I appreciate you looking out for me.

I didn't take pictures because my fingers were black, but the engine was buttoned up enough I painted it on the stand tonight. Satin black.

By the way, my machinist recognized the windage tray and oil pan as being off a boss 302. Isn't that weird!

Lance

Lance the reason I mentioned a new balancer is the typical original type balancers can become unclocked giving you a false timing setting....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/14/2014 5:42 PM  #13

Well last night the Mustang engine breathed it's first breaths after the rebuild.  Getting the engine in there was a challenge.  I hadn't dropped the transmission or exhaust when removing the engine, so getting it back in there was unusually difficult.  Spent at least 45 minutes on something that should have taken five.  Ended up disconnecting the exhaust hangers and scooting it back in tact to get the flanges out of the way.  Powered up the electric fuel pump and cranked it over... It started almost like it haadn't been apart.  A few minor differences though, it sounded "crisper", if that makes any sense.  The only difference is the valve springs being double the tension, and the new oil pump, just because.  Didn't take it out and run it because we didn't have the cooling system running yet.  Oil pressure was 75-80 even at idle, and that with 10W-30 oil.  Bill used a painter's pressure pot to prime the engine with filtered oil through the oil pressure sensor port.  I thought that was clever.  The Hydraulic throwout bearing is operational and feels good, although it's awfully close to the floor.  Will need to tweak that adjustment a bit.  Worked like a charm in the garage back and fourth.  All in all, it was a good evening!

Tonight we'll complete the re-assembly and take it out for it's maiden voyage.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Wish me luck!

4/20/2014 8:16 PM  #14

Today was Easter Sunday... Sunny and 78° here in O'Fallon, IL. So, I took the car out for a more thorough flogging this afternoon.  Been slowly working out the bugs for the last week or so.  This was the day I meant to treat it like we tend to drive it and see if it would handle it. I'm ready to declare my mustang is back and stronger than I remember.

The heads were shaved just a bit, and I wouldn't have imagined it would make a difference, but the low end was a tad stronger. The top end glided up to 7 grand with no vibration, and it was still pushing. Gone are the limitations of the lighter springs.  I may never know what might limit it now, the hydraulic cam, some of you have said.  I'll never have it up there to find out. As many of you have said, there's just no need to spin that fast. But it is fun!

The hydraulic clutch and internal throughout bearing works like a dream. I've got it adjusted to engage right where I want it to being careful not to allow any pre-load. Took forever to bleed!  I've posted pics on a host site, but this site doesn't cooperate well with my iPad.  I'll post them later. Just wanted to thank you all for your support and keep you in the loop.

Lance

4/20/2014 8:22 PM  #15

Sweeet deal Lance!
7 grand,huh?!
  How 'bout refresh my memory what size camshaft you have. Bet its prety long on duration,huh!?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/20/2014 8:48 PM  #16

I never quite know how to manage all the wires.  Some of you have such neat and clean engine bays.  Not even my plug wires look orderly.

Note the reservoir on the far side above the washer fluid sack.  Going back together, the pulleys gave me more trouble than anything else.  The AC belt kept crawling off.  I had to shim around on things to get them to track correctly.

The pedals all look even and clean.  I depress the clutch pedal about 3/4" before I hit anything remotely solid.  I guess it's the rubber boot on the clutch master that holds it all the way out.

The picture is obviously a little crooked, but this is the clutch master lever canted off the side of the clutch pedal.  It uses the factory hole in the pedal, and requires a new trio of holes just under the electrical plug in the firewall.  This was the most tedious portion of the hydraulic conversion.  I hate crawling under that dash!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.  I'm really struggling with whether I want to mess with such a well running car to play with the EFI manifold.  I'd have fun with the complete control of tuning a PCM, but can't imagine it running more smoothly than this setup.  I've got all summer to think about it.

Hey Sal,  This one's for you... Direct from the Summit Racing site where I bought it.  I don't speak cam like you do, but here it is.  I believe this is built for 1.6 Rockers but I have 1.7 instead.

Last edited by Lance (4/21/2014 5:17 AM)

4/20/2014 8:57 PM  #17

Sal,

Here's my cam!

Can't  read the print on the picture I put on there before.

4/21/2014 3:36 PM  #18

Lance, there should have been a "Cam Card" come with the cam.  It will have a bunch of useful info.  If your springs are the ones specified, the real important bit of info - "Valve Float RPM" - will be valid no matter what ratio rocker arms you use.  If you exceed that RPM, things will get expensive fast.
Seeing what you've done to that engine, it ought to be a strong runner.  Lookin' good.
Enjoy

4/22/2014 8:24 AM  #19

Lance wrote:

I never quite know how to manage all the wires.  Some of you have such neat and clean engine bays.  Not even my plug wires look orderly.

Note the reservoir on the far side above the washer fluid sack.  Going back together, the pulleys gave me more trouble than anything else.  The AC belt kept crawling off.  I had to shim around on things to get them to track correctly.

The pedals all look even and clean.  I depress the clutch pedal about 3/4" before I hit anything remotely solid.  I guess it's the rubber boot on the clutch master that holds it all the way out.

The picture is obviously a little crooked, but this is the clutch master lever canted off the side of the clutch pedal.  It uses the factory hole in the pedal, and requires a new trio of holes just under the electrical plug in the firewall.  This was the most tedious portion of the hydraulic conversion.  I hate crawling under that dash!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.  I'm really struggling with whether I want to mess with such a well running car to play with the EFI manifold.  I'd have fun with the complete control of tuning a PCM, but can't imagine it running more smoothly than this setup.  I've got all summer to think about it.

Hey Sal,  This one's for you... Direct from the Summit Racing site where I bought it.  I don't speak cam like you do, but here it is.  I believe this is built for 1.6 Rockers but I have 1.7 instead.

Can't quite make it out, but are you using a power brake booster with your hyd clutch?  If so, what kind of setup do you have?  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/22/2014 8:44 AM  #20

I am running on Granada spindles, and followed the advice of the Granada groupies out there in the "inter-web".  As I recall, the brake master was from a 74 Gremlin or something similar, and the booster was borrowed from a 2001 V-6 Mustang or similar.  I should really check on this stuff BEFORE I start answering questions.  The install of the clutch master was super tight with that booster.  In fact, I chose to slot the four pedal web and booster mounting holes as well as the pass-thru for the brake rod inboard about 1/4" so the two weren't leaning on one another.  If you need me to ID that booster more precisely, let me know.  I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.  I believe I bought Steve's plans, which may be how I stumbled onto his wonderful forum.

Lance

4/22/2014 9:26 AM  #21

Lance wrote:

I am running on Granada spindles, and followed the advice of the Granada groupies out there in the "inter-web".  As I recall, the brake master was from a 74 Gremlin or something similar, and the booster was borrowed from a 2001 V-6 Mustang or similar.  I should really check on this stuff BEFORE I start answering questions.  The install of the clutch master was super tight with that booster.  In fact, I chose to slot the four pedal web and booster mounting holes as well as the pass-thru for the brake rod inboard about 1/4" so the two weren't leaning on one another.  If you need me to ID that booster more precisely, let me know.  I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.  I believe I bought Steve's plans, which may be how I stumbled onto his wonderful forum.

Thanks.  I'm just starting to try to work out how I'm going to combine PBs with a hyd clutch and am looking at all the possibilities.  What kind of clutch MC and pedal linkage did you use?  Thanks.

Lance

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/22/2014 10:30 AM  #22

I bought a kit from Modern Driveline that included their neat little levering mechanism that atatched to the existing clutch pedal, a master cylinder, (one easily replaced, not purpose built), lines, and a clutch bearing, whether you decide to an internal throwout bearing or an external lever pusher.  Kit was complete, instructions were adequate.  The only thing that made it complicated was me.  It was really fairly easy.  Go to his website where he gives a pretty good description of why he built the thing the way he did.  Pretty well thought out.  Of course, time will tell how well the thing holds up!

Lance

4/22/2014 5:41 PM  #23

BTW Lance, I hope no one on this forum thinks what your are doing is "Boring".  I think you are doing a fine job.  Keep up the good work!
Good Luck

4/26/2014 9:06 PM  #24

Lance wrote:

Well last night the Mustang engine breathed it's first breaths after the rebuild.  Getting the engine in there was a challenge.  I hadn't dropped the transmission or exhaust when removing the engine, so getting it back in there was unusually difficult.  Spent at least 45 minutes on something that should have taken five.  Ended up disconnecting the exhaust hangers and scooting it back in tact to get the flanges out of the way.  Powered up the electric fuel pump and cranked it over... It started almost like it haadn't been apart.  A few minor differences though, it sounded "crisper", if that makes any sense.  The only difference is the valve springs being double the tension, and the new oil pump, just because.  Didn't take it out and run it because we didn't have the cooling system running yet.  Oil pressure was 75-80 even at idle, and that with 10W-30 oil.  Bill used a painter's pressure pot to prime the engine with filtered oil through the oil pressure sensor port.  I thought that was clever.  The Hydraulic throwout bearing is operational and feels good, although it's awfully close to the floor.  Will need to tweak that adjustment a bit.  Worked like a charm in the garage back and fourth.  All in all, it was a good evening!

Tonight we'll complete the re-assembly and take it out for it's maiden voyage.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Wish me luck!

How many shims did the hydraulic bearing take?   How do you bleed the bearing?  Thanks Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.