FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 9:52 AM  #1

extra set of eye's

Hello All,
I need some help from a local fella in the DFW area. I'm in the final stages of purchasing a 67 mustang (future bash thrasher), and even though I know these cars inside and out I would love to have an extra set of eyes going over the car with me during my final inspection.
For anyone willing I will buy lunch, or pay for your gas and time; whatever you feel is reasonable. So here's the catch, the deal goes down on Monday so that only leaves later this afternoon, Friday eve., or an agreed upon time with the seller Saturday or Sunday.
The car is literally 10min. away from the Pate swap meet in the town of Justin and we will be using the neighbors lift.
If you can help me out let me know a date and time and I will verify with the seller and get back to you.

TIA,
John

Last edited by HenryJ (4/24/2014 9:53 AM)

4/24/2014 9:58 AM  #2

Re: extra set of eye's

Here is a pic.

4/24/2014 11:29 AM  #3

I'd just make yourself ah list of things to check out.  When your standing there wheel'in and deal'in and makin small talk with people, somtimes you forget to look for simple stuff.......#1 bring ah gallon of water to poor into the cowl to see how bad, Ah eer,  IF leaks.. #2 bring ah refrigerator magnet to check for bondo.. #3 bring ah quarter to check tire wear.... #4 ,Drive the car ,check to see how much play there is in the steering, make sure it stops, and goes.... #5 make sure the wiring isn't held together with duct tape..Or anything else for that matter... You know the usual stuff

It's hard to type "funny"

4/24/2014 12:30 PM  #4

not close enough to help out but that is a pretty car there.

4/24/2014 1:02 PM  #5

Theres a group of mustang nuts meeting at the waffle house on fri morning near pate.  You know them, they were at the mustang steve party.  Can you bring this car to pate parking lot we could meet you there and tear into this thing,, just kidding I think it's a good car but the STEVE group needs to look it over. 
 Idealy bring it over to Waffle house on 114 fri at 9 am, Steve is buying everyone breakfast and then we can give the "EYEBALL".  

Last edited by Don (4/24/2014 1:07 PM)

4/24/2014 2:42 PM  #6

I'm no EXPERT, but I'd be able to go look at it with you tomorrow Afternoon sometime. I'm in Lewisville and get off of work at noonish. MY cell is 4six9-3five8-1seven3five

Let me know... Ron

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/24/2014 3:13 PM  #7

John,
I will be at Pate tomorrow as well. Give me a call. For those interested I am getting ride of a lot of '65 parts.
MWM

4/25/2014 5:00 PM  #8

Mach1_Ron wrote:

I'm no EXPERT, but I'd be able to go look at it with you tomorrow Afternoon sometime. I'm in Lewisville and get off of work at noonish. MY cell is 4six9-3five8-1seven3five

Let me know... Ron

Ron and William, thanks for the offer. I did go by today kinda last minute I got a phone call from another friend who said he could meet after work and the owner just happened to be home.
So we looked it over really good and there is just NO rust anywhere on this car, even the cowl checked out with 15min. of water running thru it. The underside is very solid with red oxide paint hidden beneath 47yo under coating. The body is very straight and the interior is very nice.

Now for the negative.
The one yr. old paint looks to be a pretty nice driver quality job with a few flaws here and there. It's never been color sanded and it would also need to be cut and buffed again. I'm actually ok with the paint job on this car, because we are going to drive the wheels of this thing. My only concern is I don't want it to deteriorate in a couple of years and have to redo it. I have huge apprehensions about paint work on a car that was fully intended to be flipped. I guess only time will tell.
I'm told the 289 was rebuilt and now has an autolite 4100 (1.12), and the tranny shifts as it should. However, there is a nasty stumble during take off and cruising speeds. Runs real nice when you're on the gas though. The car has power steering and seems to wonder a bit. I've never had a classic mustang with power steering, so I don't know if this is just the way they drive? I do know I don't like it and I'll have to address that issue right away. The brakes need to be bled, but I think the hard parts are in good shape according to the seller.
Over all the car looks fantastic and is an incredible rust free survivor with fresh paint and interior. His asking price is $29,500. I know I can handle all of the mechanical work it will need, but I don't want to get stuck adding a bunch of cash to my purchase price. My biggest concern is the stumble at idle and cruising speeds and mostly the way the car steers down the road. None of the front suspension and steering components are new, but they look to be in good condition.. Maybe a good alignment would correct some of the issues.

Last edited by HenryJ (4/25/2014 5:04 PM)

4/25/2014 10:09 PM  #9

HenryJ wrote:

Mach1_Ron wrote:

Let me know... Ron

Ron and William, thanks for the offer. I did go by today kinda last minute I got a phone call from another friend who said he could meet after work and the owner just happened to be home.
So we looked it over really good and there is just NO rust anywhere on this car, even the cowl checked out with 15min. of water running thru it. The underside is very solid with red oxide paint hidden beneath 47yo under coating. The body is very straight and the interior is very nice.

Now for the negative.
The one yr. old paint looks to be a pretty nice driver quality job with a few flaws here and there. It's never been color sanded and it would also need to be cut and buffed again. I'm actually ok with the paint job on this car, because we are going to drive the wheels of this thing. My only concern is I don't want it to deteriorate in a couple of years and have to redo it. I have huge apprehensions about paint work on a car that was fully intended to be flipped. I guess only time will tell.
I'm told the 289 was rebuilt and now has an autolite 4100 (1.12), and the tranny shifts as it should. However, there is a nasty stumble during take off and cruising speeds. Runs real nice when you're on the gas though. The car has power steering and seems to wonder a bit. I've never had a classic mustang with power steering, so I don't know if this is just the way they drive? I do know I don't like it and I'll have to address that issue right away. The brakes need to be bled, but I think the hard parts are in good shape according to the seller.
Over all the car looks fantastic and is an incredible rust free survivor with fresh paint and interior. His asking price is $29,500. I know I can handle all of the mechanical work it will need, but I don't want to get stuck adding a bunch of cash to my purchase price. My biggest concern is the stumble at idle and cruising speeds and mostly the way the car steers down the road. None of the front suspension and steering components are new, but they look to be in good condition.. Maybe a good alignment would correct some of the issues.

I was amazed how much better mine drove with a new center link and idler arm.  Mine is manual steer butt-eye added grease to the steering box(almost a WHOLE tube!) and that helped a lot too.(Thanx again BobC.)  Drives like a new 66!
Morale of the story.......sometimes its the small things that make a big diff!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2014 2:35 PM  #10

Update - I met the painter guy at the seller's house on Sunday to assess the flaw in the rear quarter panel. Apparently the seller and his buddy who does paintless dent repair worked out a small scuff in the lower rear quarter and an eraser head size paint bubble lifted from the primer. The car is now back at the paint shop so it can be repaired properly and the entire rear quarter will get re-cleared to help it blend in. The painter said he would also color sand a couple of spots where the paint shrunk and give it another cut and buff. He told me he used PPG dextron paint with 3 coats of clear and it was painted a little over a year ago... I feel much better about the paint work after meeting with the painter.
I also brought with me a couple of autolite 4100 carbs to see if we could get rid of the nasty stumbling/stalling when you put it in gear. No more stalling and it's running 10 times better with a carb I had bagged up on the shelf for the last 6yrs.
I'm waiting for the car to be finished before finalizing the deal and as of right now that looks like this Friday!

4/29/2014 3:11 PM  #11

John,
This is exciting, good luck on your purchase! Be sure to drive over one weekend so we see each other's car.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.