FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2013 2:59 PM  #1

Scarebird front disc conversion

Hi,  I don't know much about any of this stuff.

Right off the bat, I was wondering, if I do the conversion to disc, can I keep my stock wheels? 
(I know, WHY would you want to?? I'm just not ready for that expense right now.)

Also, do they give detailed instructions in these kits?  I'm starting from nothing in this department.  I've done a good amount of work on the car, but no drastic changes like this.

Thanks for any and all information!

('66 coupe 200ci, manual EVERYTHING)

4/25/2013 6:42 PM  #2

Re: Scarebird front disc conversion

the scarebird setup will require you to change wheels they need ones with 3" of backspacing instead of 3.5" like 65-66 wheels if you can locate some maverick 14" wheels they have 3" back spacing and looks stock.

ssbc kits will run with the stock wheels so will willwoods kits they make them in 4 lug now front and rear!!

4/25/2013 6:46 PM  #3

The Scarebird website confuses me.

We have:
"This will not fit inside the stock 13" rim but will fit inside the stock 14" rim if the offset is 3" or less."

And then we have:
"We also sell a version that WILL fit the deeper factory rims:"

I was unaware that 4 lug Ford wheels of that era came in different sizes. 

Also be prepared to have someone press out the old hubs from the drums, and press out the old lug nuts and then press in the new ones, and probably new races for new bearings as well.  Then there's the master cylinder issue.  Can you put on a new one and do a little plumbing? There are plenty of good people here who can help you through that. 

Since he has two kits for the 6 cyl cars just email them and ask straight out about the fit.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/25/2013 8:16 PM  #4

ok so it looks like they did make one for the older 3.5" backspacing wheels as for the backspacing of the wheels

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51287

this explanes the differnce in wheels

also DO NOT PRESS THE STUDS OUT OF THE HUBS!!!!!! the stud can become deformed or was done that way on purpose and will ream the hole bigger and ruin the hub i messed up 3 hubs before i figured this out get a 5/8 hold saw with out the pilot bit and cut the shoulder of the stud down the the surface of the hub then you can press them out otherwise you will be looking for another hub

Last edited by Xargon321 (4/25/2013 8:17 PM)

4/25/2013 9:28 PM  #5

I'm doing the scarebird thang too, as we speak. Mine is the older brackets that take the Ranger rotors (10") and S-10 calipers., and Maverick MC.. Suppose to fit inside 15" rumz no prob. Let's stay in touch.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/25/2013 10:25 PM  #6

Thanks Xargon for the info. That explains a lot. It would also help if people didn't confuse offset with back spacing. 

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/26/2013 3:22 PM  #7

Thanks for all the information, guys.  I have so much to think about now!

4/26/2013 10:33 PM  #8

Pete if you're willing to save up and change you're wheels you can get a Mustang steve 2008 brake brackets and use them i have them on my 65 mustang 6 cyl and even have them in 4 lug im also using 16" wheels MS has the pic i sent him of what i did. also i think he may be in progress of making a 4 lug kit as well.

4/27/2013 5:27 AM  #9

Hey Xargon,

I might just wait for that, then.

Though, according to "GLEVIN", I have the 'good' rims for the SacreBird.  Not sure what I'll do, just yet.  Thanks for all the good information.  I've always done things they way they left the factory.  But, we all know, the drums are a weak spot on these cars.  Thanks again!

4/27/2013 10:52 AM  #10

the scarebird swap is not for perfomance driving if that is you're eventual plan they use nissan stanza rotors that are like 9 1/2" or so but they would work for a driver. you can also look at wilwood they have just made a 4 lug brake kit that works with stock rims and is good for perfomance but you would have to buy stuff from them and not the local parts house.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.