FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2014 7:09 AM  #1

Spare tires,what do you use?

I hope that this does not jinx me but I have not carried a spare for quite a few years, I believe the last time was on a trip to the 40th  Mustang anniversary in Nashville.
 Trunk space is at a premium when we go on these long excursions.   My wife insists on bringing clothes and other stuff for just about any scenario because we often extend these MCA show trips by spending a week or so afterwards checking out other interesting attractions in that part of the country.
 I have a puncture sealant kit with an air pump and a AAA card that hopefully  gets me on the road again just in case of a dreaded flat.
 I also used to carry a pretty complete set of tools that I could use in case of mechanical problems but have even stopped doing that. I have a lot of confidence in the reliability of my car on long trips but am wondering if I am pushing my luck.
I am interested in what you guys do long high mileage trips fo flats and repairs.
 Oh yeah, all this is with a 46 year old Mustang.

Last edited by Rudi (5/19/2014 7:12 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/19/2014 7:20 AM  #2

Re: Spare tires,what do you use?

Rudi wrote:

I hope that this does not jinx me but I have not carried a spare for quite a few years, I believe the last time was on a trip to the 40th  Mustang anniversary in Nashville.
 Trunk space is at a premium when we go on these long excursions.   My wife insists on bringing clothes and other stuff for just about any scenario because we often extend these MCA show trips by spending a week or so afterwards checking out other interesting attractions in that part of the country.
 I have a puncture sealant kit with an air pump and a AAA card that hopefully  gets me on the road again just in case of a dreaded flat.
 I also used to carry a pretty complete set of tools that I could use in case of mechanical problems but have even stopped doing that. I have a lot of confidence in the reliability of my car on long trips but am wondering if I am pushing my luck.
I am interested in what you guys do long high mileage trips fo flats and repairs.

any mini tire on a rim that fits,,   good size for the trunk and will take you to any repair place 

5/19/2014 8:03 AM  #3

Rudi wrote:

Me too Rudi!!( be-sept I do carry tools!
6s6
"If you're not liv'in on the edge.....you're tak'in up too much space". Let each trip be an adventure!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (5/19/2014 4:44 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/19/2014 9:26 AM  #4

Fellers, I have the original B.F. Goodrich spare in my trunk. It still holds air and has no weather cracks. It does have about 1500 miles on it from vacation trips and flat tires. It DOES take up a LOT of trunk space but since thats what Ford put in there, that's what will stay in there. It's bias ply, so it's not something i'd rotate.

5/19/2014 12:52 PM  #5

I use a 94-04 Cobra spare.  The wheel itself is aluminum, saving five pounds over the 16" steel spare that a Mustang GT of that era would have had.  It sits pretty low in the trunk so you can put stuff on top of it.  Inverted, it makes a nice place to carry misc "stuff".  If you have big brakes, the 17" spare is a must.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/19/2014 2:10 PM  #6

I carry a full size spare on a standard 16 inch pony rim, and the donut just in case 2 tires go out.

Also carry a puncture repair kit, a complete tool set, a low profile standard jack to easily jack the car up in three pumps of handle, portable air pump, spare serpentine belt, fluids including oil, power steering fluid, antifreeze and transmission fluid for the trans and the top pump, head strap flashlight, and whatever else I can fit in that tiny tiny foxbody convertible trunk.   And yes AAA card.   Clothes go in the back seat.

I actually thought of using that luggage rack thats on the trunk and get a carrier bag to go on top of it. Uncool though... 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

5/19/2014 3:36 PM  #7

MarkinSC wrote:

I carry a full size spare on a standard 16 inch pony rim, and the donut just in case 2 tires go out.

Also carry a puncture repair kit, a complete tool set, a low profile standard jack to easily jack the car up in three pumps of handle, portable air pump, spare serpentine belt, fluids including oil, power steering fluid, antifreeze and transmission fluid for the trans and the top pump, head strap flashlight, and whatever else I can fit in that tiny tiny foxbody convertible trunk.   And yes AAA card.   Clothes go in the back seat.

I actually thought of using that luggage rack thats on the trunk and get a carrier bag to go on top of it. Uncool though... 

WOW...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

5/19/2014 4:55 PM  #8

MarkinSC wrote:

Mark , you need a trailer!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/19/2014 6:01 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

MarkinSC wrote:

Mark , you need a trailer!

IF you think I'm bad, you should see the wifes van.  She took a seat ouf of thw mini van because she carries a 3 drawer plastic cabinet full of stuff, food, blankets, water bottles, emergency kit, a bug out bag, several flashlights, floodlight, glo sticks, folding shovel, every possible medical aid in cvs from ointments, to bug repellant, clorox wipes, soap, antibacterial soap,  a TAS kit, a cooler full of water botles and canned food, the list is endless. 

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

5/19/2014 7:25 PM  #10

I Have a donut out of a wrecked car.  Dont remember EXACTLY what model car it was, all I know is it fits my car and it was FREE!!!

5/19/2014 7:46 PM  #11

I have my original 1965 14" steel with a brand new 195/75R-14. I am embarrished to say the previous spare was over twenty years old!

5/19/2014 8:02 PM  #12

I have a donut spare from a 99-04 Mustang that I carry in my 65. About the same height as my regular tires.

1966 Coupe, 1965 Fastback, 1968 Cougar

5/19/2014 8:49 PM  #13

I just got a 4"x17" compact spare unused from a 2007 Ford Freestyle for $45 and free shipping off eBay. It fits with my 17" Bullitt GT wheels. I used to carry a  compact spare from a 94. It's an aluminum wheel and only 15". I figure if I have 17" wheels, I should carry a 17" spare. I still have the T125/90R15-96M 15" spare if anyone is interested...... but it is 21 years old.

Last edited by Ron68 (5/19/2014 8:52 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/20/2014 4:51 PM  #14

In the 67 fastback, full size Goodyear rally gt2, 235 60 15, scissor jack, basic tool pack, not much room , it is a fast back. The 68 coupe, same thing, only difference, the 67 has the gray n black plaid trunk mat, the 68 the brown tan speckled thing. Both have matching tool bags with the mustang on it.

5/21/2014 3:27 AM  #15

One large can of Fix-A-Flat.
I've never had a flat in any mustang I ever owned.
My wife's camaro has had four in two years.
Must be a Ford thing..

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

8/04/2016 12:32 PM  #16

I have a 1965 mustang convertible with the 5 lug 14x 5.5 rims off of a 1977 Granada. Does anyone know of a donut spare tire that would fit?

8/04/2016 1:39 PM  #17

MikeW65 wrote:

I have a donut spare from a 99-04 Mustang that I carry in my 65. About the same height as my regular tires.

Have the same one! 

8/04/2016 4:15 PM  #18

I was over at BB's place one day, measured a donut rim of a toyota I think from memory.
It had a 41/2" bolt circle, same as fords.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

8/04/2016 4:47 PM  #19

50vert wrote:

I was over at BB's place one day, measured a donut rim of a toyota I think from memory.
It had a 41/2" bolt circle, same as fords.

I still have that one, Barry.  I think it came from my folk's 93 Acura Legend, won't clear my 08 GT binders so I have the same Cobra spare that MS uses.  Hardtop still has enough trunk space that I can still see out the back window when traveling to a bash, IYKWIM.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/04/2016 5:42 PM  #20

MWM wrote:

I have my original 1965 14" steel with a brand new 195/75R-14. I am embarrished to say the previous spare was over twenty years old!

I as well still use what Lee Iaccoca intended. Still mounted in the same place with the same jack and the same (albeit repro cover over it).

8/04/2016 7:04 PM  #21

Interesting, 2 threads on spare tires going at the same time.

I have been using donuts for a spare for some time.  That is for added space in the trunk.  I get them from pick a part for $10.  Brand new.  Just get one that fits over your front brakes.  Rim width is usually about 4", so there is no rubbing problem.  It is difficult to fine one that is less than 15", but it is ok to have a 15" spare with a 14" tire.  A little difference in tire diameter is not critical.  Besides, you should not be driving on a spare for more than 50 miles anyway.

I once drove my family from upstate NY to los angeles in my '66.Wife, baby son, and me.  I cobbled together a rack for the spare, so I could pack the trunk.  Worked for me.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/05/2016 8:55 AM  #22

I use a 2001 Cobra 17" spare.  It has an aluminum wheel (weighs five pounds less than the steel 16" spare from a regular Mustang).  It has a low profile tire that is the same height as the 245x45/17 tires on the car.  It will clear the big cobra brakes, but does have a lot of backspacing.  Still bolts up and will carry the car, but I bet steering will be a little touchy due to the extra backspacing.  I have never driven the car with it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.