FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2014 4:23 PM  #1

New play car

Well I was all over the place, fox body's. T-birds, big block cars, nothing felt right, I wanted something different but not so strange I couldn't find parts for, I wanted another ford, but not the typical small block,
I have made a purchase, I bought a 63 Falcon Futura two door sedan (post). I have a plan which is the best way for things to change. In lieu of big horse power I am going to stride towards extreme  light weight with moderate very reliable power, build a 200 or 250 in-line loose the 170. Add either a five or six speed, MS GT brake upgrade and suspension upgrades. Looking to make it light , nibble, and fun to drive while being somewhat efficient .  Will be looking for suggestions from all you six banger guys.

8/06/2014 5:11 PM  #2

Re: New play car

These guys know their six cylinders.

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/06/2014 5:23 PM  #3

A Ford 300 inline six would be a beast in that car. Unfortunately, it's too large (too tall, too long) to fit in the engine bay (unless, possibly, a lot of sheet metal mods were made).

A 250 will be about 2" taller than the smaller 200, 170, etc. six cylinder engines.  Using Maverick engines mounts will drop the 250 low enough to fit under the hood. The 250 is also a little longer than the other smaller sixes and likely to necessitate the use of an electric cooling fan.

8/06/2014 6:10 PM  #4

My first thoughts were the 250 upgrade but several of in-line six sights seem to like the 200 better for a street motor, revs faster. One of the priorities is adding AC so I would like to use a mechanical fan to leave room for the condenser. There is a company out there making an aluminum head option for the 200/250. I need to decide which motor so I can start gathering parts got the five speed swap , that is were the 250 would be nice due to same bell housing as the small block.

8/06/2014 6:54 PM  #5

Just a vehicle of interest... High 10 second turboed 250 in a '63 Falcon. Turbos make everything faster. 

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/green-gas-runnin-ford-falcon-turbo/

8/06/2014 7:56 PM  #6

Kar wrote:

I bought a 63 Falcon Futura two door sedan (post).

Very cool project. I too have a 63 Falcon Futura that came with a little 6 cyl, 144 I think. It had been much abused when my buddy rescued it from a pig pen in 1981 and we spent a lot of good evenings modifing it to accept a V-8. I still have it and plan on taking Old 6Sally6 for a spin in it some day.
I really like your idea of the inline six cylinder project. Keep us informed on progress.

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

8/06/2014 8:14 PM  #7

Stick to the 200! What the heck, it'll be unique (these days), an easy fit and plenty fun with plenty scoot! Build it right & tight and balance it good and 7k+ rpm is easy-peasy with that bottom end (7 vs. 4 main bearings). It's only maybe a 3000lb car, even loaded with Dynamat, AC, etc. Those current gen M-whatever Bimmers are running straight sixes and weigh a lot more'n that - smoke 'em with a antique! Just don't over-carb it...

Last edited by McStang (8/06/2014 8:43 PM)

(Pinto!)

8/06/2014 8:16 PM  #8

BTW, did ya read this? Made me think about just exactly what you're thinking about.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3566

(Pinto!)

8/06/2014 8:30 PM  #9

5.0 or 200.  Nothing else will change much.  The 200 with a five speed will cruise along at 80 MPH very smoothly and get great mileage.  Any six you put in there will be heavier and still sound like a six.  I think you will spend at least double what a good used 5.0 roller would cost you...

I love the 63 Falcon Sprint.  Great looking cars.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/06/2014 8:46 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

I think you will spend at least double what a good used 5.0 roller would cost you...

I love the 63 Falcon Sprint.  Great looking cars.

Yeah, but what was that quote about money wasted?

Last edited by McStang (8/06/2014 8:47 PM)

(Pinto!)

8/06/2014 9:51 PM  #11

And a KILLER 63 from Cali:

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_0807_63_ford_falcon/

Butt (TS&T) I still think a six could be bad-axx...

For the intermission: A great on-track vid of the owner/builder of the above with a happy passenger = mucho smiles per miles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtiBHqgeqKQ

Butt finally the feature-film / real deal on-track opus featuring epic battles is at the link below. The passing of two at 9:20 is as good as it gets and after that the rest of the carnage is just icing on the cake. I would like my next build to be a '63 Falcon. If it were hyped by a six-banger that dusted the big guys that would be pretty eff'in OK butt I might wimp out and install a v-8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmcBNJgtQts

(Pinto!)

8/06/2014 11:51 PM  #12

My main problem with my 200 and my brother's 200 was that the 5th & 6th cylinders like to elongate because that length of the engine causes the front to of it to sag.  Had quite a bit a power stock, but never could spin the wheels unless it was raining.  Mine was mated to a c4 though, so with a stick it'd be easier to break the tires loose.

8/07/2014 6:45 AM  #13

I agree with most of everything that is being said, and I know I could throw a 5.0 in it, shoot theres one of those sitting in the corner of the shed right now, but i have the 5.0 (331) AFR heads and all sorts of go fast goodies in the 68 coupe. I want something different that may also be more effecient while still being fun to drive.

Mustang Steve did we really need the aluminum 427, heck no, but its different from all those other windsor based motors. I may be suprised when done, but i know i wont save any money but i THINK i can do the six banger project for the same money as the V8. From what i have read the six is about 85-100 pounds lighter, and once i change to an aluminum head and intake that will help some more (I know I could do the same to the V8), trying to be different.If I build it with a V8 it really wont be any different than my Mustang.

I am not looking for 250 horsepower or more, I want 175-200 Horsepower to the rear tires, 200-250 lbs TQ, all at a low RPM range and with a flat curve. I want a silky smooth idle, set at 180 degrees in traffic, and while maybe unrealistc, with the 5-speed and about a 3.00-3.50< I would like 25-30 MPG at 70 MPH. 

I want to focus on Steering, braking, reliability, handling, and the different/cool factor.

I have been on and off this site for years, and part of others. This site has the best group of people I have ever seen, everyone is mature and more than willing to help, and able to tell someone there is a better way to do something without talking down to them. This is the only car site that i will let my three sons have access to, and my 12 year old reads it daily.

By the way guys, my wife (Martha) says i'll swap the six out for a V8 with-in six months of finishing the six banger, may haft to stick with the six just to prove a point.

8/07/2014 12:33 PM  #14

It'll be interesting to see what kind of fuel economy you can get and a six built like you're thinking could easily last 200k. Making it stop and turn good like your planning with that kind of mpg and it could be a sweet everyday driver. What's your time frame for the build? Real curious to see how it comes out.

(Pinto!)

8/07/2014 2:13 PM  #15

I am picking the car up this weekend, my thoughts are as follows:

The car looks fairly well from 10' away, so I will work on the mechanicals this fall and winter, so its ready to drive by spring. Then I can drive it next summer to work the bugs out, maybe make next years Bash trip.

After next summer, take everything apart and repaint, and freshin up the interior.

8/07/2014 2:17 PM  #16

This years Bash would be a 300 mile one way trip, not bad, but in a 170, 2 speed auto, could make for a long 300 miles.

8/07/2014 2:38 PM  #17

Why not consider the best trashed out running late model Mustang v-6 you can find and transplant the entire drivetrain?  

I think that would be different.  And cool.   And fufill all your requirements to boot.  

Ive always wanted to do it.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/07/2014 9:26 PM  #18

It would be a cool project to collect info from all the guys here on a "milege-maker" in stead of a hot rod. Anybody think a Falcar could average better than 30 mpg?!
I have a few ideas rolling around in this mostly empty head about getting "extra" MPG's.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/08/2014 6:27 AM  #19

I took my drivers test in 1965 in my brother's shiney new Mustang coupe with the 6 cyl and 4 speed. That car was just flat out fun to drive because it handled so well. We did the Shelby drop and stronger springs (lowered) and sway bars. That thing would turn out from under you. We added a panhard bar to keep the rear tires off of the fenders and such too. When I finally got to drive a friends 289 HiPo, I thought this thing is a pig! With all the weight up front it just wasn't the same. I would stick with the 6 and the 5 speed.

8/08/2014 6:50 AM  #20

I think the milage aspect is were I'm heading. Why can't the falcon get better than 20 in town and 30 on the hwy. and still be fun to drive. And look cool.

My work car is a 2014 ford focus that weighs 2986 lbs with 160hp, 144tq, and I average 34 in town and 41 on the hwy, and with the five speed it is a blast to drive.

The falcon should be 2500lbs or maybe less, specifications say just over 2300lbs, it should have the same HP, with more TQ at a lower rpm. I think there is a balance out there between fun and efficient. Let's face it, most of us drive these old cars due to their style and the fact they are different. If I just wanted power I would buy a late model stang.

With my plan of great brakes, tight steering, comfortable ride, five speed. 8.8 rear, everything will be there if I ever decide to swap to a v8.

One last comment, I do a lot of work and upgrades on pre 70's fords for family, friends, and others. The first thing I tell everyone when they ask me to make performance changes to their car, is be honest about how they will use the car, I have made this mistake several times, we build these cars in a way that we see ourselves hitting the drag strip or autocross every weekend, when more times we just want to cruise to local hangouts, run some errands, make a cross country trip to a bash. I think the more efficient, comfortable, reliable my car is, the more I will drive it.

Don't think I have lost my mind , the 68 has a stroked 331, five speed, explorer 8.8, which is apart getting 4.10's, it has cal-tracs, slicks, and is a blast in short burst .

8/08/2014 3:50 PM  #21

Maybe a straight 6 BMW or Nissan engine.  Something modern that will really move and get some mileage.  Don't forget the Fast N Loud 63 Falcon race car...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/09/2014 7:13 AM  #22

Ok, you said different was fun...

I have a bud who researched this and was convinced enough it would work that they hunted down and bought the donor vehicle, but they haven't gotten time to act on the plan yet.  That's my disclaimer...

There are "bread trucks" running around (like UPS trucks), that have four cylinder turbo diesel engines in them that get crazy good mileage and are capable of cranking out about 350 hp with all sorts of low end torque. No high revving though. Cummins builds them.  As I understand it, this is like the 8 cyl engine we'd find in a Ford truck, except sliced in half to make a V-4.  Their intent was to slip it into a Jeep, but they said they thought it would be easier to slide it into my Mustang mated to the T-5 than stuffing it into the Jeep. Apparently the older versions of these trucks had a 302 before they converted to the diesel. I'll see if I can find some links to comparable projects.

A diesel Falcon would be different!

Lance

8/09/2014 7:45 AM  #23

You'd start with something like this:

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html

Here, they're mating a cummins 4BT with a vintage Bronco...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0905dp_cummins_diesel_engine_swap/?__federated=1

How about a crown vic? We're getting closer..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYAnvSEVLBY

And finally, a mustang, kind of... Not really...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KpE_ag0Us

You wanted non-conventional... :-)

8/09/2014 8:44 AM  #24

Lance wrote:

You'd start with something like this:

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html

Here, they're mating a cummins 4BT with a vintage Bronco...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0905dp_cummins_diesel_engine_swap/?__federated=1

How about a crown vic? We're getting closer..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYAnvSEVLBY

And finally, a mustang, kind of... Not really...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KpE_ag0Us

You wanted non-conventional... :-)

Talk about smoky burnouts, It just ain't right, If  Ya looking for I6 power try an early Datsun 280 or 240Z  loads of power plenty of stuff available on the used and new market.

Last edited by bulletbirdman (8/09/2014 9:35 AM)

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/09/2014 2:09 PM  #25

I'm really lik'en that diesel idea!! Huge torque curve and tall rear gears= great MPG!
Plus when you stop at a truck stop for FUEL....all the good old boyz will be all over it!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.