FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2014 6:50 AM  #26

Re: Electrical issue with charging

Does your harness still have that 3 wire bullet plug between the alternator/solenoid and the regulator?  It's possible that the contacts have become a little corroded and all the excitation voltage from the regulator is not getting to the alternator, or the regulator is not correctly sensing the battery voltage.  If you can find it try mating and demating it a few times to wipe the contacts clean.

Also, there is a test you can do although I don't recall the exact details -- I think you temporarily jump the field and stator terminals on the alternator while measuring the output voltage.  It should go up - forcing the alternator to put out it's maximum. 

Also check to be sure your alternator is grounded well.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

8/19/2014 8:16 AM  #27

John Ha wrote:

Does your harness still have that 3 wire bullet plug between the alternator/solenoid and the regulator?  It's possible that the contacts have become a little corroded and all the excitation voltage from the regulator is not getting to the alternator, or the regulator is not correctly sensing the battery voltage.  If you can find it try mating and demating it a few times to wipe the contacts clean.

Also, there is a test you can do although I don't recall the exact details -- I think you temporarily jump the field and stator terminals on the alternator while measuring the output voltage.  It should go up - forcing the alternator to put out it's maximum. 

Also check to be sure your alternator is grounded well.

Thanks, John.  Yes, that is the suspect plug.  I wired around it with no change.  Also had previously cleaned it up, but wires inside the plug could be compromised.  Shows less than 0.5 ohm resistance but that is only at current level provided by the test gauge.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/19/2014 9:13 AM  #28

I chased the same thing a couple of years back when i went to the Optima battery. I found a rebuild kit for the alternator on line that made it 100 amp and internal regulator. It uses the three wire hook-up and works well, voltmeter always reads 14V.

8/19/2014 9:35 AM  #29

Feed field wire with 12V to force Alt to put out max voltage and amperage. Try it at regulator plug to verify field wire from reg to alt
Howard

8/19/2014 1:23 PM  #30

It is now working properly.

I replaced the high amp alternator with the new one from Autozone.  I installed by 289 Hipo pulley and the chrome fan from the old alternator onto the new one.  Also changed out the alternator harness since the old one had the clip-on attachments for the two small wires.

Started the car and immediately went to 14 volts on the gauge.  Voltage fluctuated at idle between 14 and 12.5 when I turned all the electrical stuff on.  Drove the car on the highway and it read 14 volts the entire time.  Idles at about 12.5 to 13 volts.  Life is good.  Yeah, I know.  Since I changed two things, I will never know which one was really at fault.  At this point I don't care.

Moral of this story:
I learned this lesson when I was about 18 years old and driving a 70 MACH I.  I have used the upcoming advice many times over the years but was hesitant to remove my shiny polished alternator for one that worked.  OK, so what is that lesson?

If you are having electric issues, replace the alternator and voltage regulator and all will be well.  If starter related, replace the starter.  It is cheap enough on these cars to replace all three items and barely spend $100.  If I had done that in the first place, I would not have been messin with this for three or more alternator removals/reinstalls.  The shotgun approach to electrical system repair !!!

That polished alternator case was too shiny to be under my hood anyway...

8/19/2014 2:15 PM  #31

Do you think this was the root cause of your EFI woes?

8/19/2014 2:26 PM  #32

dancing in the street time, just this time keep your pants on,,  

bet everthing from fuel pump to lights will work a lot better,,  

8/19/2014 4:07 PM  #33

MustangSteve wrote:

It is now working properly.

I replaced the high amp alternator with the new one from Autozone.  I installed by 289 Hipo pulley and the chrome fan from the old alternator onto the new one.  Also changed out the alternator harness since the old one had the clip-on attachments for the two small wires.

Started the car and immediately went to 14 volts on the gauge.  Voltage fluctuated at idle between 14 and 12.5 when I turned all the electrical stuff on.  Drove the car on the highway and it read 14 volts the entire time.  Idles at about 12.5 to 13 volts.  Life is good.  Yeah, I know.  Since I changed two things, I will never know which one was really at fault.  At this point I don't care.

Moral of this story:
I learned this lesson when I was about 18 years old and driving a 70 MACH I.  I have used the upcoming advice many times over the years but was hesitant to remove my shiny polished alternator for one that worked.  OK, so what is that lesson?

If you are having electric issues, replace the alternator and voltage regulator and all will be well.  If starter related, replace the starter.  It is cheap enough on these cars to replace all three items and barely spend $100.  If I had done that in the first place, I would not have been messin with this for three or more alternator removals/reinstalls.  The shotgun approach to electrical system repair !!!

That polished alternator case was too shiny to be under my hood anyway...

I swap the old polished case for the new one - - -  I need shiny ;)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/19/2014 4:29 PM  #34

I installed a Vintage Air HVAC setup in Al McGee's 65 fastback, and hos blower blew harder than mine.  Not any more !  Maybe this was the cause of alot of problems.  We shall see.

Now to move on to the next problem...  BASH THRASH is in full swing, and the WYAIT MONSTER is watching !!!!!!!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.