FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2015 3:52 PM  #1

I tried...I really did butt......................

after watching the last third of the Talledaga race I can't believe what NASCAR has done to auto racing!
I am sooo sick of the "phoney-balogna-good time rock'nroll mess" they have made of racing.
How can the first 3/4 of the race be run with ZERO caution flags but the last 6 or 8 laps have "the big one" and wrecks galore?!?!!
DON'T say..."well that's rac'in!" cause it ain't!
Its manufactured drama/reality TV at its finest.
For years I heard rumors about a designated team "getting-the-call" before hand about who will win and who will lose.  Now I'm convinced it's all rigged for big sponsors and "good TV".
Sad.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/25/2015 4:07 PM  #2

Re: I tried...I really did butt......................

I'm with ya.  Also glade it was the 22 and not the 88.  The F1 race was more exciting.  Lots of passing for the lead.

Volvo!

10/25/2015 4:08 PM  #3

sal, are you really trying to say that your guy was losing the race..........

10/25/2015 4:18 PM  #4

I liked Winston Cup Racing.

10/25/2015 5:52 PM  #5

Dont get me started on Football!!  Godell has made it a sissy league w/ all his politically correct crap.  I cant tell you the last time Ive watched ESPN.

10/25/2015 6:17 PM  #6

josh-kebob wrote:

sal, are you really trying to say that your guy was losing the race..........

First race I've watched in 3 years!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/26/2015 7:11 AM  #7

They need to change their name to National Association of Spec Car Automobile Racing. There was a time when they were actually based on stock cars running engines available to the public.(at least 500 of them) Boss 429's, Hemi's, etc....  Ah for the good ol days.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

10/26/2015 7:11 AM  #8

Its really all about major corporations in competition with each other, fighting over more money and more power. As fans and spectators, we are caught somewhere in the middle being cheated and lied to about it.

10/26/2015 11:09 AM  #9

You boys might not have to worry about NASCAR much longer. Attendance continues to drop at the races. It's typical to see the stands half empty. Sponsorships are getting harder to find. Another ten years of this death spiral and the France family and Bruton Smith will have to retire to their money bins to count their billions.

Let me tell you a story I personally observed. About twelve years ago, some of the movers and shakers of Houston decided that having a NASCAR track and race (or two) a year would be a good economic shot in the arm and the aforementioned movers and shakers could make a lot of money. So these m&s found themselves a piece a land about twelve miles south of Houston that was big enough for a racing complex, was on a major highway to get the traffic in and out. They had renderings done that showed how wonderful their new racetrack with condos would be. They hired a PR firm to get the word out and got their pictures on TV and in the paper putting up the sign showing where their new racetrack would be. Only then did they actually contact the current reigning member of the France family to inform him that they were ready to build a track and join NASCAR, so would you please tell us the dates of our race(s) so we can publicize them and sell tickets. It was at that point they were told that the NASCAR inner circle built their own racetracks and only racetracks owned by the inner circle got race dates. There were no dates in the season open, so to assign a date to a new track, an existing track would have to give up a date, which was not going to happen. After this brutally applied piece of reality the Houston Movers and Shakers slunk back to their mega car dealerships to sell another 100,000 cars a year to further clog the roads around Houston. They didn't bother taking down their sign at the site of their racetrack folly. I drove past that sign about twice a week until the elements claimed it and it recycled to mush. And that is how NASCAR works.

10/26/2015 1:24 PM  #10

You always tell such happy and cheerful stories Hornman. 
I quit watching when it became all Danica all the time.

10/26/2015 4:36 PM  #11

Mochaman wrote:

You always tell such happy and cheerful stories Hornman. 
I quit watching when it became all Danica all the time.

HUMMM THATS exactly when I watch,,  she seems to get rear ended and spun out weekly WAIT!!  Her car gets rear ended and spun out weekly    

10/26/2015 4:43 PM  #12

I remember hearing about the track south of Houston and always wondered what happened to it. Oh well, now I know.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/26/2015 4:59 PM  #13

I was there at Talladega. I want to tell you the stands were full of PO'ed fans.
Championships have become farces, staged for TV revenue, with no regard to actual fans.
G W C format Sux.

Tubo in Talladega

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

10/26/2015 5:03 PM  #14

Yep!!! ALOTA folks have NASCAR stories. 
In "my" expert opinion its all a rues.
The team owners and NASCAR biggies designate who wins and who doesn't to keep the game interesting.(or the fans interested) One big soap opera.
Why else would ALL cars be within 10 HP/MPH of each other......why else put the nix on individual experimental thought/trying new stuff still within the rigid rule system... some tracks need a restrictor plate but this track doesn't...this driver hates that driver and this driver is a crook and that driver gets suspended etc. etc.
Manufactured drama to sell more tickets.
Butt like Hornman aluded to....the charade is about to come to an end.
Maybe the "new and improved" racing will be .....if the manufactures sell it..race it..........if they don't..they won't.
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (10/26/2015 5:04 PM)

10/26/2015 7:02 PM  #15

Kind of like if Mansfield, TX decided to create a new NFL football stadium and team, called the Hornmen.  They would need to get in with the in crowd or they would have no one to play against other than the Midlothian Panthers high school team.  I don't think you can just invite yourself in when there is a major organization with scheduled events.

I quit following NASCAR in 1979 after sitting in the infield watching the same exact five cars follow each other in the same exact order for 400 miles.  Prior to that I worked part time as a fireman at the College Station track.  I put out a fire in Bobby Unser's car once.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/26/2015 7:38 PM  #16

Looks to me like most racing is coming down to a "SPEC" type of thing. All the rules folks are hell bent on equalizing the competition. So why is it still called competition? I liked the more open times when you saw turbines show up at the 500 and more unlimited stuff.

11/02/2015 4:37 PM  #17

This may play right into your theory, but it was pretty sweet to see Kenseth pyle drive Lagano into the wall after Lagano took out Kenseth a couple weeks ago.

11/02/2015 4:55 PM  #18

Yep! Makes GREAT daytime TV!!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.