FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2016 11:01 PM  #51

Re: FItech Fuel injection anyone?

KeithP wrote:

Guys that are thinking of Installing the FiTech. Where are you planning on installing the vent/rollover valve for the fuel tank? 

Haven't decided yet.  It is still on backorder.  But thinking about where the windshield washer goes.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/21/2016 4:12 AM  #52

lowercasesteve wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Guys that are thinking of Installing the FiTech. Where are you planning on installing the vent/rollover valve for the fuel tank? 

Haven't decided yet.  It is still on backorder.  But thinking about where the windshield washer goes.

You talking about the fuel sump(Fuel Command center)? The fuel sump needs to be vented and the installation instructions says it is to be vented outside the engine bay.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/21/2016 8:29 AM  #53

KeithP wrote:

lowercasesteve wrote:

KeithP wrote:

You talking about the fuel sump(Fuel Command center)? The fuel sump needs to be vented and the installation instructions says it is to be vented outside the engine bay.

I was thinking of running a rubber hose from the command center along the fuel line and maybe vent into
the Fuel neck tube.   Thought I might go to Menards and see what will work if I drill a hole in the filler neck.  Need to get something coming out to connect the vent hose too.  

3/21/2016 9:26 PM  #54

Here is how I did my vent. I welded  a cut piece of a pipe threaad nipple into the filler neck. Went with upgraded rubber hose with a barrier built in.

3/21/2016 9:27 PM  #55

Unit with air cleaner on.

3/21/2016 9:29 PM  #56

Unit without air cleaner.

3/21/2016 9:30 PM  #57

Command center.

3/21/2016 9:32 PM  #58

Overall pic with both unit and comand center.

3/21/2016 9:40 PM  #59

Thanks, DBrown.  Now, the $64 question(s).  How does it run?  How do you like it?  Cold vs warm start?  Drivability?  etc.  etc

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/21/2016 9:46 PM  #60

I have been wanting to post a review of the unit but wanted to get some things sorted out first. Only problem I have had is starting isuues. When first installed the unit it would take multiple attemps to start. It would always fire but would only run for half a second. It would start and run after about 4-5 attemps. I called Fitech and they had me go through some things which seemed to work at the time but then it would not start the first thing the next day. It is now starting on the second attempt fairly regularly when cold. I feel like it should start the first attempt like a modern car. 
 It self learns and I do not have very many mile on it. So I want to drive it more and see if it gets better by self learning. I tried to screw in the idle air adjustment screw which made it start better but the idle never came down to where it was supposed to be.
Overall the car runs good when started. good throttle response. Good power. Just need to get it to start on the first try when cold.

3/22/2016 4:04 PM  #61

Is that filler tube Steel?   I didn't think it was a metal you could weld to.  Thanks for the Great Pics?  Hope your cold starts get better too! 

3/22/2016 4:36 PM  #62

Thanks for the pictures.
I bought the Tanks Inc fuel tank that has the fuel pump in the tank. So the vent connection is on the top of the gas tank. I think that I will attach the vent to the filler tube like you have it. Not sure how I am going to attach the bung for the hose though, the filler barely fits through the hole in the rear body panel. 

The reprduction gas cap I have is vented and also has the anti-slosh valve in it. I have noticed that sometimes when I am taking the gas cap off it sucks in air. .I took it apart several times and it seems to be working correctly though. I think it will get worse with the higher fuel pressures. My plan is to see if I can drill a bigger hole for venting without messing up that anti-slosh valve. I assume that valve also acts as the rollover valve?

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/22/2016 4:57 PM  #63

The tanks inc. tank seems like a good way to go. The filler neck is steel and easily weldable. I believe it has a galvanized coating you will need to grind off in the area of welding.
 I had to modify the lower mounting bracket for the command center. The two brackets are lined up vertically, so if you mounted it on the slanted side of the engine compartment it would not be level. I cut a section out of the lower bracket about the width of the fitech logo and welded it back together.
 As you can see in the pic, you have to weld the nipple almost flush with the filler neck so it fits through the hole in body and the support. I left it up just a little , just enough so I could weld it. I did not use the whole nipple. Just cut off what I needed off one end.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.