FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2013 1:41 PM  #1

Have you bought a new 5 gallon gasoline container lately?

I keep one on hand in case I need to refuel the Mustang, or the mower.

All the newer ones have so many safety features on them they are totally impossible to use.  Try lifting a 5 gallon gas can, full of fuel, while you twist this knob, or push this lever or whatever other gadget they have on the spout.  Then, the air return line is so small it takes forever to get the gas to come out of the can !!!  Very frustrating to use.  No air vent on the tank itself, so it goes real slow, you have to hold the lever on the spout so anything comes out, and it is very awkward to do all that trying to fill the John Deere.  I wonder what lawsuit brought all THAT on????? 

Anyone else have these problems?  Did you find a way to bypass it?  I have purchased three 5 gallon plastic gas cans trying to find one that is actually able to be usable.  So, I just use the new ones to transport fuel home, then pour the fuel into the old one so it can be poured into the mower.  They have made them totally unusable.  Government helping us stay safe, I guess...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/16/2013 1:55 PM  #2

Re: Have you bought a new 5 gallon gasoline container lately?

your last sentence summed it up..........uncle sugar trying to protect us from ourselves.....

6/16/2013 2:14 PM  #3

I think it depends on what state you live in. In Mississippi its still the old style ( plastic) spout with an air bleed, last job I did in California used a can that had more gizmo's than an f-18 mostly to prevent as you say vapor or fuel or anything else from escaping and polluting our pristine enviroment.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

6/16/2013 2:48 PM  #4

I have one of the plastic 5-gallon gas jugs like you are talking about that I keep in the bed of my truck.

My gas gauge doesn't read right so I keep 5-gallons on hand --just incase there isn't as much fuel in the tank as I thought there was.

My gas jug has the same irritating arrangement as yours. It's hard to hold 40 lbs of fuel up while it trickles into the tank at a snails pace.

You're only in your 50's though. You haven't been around long enough to know how to be safe or how to protect yourself from yourself. You should take solice in the fact that your nanny state is looking out for your best interests.

6/16/2013 3:32 PM  #5

Yes it's very aggravating.  In Indiana they now sell a kit that you can buy to do away with all the safety crap butt(TS) it just adds another 9-10 bucks to the 10 you just gave for the new can. I don't know if it's the gov't or the can manufacturers trying to screw everyone. The way they are with the safety crap pretty much makes them unuseable. The stream is so slow you would think they have a prostate problem.(Not that I would know anything about that)

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/16/2013 3:39 PM  #6

1st it was r12 freon from Mex.  Now empty gas cans,,,  

6/16/2013 3:55 PM  #7

I also found that the first one I bought was pretty much impossible to use.  Since then I have bought a couple of the old style at yard sales.  I make sure they are clean and in good condition.

6/16/2013 3:58 PM  #8

bulletbirdman wrote:

I think it depends on what state you live in. In Mississippi its still the old style ( plastic) spout with an air bleed, last job I did in California used a can that had more gizmo's than an f-18 mostly to prevent as you say vapor or fuel or anything else from escaping and polluting our pristine enviroment.

Looks like I need one from Mississippi.  I guess I can pick one or two up on the way back from the bash.

6/16/2013 4:44 PM  #9

They are nothing but a PITA. With all the fumbling around you end up spilling gas. Every time our government tries to help, they make things worse.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/16/2013 7:38 PM  #10

The war time "Jerry" cans were the best, they would dump the entire contents in seconds. I think there is a plastic replica made by someone but cant remember where I saw it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/16/2013 8:49 PM  #11

I had a bright idea to check ebay for used cans.  Used 5 gallon plastic cans that do not have the new EPA regulated spouts are going for big bucks!  Typically double the price of a new one that has the EPA stuff !!!

6/16/2013 9:08 PM  #12

i recently picked up a couple of these new in the box for $15 at a antique/salvage store. i figure i'll save them for when my old style plastic  jugs give out.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EAGLE-Type-I-Safety-Can-2W313?Pid=search

before too long, 5 gal cans will classify you as a terrorist, we'll all have to use 1 gal jugs & refill them alot!

6/16/2013 10:01 PM  #13

When my Mustang's tank sprang a leak at the gas station, I bought a couple of the new cans at the auto parts store next door (plus a siphon hose). Those cans have a couple of paragraphs of legalese embossed into the side. The firemen helping me commented that the new style cans "weren't worth a s***."

6/17/2013 5:32 AM  #14

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/17/2013 6:32 AM  #15

Bright spot on a Monday morn.......

Poop Boyz sells those durn cans BUTT......we also sell a Water can the same size and same material WITHOUT the fancy-smancy-protect- me-from-my-self-cause-I can't-pour gas-out-of-a-can-unless-the-directions-are-on-the-bottom..nozzle. I sell more of those than the gas cans. The only diff is...its blue not red!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/17/2013 9:16 AM  #16

I don't kow if all states are the same, but in PA I think blue cans are for kerosene. This way you don't mix kerosene and gas.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/17/2013 1:14 PM  #17

imagine working the stupid gas can with Parkinson's Disease.  Sure, i'm only 44, but with basically one hand functioning and the other hand hit-and-miss, the cans are miserable!  i otta sue the manufacturer for producing non ADA compliant products! 

Parkinson's, it's not just for old folks

6/17/2013 1:24 PM  #18

I go to many estate sales and there's always several at each sale and many time they're the old metal cans.   I better start buying them now.

Greg Z

6/17/2013 7:26 PM  #19

wsinsle wrote:

I don't kow if all states are the same, but in PA I think blue cans are for kerosene. This way you don't mix kerosene and gas.

Yeah.......just write GAS on the outside with a MajicMarker.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/18/2013 3:26 PM  #20

I had to fight with a small 1-2 gal can I bought at a gas station when I ran out of gas recently. I'll have to see if the extra old spigot I've got fits it? How about one of those jerry cans mentioned from an army/navy store?
Jon

'67 Coupe 289 stroked to 333ci, AOD, 9" Candyapple red ;'09 Warriors In Pink, Black with glass roof - the wifes Mustang.

6/18/2013 3:50 PM  #21

We sell about 25 of those cans a week at West Marine.  We also get about 24 returns a week because they wont work, then the person goes and buys the blue water can and walks out the door with a working can that they can re-mark for gas.

6/18/2013 7:35 PM  #22

I tried using the old spout from my old can.  It fit perfect and did not leak!  Only problem there is NO VENT on the can so the gas won't come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem with the new spouts.  One has a separate channel for the air to go back in, but if you have it tipped up to get the gas in the mower, the fuel level covers the vent as well, and then the gas won't come out.  I read somewhere that EPA is behind all this, and that it is now illegal for a gas can to have a VENT on it!

Solution...  Luckily my John Deere has a very large fuel fill cap.  I will try just removing the whole spout and pour from the big opening.

Maybe I should just drive it the .4 miles to the Shell station and fill it up like the car.

6/18/2013 8:10 PM  #23

I go old school and take the spout off and use a funnel

6/19/2013 8:45 AM  #24

OK, I figured out how to get a vent in the can so the gas will pour out.  A threaded metal valve stem for mag wheels will work.  Don't use the rubber gasket just in case fuel will deteriorate it.  Theoretically, it will never touch fuel, though so there should be no worry of leakage.  Plus it is on the top, above the max fill line.

Drill a hole in the can opposite the filler neck, making the hole a snug fit on the threads of the valve stem.  Use a coathanger wire stuck through the small hole in the can, routed out the larger fill hole.  Attach the valve stem to the coathanger wire by bending the end of the wire like a hook.  Pull the wire and valve stem through the small hole and snug down the nut.  Use a valve stem cap (metal preferred, just in case) to seal it.  Just remove the cap like you would with a normal vented can when pouring fuel.

TA-DA !

Of course, I am sure this violates several new federal regulations that ban having vents on gasoline containers, so I would NEVER recommend that anyone do this.  Now that all the mattress tags in the USA have been removed, those policers of such policies will need something new to look out for.

Now, where's my 3/8" drill bit?

6/19/2013 9:48 AM  #25

MustangSteve wrote:

OK, I figured out how to get a vent in the can so the gas will pour out.  A threaded metal valve stem for mag wheels will work.  Don't use the rubber gasket just in case fuel will deteriorate it.  Theoretically, it will never touch fuel, though so there should be no worry of leakage.  Plus it is on the top, above the max fill line.

Drill a hole in the can opposite the filler neck, making the hole a snug fit on the threads of the valve stem.  Use a coathanger wire stuck through the small hole in the can, routed out the larger fill hole.  Attach the valve stem to the coathanger wire by bending the end of the wire like a hook.  Pull the wire and valve stem through the small hole and snug down the nut.  Use a valve stem cap (metal preferred, just in case) to seal it.  Just remove the cap like you would with a normal vented can when pouring fuel.

TA-DA !

Of course, I am sure this violates several new federal regulations that ban having vents on gasoline containers, so I would NEVER recommend that anyone do this.  Now that all the mattress tags in the USA have been removed, those policers of such policies will need something new to look out for.

Now, where's my 3/8" drill bit?

"LMFAO"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.